Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why should Apple cut off Pre users from their $$$$$$$$ ecosystem? it would make no sense.

personally, i've never bought an Apple product in my life. but i give them credit for innovation, taste, and marketing.
    Because the iTunes Store (like the App Store) exists purely to drive hardware sales. Apple hardware sales, they don't make much money off of iTunes alone.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet I wonder why Palm thinks they have the right to link into someone else's proprietary software just to provide a capability they were too cheap to make themselves. Would it be so wrong for Apple to cut them off?
    Whether it's wrong or right for Apple to cut the Pre off is a moot point. It's Apple's software, they can allow or choose not to allow whatever hardware to work with it that they want, assuming they are able to do so. If they are able to disable Palm's Sync feature through the iTunes software, they're perfectly within their rights to do so. What they CAN'T do is force Palm to remove that feature from their own device. I'm fairly sure there is no law that says modifying hardware to work with an already existing piece of software, even if it's from a different company, is somehow against the law.

What about when Apple switched over to Intel processors and created drivers and instructions built into OS X that allowed people to dual-boot Windows on a Mac? Should Microsoft have the right to force Apple to disable that functionality? Of course not, that's ridiculous. But this is no different really, just substitute Apple with "Palm", Windows with "iTunes, and "Mac" with "Pre". So basically, they can't make Palm cut out this functionality, but they can disable that feature in iTunes if they can figure out how to do so.

Of course, the question is, should they? It certainly wouldn't seem to be in their best interest. Allowing that functionality only provides the service to a larger user base and helps to bring in new customers and keep existing ones who switch to the Pre. If they disable it though, they'll only push customers to another service (probably Amazon since that functionality is already built into the Pre as well), and they run the risk of appearing monopolistic. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but Apple doesn't always seem to operate on common sense. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    Below is the link and what is described in that link:

About the security content of iTunes 8.2

About the security content of iTunes 8.2
    Last Modified: June 01, 2009
    Article: HT3592
    Summary
    This document describes the security content of iTunes 8.2.

For the protection of our customers, Apple does not disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until a full investigation has occurred and any necessary patches or releases are available. To learn more about Apple Product Security, see the Apple Product Security website.

For information about the Apple Product Security PGP Key, see "How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key."

Where possible, CVE IDs are used to reference the vulnerabilities for further information.

To learn about other Security Updates, see "Apple Security Updates."

Products Affected
    Product Security, iTunes 8 for Mac, iTunes 8 for Windows
    iTunes 8.2
    iTunes

CVE-ID: CVE-2009-0950

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later, Mac OS X Server v10.4.10 or later, Windows Vista, XP SP2 or later

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A stack buffer overflow exists in iTunes when parsing "itms:" URLs. Accessing a maliciously crafted "itms:" URL may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved bounds checking. Credit to Will Drewry for reporting this issue.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Of course, the question is, should they? It certainly wouldn't seem to be in their best interest. Allowing that functionality only provides the service to a larger user base and helps to bring in new customers and keep existing ones who switch to the Pre. If they disable it though, they'll only push customers to another service (probably Amazon since that functionality is already built into the Pre as well), and they run the risk of appearing monopolistic. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but Apple doesn't always seem to operate on common sense. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    I agree, the question is whether it's in their best interest to cut off the Pre. I seriously doubt that whatever sales volume Palm generates, it's a tiny fraction of the total iPod/iPhone market. There's no way the Pre is seriously threatening Apple's hardware profits. And, the ease of switching from an iPhone to the Pre goes both ways: it will also be easier to switch from the Pre to an iPhone later on since all the music was in iTunes the whole time. It has to be in Apple's best interest for as many people to use iTunes as possible under whatever circumstances.

