Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    So Apple has updated iTunes to 8.2. I'm hesitant to install it as it might just block Pre syncing. Thoughts? I guess we won't know until Saturday for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by iharley View Post
    So Apple has updated iTunes to 8.2. I'm hesitant to install it as it might just block Pre syncing. Thoughts? I guess we won't know until Saturday for sure.
    Ha! 1 day sooner than I figured an update would pop up. Anyone out there with access to a Pre care to test this???
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    yup... I'm not installing it! I actually downloaded itunes 8.1 on friday just in case.
    Nope, I'm happy with the one I have now. It's tempting though, I wonder if it's to actually make it easier to sync with the Pre. Palm had to of at least talk to Apple about this.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's going to be a real pain if there's going to be an update battle with Apple vs Pre. As someone who carries a dead iPhone just to use as an iPod then iTunes sync is a major feature for me.
    Oh no this better not mess things up
    iTunes 8.2 has already been available to iPhone developers for almost a month so I'm sure somebody would've noticed if that was the case by now, but we'll know for sure this weekend.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I have a Mac, but I'm not sure I'll be using iTunes for syncing. People have revealed many alternative media managers on these forums, ones that would work with the Pre as a USB drive. I also have an iPod Touch and will leave iTunes for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    iTunes 8.2 has already been available to iPhone developers for almost a month so I'm sure somebody would've noticed if that was the case by now, but we'll know for sure this weekend.
    But Pre iTunes compatibility has only been out for a few days, and I would be astonished if they had managed to build in a feature like this - blocking the Pre before they know for sure how it is syncing with iTunes AND before they can possibly have a Pre in their possession in order to test for bugs AND creating a release candidate AND seeding it to developers to make sure the new code doesn't screw something else up AND...

I'll eat my hat if iTunes 8.2 blocks the Pre. On the other hand, if a few days post-launch iTunes 8.2.1 comes out with the usual vague release notes...I'd hold off until someone else has tested it. But for now, I'd try and get hold of an 8.1 and 8.2 install file as insurance for the future.
    I don't do iTunes or, for that matter, anything Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    After using OS X as my main OS for over a year, and not finding it particularly to my liking, I'm with you. My MacBook Pro currently runs Windows 7, and I use it to sync my Zune. I have no desire to use any Apple products whatsoever.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Wow.....setting yourself apart willya?...I ordered an Apple ITouch...suppose to arrive tomorrow. I already had a nano. I just like the games that are on the Ap store.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    iTunes 8.2 is a requirement for iPhone 3.0 OS Was released to developers with iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 5. Doubt it has anything to do with the Pre.

"iTunes 8.2 now supports iPhone or iPod touch with the iPhone 3.0 Software Update. iTunes 8.2 also includes many accessibility improvements and bug fixes."
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 06/01/2009 at 05:55 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Hmm... It looks like iTunes syncing must need a new as-yet unreleased version of WebOS. So I would guess there's nothing in the 8.2 release that blocks the Pre (yet), but I wouldn't know.
    I'll be waiting for some reviews before I upgrade.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I kinda doubt iTunes 8.2 is in response to the Pre... I'm hoping that maybe they're going to release OS 3.0 during the WWDC next week, might take the sting out of missing out on a Pre this weekend for me. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    It's going to be a real pain if there's going to be an update battle with Apple vs Pre. As someone who carries a dead iPhone just to use as an iPod then iTunes sync is a major feature for me.
    Yet I wonder why Palm thinks they have the right to link into someone else's proprietary software just to provide a capability they were too cheap to make themselves. Would it be so wrong for Apple to cut them off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet I wonder why Palm thinks they have the right to link into someone else's proprietary software just to provide a capability they were too cheap to make themselves. Would it be so wrong for Apple to cut them off?
    It's not about making it themselves, it's about being able to say they use iTunes. People don't want new software. Should Apple be able to cut them off? I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post
    I kinda doubt iTunes 8.2 is in response to the Pre... I'm hoping that maybe they're going to release OS 3.0 during the WWDC next week, might take the sting out of missing out on a Pre this weekend for me. LOL
    Up to beta 5 of OS 3.0, it's close but there will probably be a few more builds. iPhone 2.0 went through about 9 betas. iTunes 8.2 is for iPhone 3.0 not Pre.
    Jimmie Geddes
    why should Apple cut off Pre users from their $$$$$$$$ ecosystem? it would make no sense.

personally, i've never bought an Apple product in my life. but i give them credit for innovation, taste, and marketing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast