Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    There are many people I talk to on facebook chat that I don't have their AIM/ICQ/ECT screen names. I also like that it lists people by their actual names, not a screen name.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    I also like that it lists people by their actual names, not a screen name.
    Hear hear!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I just hope palm and facebook get it
    There are many people I talk to on facebook chat that I don't have their AIM/ICQ/ECT screen names. I also like that it lists people by their actual names, not a screen name.
    But with Synergy people's screennames are attached to contacts anyway.

So with Facebook chat, do you just leave yourself logged into the browser when you want to talk to people or something? I don't know, it just still doesn't really make sense to me other than not wanting to add people's AIM or whatever screennames, but I sort of feel that anyone I'd want to talk to in a chat is someone who I already have the screenname for anyway. I personally just preferred Facebook back at the beginning when I was in college before they added all of the applications and stuff that to me just gets in the way anyway.

But, anyway, to stop hijacking the thread, I do hope that for the people who use it that Synergy incorporates Facebook chat soon.... and also for the slightly selfish reason that that'd probably mean it's easy to incorporate other protocols (Yahoo ASAP, Palm ) as well.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    As of right now I am really not impressed with this partnership. Especially since they are launch partners.... The App is essentially the same as going to the iPhone facebook page from the browser. It is little more then a bookmark to the page with a full screen browser...

Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    I just hope palm and facebook get it
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    That is true that peoples aim contacts will be associated with their actual names, but even so I feel people are on facebook chat more often then AIM/MSN/Gmail.

You can access facebook chat through a browser, but I use palringo on my touch pro, windows desktop and mac laptop.

Edit: I am logged in 24/7 to facebook chat, aim and google chat through my phone, PC or Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But with Synergy people's screennames are attached to contacts anyway.

So with Facebook chat, do you just leave yourself logged into the browser when you want to talk to people or something? I don't know, it just still doesn't really make sense to me other than not wanting to add people's AIM or whatever screennames, but I sort of feel that anyone I'd want to talk to in a chat is someone who I already have the screenname for anyway. I personally just preferred Facebook back at the beginning when I was in college before they added all of the applications and stuff that to me just gets in the way anyway.

But, anyway, to stop hijacking the thread, I do hope that for the people who use it that Synergy incorporates Facebook chat soon.... and also for the slightly selfish reason that that'd probably mean it's easy to incorporate other protocols (Yahoo ASAP, Palm ) as well.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    well if you can't use facebook chat, would it be possible to have an open card and stay logged in to meebo? Meebo - Connecting AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace messengers
    Looks almost identical to Welcome to Facebook | Facebook I think it is kinda lame that it wont have the option to upload pictures and do advanced stuff like tagging photos the way an actual app is able to do.
    The Pre userguide says you can upload pics to facebook.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Must have missed that.. maybe from within the album app, but it doesnt look like you can from within the facebook app.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    The Pre userguide says you can upload pics to facebook.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Never tried meebo, but the downside I see is no notifications of new messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    well if you can't use facebook chat, would it be possible to have an open card and stay logged in to meebo? Meebo - Connecting AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace messengers
    Looks almost identical to Welcome to Facebook | Facebook I think it is kinda lame that it wont have the option to upload pictures and do advanced stuff like tagging photos the way an actual app is able to do.
    No need for the app to have an upload option cause you'll be able to upload straight to Facebook with the Photos app. It's mentioned on Page 111 in the User Guide. It does suck you can't tag though.

EDIT:
    9 Inch Pre Niss beat me to the reply.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    I was hoping it would be integrated into the OS like the AIM chat, not a separate app.
    I too am hoping for more OS integration of other IM services, mainly MSN and Yahoo as well along with facebook chat.
    As of right now I am really not impressed with this partnership. Especially since they are launch partners.... The App is essentially the same as going to the iPhone facebook page from the browser. It is little more then a bookmark to the page with a full screen browser...
    With that link I posted I could be wrong, maybe thats what shows up at Welcome to Facebook | Facebook if u dont click regular site.

maybe no one has really seen the app yet?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Yea thats what I figured that it was part of the photo app, not facebook. I was also kind of hoping the facebook app would have notifications integrated into the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    No need for the app to have an upload option cause you'll be able to upload straight to Facebook with the Photos app. It's mentioned on Page 111 in the User Guide. It does suck you can't tag though.

EDIT:
    9 Inch Pre Niss beat me to the reply.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    That is what I am hoping. That the picture that has been floating around is actually a screen shot from the browser.

With that link I posted I could be wrong, maybe thats what shows up at Welcome to Facebook | Facebook if u dont click regular site.

maybe no one has really seen the app yet?
    Yea thats what I figured that it was part of the photo app, not facebook. I was also kind of hoping the facebook app would have notifications integrated into the OS.
    Yeah that would be great. At least for now if you have an email account that supports IMAP Idle then you can receive Facebook emails immediately.

That is what I am hoping. That the picture that has been floating around is actually a screen shot from the browser.
    Nope the picture is from the app. It says "Facebook" on the top left corner. If it was the browser it would say "Web".

Skip to around 0:25 to see the Facebook app in action:
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, since people are on the subject.... why does Facebook chat even have a reason for existing anyway? Wasn't it enough to have AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk, Jabber, Skype, and so on and so forth? I mean, seriously what's the point of another proprietary chat protocol? (I almost called it an application, but since other than the iPhone Facebook application, you're required to run it on a website anyway, that word doesn't really apply.) As far as I'm concerned there's absolutely no valid reason for its existence.

Don't get me wrong, if people want it included in Synergy, then I hope for their sake that it is, but I still have to just ask why people use it instead of some other, more widespread chat application. I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that it and BBM are the two things that I have absolutely no idea why they've actually caught on in large populations.
    I'm in several organizations and when that happens, you expect to have a lot of "friends" that aren't on your aim/gchat buddy list. That doesn't mean I never need to contact them however, and facebook chat gives a nice direct chat option without having to add to the lists that are dedicated to my closer friends.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Yeah that would be great. At least for now if you have an email account that supports IMAP Idle then you can receive Facebook emails immediately.

Nope the picture is from the app. It says "Facebook" on the top left corner. If it was the browser it would say "Web".

Skip to around 0:25 to see the Facebook app in action:

that guy below said its the app, but this photo and video is from JANUARY... A LOT has prob changed
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Hope so.

but this photo and video is from JANUARY... A LOT has prob changed
    I use facebook chat in Pidgin on Windows and Linux and Adium on Mac. I think it's great because everyone I know is on facebook, with only a couple of exceptions--it's one stop shopping.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast