1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any experience with "activesynch" on other phones? I have seen mention of it in connection with OS 2 for the Iphone. Using it to connect with my corporate email, contacts and calendar are my biggest concerns about the Pre. Does activesynch require anything special to be done by the corporate IT guys for Exchange Server 2003 and above?

I am so enamored of the push email I have been getting with Chatteremail and the calendar synchs with Outlook that I get whenever in my charging cradle that I am reluctant to move to the Pre from my Treo 700p unless it is pretty seemless.
    your corporate IT guys have to enable it. then they have to give you the mail server settings for your account. talk to them first.

Overview of Exchange ActiveSync

http://gizmodo.com/5271328/rumor-pal...ort-push-gmail
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Not sure if this is of much help, but I've been using ActiveSync on my Motorola Q9c for the better part of year to sync my corporate e-mail, calender & notes. I have been very happy with it's performance.

I don't know how this will translate to the Pre, but I hope ActiveSync's performance will be the same on the pre.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    your corporate IT guys have to enable it. then they have to give you the mail server settings for your account. talk to them first.

Overview of Exchange ActiveSync

Gizmodo - Rumor: Palm Pre Will Support Push Gmail - Palm pre push gmail
    Gekko,

Do you know if ActiveSync is basically the same on all phones? In other words, given that I've been using ActiveSync on my Q (on Sprint) and have been very happy with it, should I expect the same performance on the Pre?
    I have been using EAS on my 755p for about a year. It's great! We have Exchange 2007 and the default configuration is to allow EAS syncing. If you can use OWA, there's a good chance that you can use EAS. On the 755p, EAS syncs email, calendar, and contacts--not tasks or memos. The Pre will sync email, calendar, contacts, and tasks. Looks like no memo sync. You should definitely talk to your IT staff about it.
    By the way, there's a difference between Exchange ActiveSync (phone to Exchange server OTA) and ActiveSync (WinMo phone to PC). The Pre will do EAS, not ActiveSync.
    Quote Originally Posted by domer View Post
    Gekko,

Do you know if ActiveSync is basically the same on all phones? In other words, given that I've been using ActiveSync on my Q (on Sprint) and have been very happy with it, should I expect the same performance on the Pre?
    i'm using EAS on my Centro and i expect the protocol implementation to be very similiar - and probably better - especially for me coming from a PalmOS Centro. since you're coming from a MSFT client product, you probably won't see that much of an improvement since you're MSFT<-->MSFT which is probably a perfect connection.

the beautiful thing for me and you is that since our PIM data is already on the Exchange Server, we should be up and running with our data on our new Pre's in a matter of minutes. and i read that the Pre has a "smart setup" for EAS - meaning just give it your email address and password and it sets up all of the server settings for you. does your Q do that now? also, rumor has it that Pre can do multiple EAS accounts and maybe servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I have been using EAS on my 755p for about a year. It's great! We have Exchange 2007 and the default configuration is to allow EAS syncing. If you can use OWA, there's a good chance that you can use EAS. On the 755p, EAS syncs email, calendar, and contacts--not tasks or memos. The Pre will sync email, calendar, contacts, and tasks. Looks like no memo sync. You should definitely talk to your IT staff about it.
    yeah i just noticed that yesterday - i never used Tasks - ive always just put tasks in the Calendar so it forces me to do it by a specific date. BUT i tested it by putting a dummy task in which didnt sync. i deleted most of my memos and put the rest into MS Word docs. (see my other posts on Pre prep and clouds etc.)
    Gekko,

you are talking about EAS - Exchange ActiveSync over the air (OTA) as opposed to USB ActiveSync correct?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you are talking about EAS - Exchange ActiveSync over the air (OTA) as opposed to USB ActiveSync correct?
    You are correct, I was talking about OTA (now I know what that means, lol!).

I was not aware (or didn't pay attention to previous posts) regarding the memos not syncing. In my work it's important that I document actions/conversations with my clients, and I've been using the "Notes" section in each respective contact (in MS Outlook) for this. Is this the same thing as "memos"? This would really be a downer for me

Now realistically, I've only inputted notes directly into the "notes" section of a contact on my Q a handful of times (the bulk of it I do from my PC), but I have referred to the notes several times.

BTW, the data automatically syncing like you mentioned is VERY sweet! I replaced my Q once, and was up and running with the new one in no time
    I was not aware (or didn't pay attention to previous posts) regarding the memos not syncing. In my work it's important that I document actions/conversations with my clients, and I've been using the "Notes" section in each respective contact (in MS Outlook) for this. Is this the same thing as "memos"? This would really be a downer for me
    memos attached to contacts are a part of the contact database, so you should be good to go. I was talking about the standalone notes/memos--they sync to memos in Outlook over Hotsync, but not via EAS. I do use my memos, so I'll have to convert them to word or txt documents and handle them separately as Gekko suggests.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Oh wow, that's a relief, thanks