Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i have both a centro and a blackberry. i dont like carrying them both all the time, so several months ago i but some of my contacts into the bb. then google sync came out and stated using that.

this morning though, i looked at the contact in google and in the central. I manuall added those that i needed to.

which wasnt many.

I also then added the pictures to google contacts.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I have two ways to do this:

1-Export from Palm Desktop to CSV file, then Import into Google contacts and dedupe.

2-Goosync my contacts with Google and dedupe.

I tried to do the CSV thing, hoping I could make it easier, but it wouldnt import my CSV file. Maybe I have to put it in a certain order. I may just start the Goosync contacts (I have been using Goosync for the last year or two to sync my Calendar and tasks) and just be done with it. I want to get that done so I can dedupe and get it ready for the Pre Saturday.
    Wow! I forgot to select all records in Palm Desktop...so I did and exported it to vCard and imported it into GMail and it was EASY!!!! I just cleaned up my contacts on my lunch break!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    How are things going for the Windows users out there because I'm syncing from OSX Address Book and the fields aren't matching up. Most of my entries don't have phone numbers and there's no field for info like birthdays or other things that I like to keep attached to my contacts. And also, contact photos aren't syncing from computer to "cloud" which means a lot of work will be necessary to redo all my contact photos.

I'll wait and see if somehow the Pre can figure all this out for me, but so far I'm not a fan of Google Contacts. Especially considering how well the iPhone managed to keep all my contacts perfectly aligned.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    1. Mac OS X - Address Book
    2. Demo of Spanning Sync
    3. Took a little while for the first sync but it went smoothly. All the contacts showed up. I made sure to clear my Google Contacts first to prevent any duplicates or conflicts.
    4. Nearly everything transfered including pictures. Only things missing are birthday and website.
    thats what I did and it worked like a charm
    I tried the vCard transfer from Palm Desktop to Google and it was a hiorrible transfer. The fields were all screwed up. It sounds like you guys didnt have that problem. Whats up with that? What am I doing wrong?
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I tried the vCard transfer from Palm Desktop to Google and it was a hiorrible transfer. The fields were all screwed up. It sounds like you guys didnt have that problem. Whats up with that? What am I doing wrong?
    I had to rename some of my business contacts (I only put the name of the business in and nothing in the first or last name fields) but other than that, everything seemed to be good. I did notice some phone numbers and addresses were labeled incorrectly (some work numbers were home, etc) but I think its because of the 'Main' label does not exist in Google, so they defaulted to Work.
    Manually, CSV.....also keeping contact in Outlook...so I can do that "one-time" data transfer to the Pre.

IGO
    Last edited by IGoDwnTwn34; 06/03/2009 at 07:00 AM.
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I had to rename some of my business contacts (I only put the name of the business in and nothing in the first or last name fields) but other than that, everything seemed to be good. I did notice some phone numbers and addresses were labeled incorrectly (some work numbers were home, etc) but I think its because of the 'Main' label does not exist in Google, so they defaulted to Work.
    You renamed your business contacts in Palm Desktop before the transfer? I guess I can just try again but I dont know what happened. The addresses and a bunch of other stuff were not transfered correctly. It went from nice and organized in Palm Desktop to info all over the place in Google Contacts. Help!
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Just wanted to drop a reminder to my Mac-using brethren ready to buy a Pre this weekend, there's a great, reasonably-priced program called Spanning Sync, which goes beyond the simple Google sync available in Address Book or iCal (for one, it allows photos and it updates every so many minutes as long as your computer is running). I've found it invaluable keep my Google Contacts and Calendar synced to my MobileMe-connected stuff.

Best of all, the Spanning Sync folks have a program where current users can refer a friend, which gets you $5 off the cost of the program. If anyone's interested, here's a link to my promo code so you can check it out (they also have a 15-day free trial download available). Highly recommended!

http://spanningsync.com/?r=W4FHUM
    Last edited by JRBTempe; 06/02/2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Update link
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    You renamed your business contacts in Palm Desktop before the transfer? I guess I can just try again but I dont know what happened. The addresses and a bunch of other stuff were not transfered correctly. It went from nice and organized in Palm Desktop to info all over the place in Google Contacts. Help!
    No.