I don't think iTunes was ever about driving hardware sales so much as it was about complementing hardware sales. You know that with an iPod and iTunes, you have a complete, simple, solid solution for managing all of your music. And that's why it's dominant--no one else has the whole package. I don't think the Pre is a serious threat to that, and one could make the argument that it enhances the usability of iTunes, which enhances the usability of future iPods. I think Apple should not disable it (though no one knows for sure exactly what Palm is doing or with what permissions from Apple Palm is doing it, so Apple may not be able to disable it).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I agree, the question is whether it's in their best interest to cut off the Pre. I seriously doubt that whatever sales volume Palm generates, it's a tiny fraction of the total iPod/iPhone market. There's no way the Pre is seriously threatening Apple's hardware profits. And, the ease of switching from an iPhone to the Pre goes both ways: it will also be easier to switch from the Pre to an iPhone later on since all the music was in iTunes the whole time. It has to be in Apple's best interest for as many people to use iTunes as possible under whatever circumstances.

I don't think iTunes was ever about driving hardware sales so much as it was about complementing hardware sales. You know that with an iPod and iTunes, you have a complete, simple, solid solution for managing all of your music. And that's why it's dominant--no one else has the whole package. I don't think the Pre is a serious threat to that, and one could make the argument that it enhances the usability of iTunes, which enhances the usability of future iPods. I think Apple should not disable it (though no one knows for sure exactly what Palm is doing or with what permissions from Apple Palm is doing it, so Apple may not be able to disable it).
    The Pre's ability to synch (without those 3rd party programs that are also available) with iTunes is highly publicized. If Apple disables it, it's a "nasty reaction" and might not go over well with people.

Apple might be smug and arrogant, however, even on their high and mighty power trip with the iPhone, I doubt they've forgotten there are a LOT of Palm users (including the "legacy" users who aren't getting the Pre) that also happen to be Mac users
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    After using OS X as my main OS for over a year, and not finding it particularly to my liking, I'm with you. My MacBook Pro currently runs Windows 7, and I use it to sync my Zune. I have no desire to use any Apple products whatsoever.
    What are you running windows 7 on?? You !
    It would make sense for Apple to go along with allowing it and possibly gain more customers. It would seem that if iTunes worked people would be inclined to purchase music and videos through iTunes for their Pre. This way Apple is getting a peice of the Pre pie revenue.
    You do know if the try to block the Pre, there are other plugins that will allow the Pre to work with iTunes. It would make no sense for Apple to stop this. It will cost them money for no reason. The Pre would always work with iTunes. There are also many other plugins out there that are free. Here is a site for a free plugin that would make the Pre work with iTunes if they did patch.

iTunes Sync: Free iTunes MP3 Player Integration*|*Binary Fortress Software

Stop worrying. There are always alternatives to make things work.
    Just read an article on the iPhone Blog apparently in iTunes 8.2 a "low level USB protocol" has been modified - could this low level USB protocol by any chance be the one that controls 3rd party USB syncing?

I might have to eat my hat after all...
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    Just read an article on the iPhone Blog apparently in iTunes 8.2 a "low level USB protocol" has been modified - could this low level USB protocol by any chance be the one that controls 3rd party USB syncing?

I might have to eat my hat after all...
    From the information I've read it actually makes it more difficult for jailbreakers of iPhones because it addresses the vulnerability of SSH over USB. So it seems it is actually targeting iPhone users that choose to Jailbreak. I really don't see this having anything to do with the Pre.
    I don't use itunes with my pre but I tested 8.2.0 and it recognized my pre no problem. As people will know by time they read this 8.2.1 is a direct attempt by apple to halt "non apple" device support ,ie the pre.
    It's possible that Apple did this out of spite, but it also makes some technical sense. If they allow non-Apple devices to "fool" iTunes, they basically give up the option of making non-compatible changes to their protocols in the future (i.e. they'll have to support these devices for the long-term, or risk having ever larger groups of people pissed off at them).

Marc
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Don't download the new iTunes update if you use iTunes with your Pre! Apple blocked it...

Apple Bans Palm Pre from iTunes: Get the Work-Around - PC World
    Yes of course apple creates a block. It's just another dirty play by apple. They make such great products by spend too much time creating blocks for users and competitors instead of becoming more dominating. How can everyone deal with all there crap.

Pre - copy to usb drive? simple isn't it?
    Larry
    Eh, they give away iTunes mostly to sell iPods and iPhones. I expected them to do this, and think it was presumptuous of Pre to pretend to be an iPod in the first place.

(although I have synced my Pre with iTunes, and plan to refrain from downloading iTunes 8.2.1 for as long as reasonable.)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12