I renamed them in Google Contacts once I imported them. Like I said, I didnt have fields going into other fields (an addy going into a phone number, etc), I only had an issue where phone numbers that were listed as 'Main' (same as addresses) would go into Google as 'Work'. I didnt comb through all of my contacts but as I was deduping the ones I imported, I noticed those issues.
    I manually synched Outlook contacts with Google by tweaking the csv in Excel.

One thing that really helped in Excel which others may appreciate was the concatenate command, I made a column called name and used concatenate to smush last name, first name for the name field. I did the same with address (concatenate for address, address2, city, state, country, zip). That was quite zippy and I was pretty full of myself until.....

I could not pull the email addies into the email field. I have named the column in the csv email, Email, EMAIL, Home Email (even though not true), basically everything I could think of to try and match it up, no luck. :-(

As is, the email addies appear in notes but I am not sure that is findable (if that is a word) as a valid email address by Pre, therefore somewhat defeating the purpose. And no way I am going through my meager 500 contacts manually -- what if I have to do this again in the future (or monthly to keep outlook /gmail current)?

I tried importing the csv both into the stand-alone contacts app as well as through gmail -- any suggestions?

Thanks
    i did this last month w/ google sync and outlook, all the contacts and calender entries look great no issues as far as how they import back and forth between outlook, google and my Q.... which for contacts my phone is the first in the series... calender works either way
    No.

I renamed them in Google Contacts once I imported them. Like I said, I didnt have fields going into other fields (an addy going into a phone number, etc), I only had an issue where phone numbers that were listed as 'Main' (same as addresses) would go into Google as 'Work'. I didnt comb through all of my contacts but as I was deduping the ones I imported, I noticed those issues.
    So everything else was transferd correctly other than the "main/work" thing? And this was a CSV file from Palm Desktop imported into Google contacts?
    There is no spoon
    oops.. just checked my google contact link... its missing a few so i guess it does not update automagically from outlook and i have to do another csv
    i used googlesync from my blackberry...it was really easy....someone on this forum pointed me in that direction (i dont remember who) but thanks!
    Gsync (for windows mobile) only seems to sync from google to the mobile device, and not the other way around

Is there a way to directly sync from Outlook to Google ?
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I believe this only works if you have an iPhone or iPod touch. Also, this doesn't include pictures that are in Address Book.
    It works directly through the OS X Address Book under Preferences. You have the option to do it with an iPhone through iTunes, but that is not the only way.

For me it syncs photos too.
    I have spent a great deal of time inputting contacts into GMail from my old Motorola ic902. I put over 230 contacts in and 90% of them have pictures attached.

Will the Pre automatically use the pictures in my GMail contact list?

Also, will the Pre automatically use the groups in my GMail contact list?
    Last edited by Gilligan3816; 06/03/2009 at 04:34 AM.
    Gilligan3816;
    I have spent a great deal of time inputting contacts into GMail from my old Motorola ic902. I put over 230 contacts in and 90% of them have pictures attached.
    I use Motorola Mobile Phone Tools (I too own a Moto ic902 and love it) to transfer into Outlook I don't know if that will be enough or if I need to transfer from Outlook to Gmail
    The ic902 has a Sim Card and don't know if the PrPrPr&#$275$; $will$ $have$ $one$, $if$ $it$ $did$ $that$ $would$ $be$ $much$ $simpler$ $for$ $us$
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Blackberry Bold (AT&T) > Google via Google Sync.

Install it from google.com and away you go!

No "gotchas" or problems. 5 minutes, 240 contacts transferred.

I only synced contacts, not calendar. I've had trouble in the past with Google Calendar becoming the default calendar on my BlackBerry so I generally don't mess with it at all on Google.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast