Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    So I have read that Gmail made "my contacts" so that you could sync with gmail and not have ALL you contacts (anyone you have ever emailed) in you contacts.

Well I decided to clean up some of my facebook friends...and have notices a list features in facebook now. Does anyone know how long that has been there...and possibly you can only sync with your Pre with certain friend lists?
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Where'd you see the list feature?
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Go to your profile and then click your "xyz friends"...very top, create list, and then dropdown boxes next to all your friends.

Reminds me of the AIM days where my categories were Friends I talk with and Friends I don't talk to.
    That would be cool if you could make a facebook list of specific friends in your profile and the pre would only sync with that specific list. I just don't need every one of my old classmates and previous coworkers all populated in my contacts.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I believe list came with the new friends options in the popup chat recently added like 2 weeks ago, maybe its always been there and Ive just never noticed. Everything Ive read and seen in video suggest adding Facebook contacts is an all or nothing affair. Thankfully my contacts are limited to people who will be in my address book anyway.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    That would be cool if you could make a facebook list of specific friends in your profile and the pre would only sync with that specific list. I just don't need every one of my old classmates and previous coworkers all populated in my contacts.
    I dont know. It might be nice to ring up the prom queen on June 6th and brag about your new Pre.
    if you go into your facebook and look in friends. then on the left side it should say phone book click that and i think thats how many friends you will get from facebook cause everyone else is just gonna not have numbers or anything so i would think it would only poll from there. But i could easly be wrong. we will know come saturday
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiespeck View Post
    if you go into your facebook and look in friends. then on the left side it should say phone book click that and i think thats how many friends you will get from facebook cause everyone else is just gonna not have numbers or anything so i would think it would only poll from there. But i could easly be wrong. we will know come saturday
    Not true, it'll pull people even if they don't have a number, because it can still pull an email address.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I wonder how the pre will merge Facebook contacts with google contacts? By name? By email address? I am worried if it does it by name than i will end up with duplicate accounts on my pre because some people don't put their full name on facebook or may be named slightly different in google (i.e. w/ middle initial). I just don't to import contacts from google and facebook then have to go through and figure out all the duplicates.
    Quote Originally Posted by goas123 View Post
    I wonder how the pre will merge Facebook contacts with google contacts? By name? By email address? I am worried if it does it by name than i will end up with duplicate accounts on my pre because some people don't put their full name on facebook or may be named slightly different in google (i.e. w/ middle initial). I just don't to import contacts from google and facebook then have to go through and figure out all the duplicates.
    Yeah I was wondering about that too. Maybe it looks at multiple fields (name, address, phone number, email, etc.) and if there's any match at all it'll combine entries. Even if you do have duplicates I believe you can manually match entries together too.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    do you guys currently have people that you actually want to regularly contact that are in your FB account but NOT in your Google Contacts/Palm Desktop/Outlook/Currently Synced Account?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    The cool thing about the potential of Facebook sync is that if your contacts update their phone number or email address, you will be updated as well. Also, it updates their pictures dynamically. As soon as they enable only syncing certain lists of friends then I will be syncing, until then...not so much...but I still think they're on the right track! I think this will be fixed shortly.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    do you guys currently have people that you actually want to regularly contact that are in your FB account but NOT in your Google Contacts/Palm Desktop/Outlook/Currently Synced Account?
    yes. But that could easily be changed if I just manually entered the information from their facebook account to my gmail contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    The cool thing about the potential of Facebook sync is that if your contacts update their phone number or email address, you will be updated as well. Also, it updates their pictures dynamically. As soon as they enable only syncing certain lists of friends then I will be syncing, until then...not so much...but I still think they're on the right track! I think this will be fixed shortly.
    @Gekko. Probably not but as Jayzun mentioned, the updated profile pictures for contacts would be nice.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Heck yes I have a ton of people on FB that I talk to but I don't have in my gmail. I am 20...so email is not really important to me when talking to my friends. I have used the facebook "phone book" on my treo's web browser more than once because there was a changed cell phone number or i just met them and needed to get a hold of them.
    It should be an easy fix, hopefully Palm gets off their duff's and does it. Right now even though Google supports using "my contacts" for syncing Palm still syncs to "All contacts". Same with Facebook, everyone gets imported.

No reason for it, i can only assume that Palm will fix it but you never know. Personally I won't bother with facebook syncing until they flesh out the mechanics better its not worth the headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    The Facebook API restricts access to email addresses and phone #'s. Take a look at Outsync (syncs FB users with Outlook contacts). In the video on the website for this app, the author states that FB doesn't allow access to those fields from outside Facebook, so he can only sync photos.

OutSync - Home

Sync your Facebook contacts with Outlook (and Windows Mobile) | Laura Foy | Channel 10
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    I want to create a list of friends in FB call Palm Pre , select the FB friends that I want to be part of that list and have the Pre only synch those people.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I want to create a list of friends in FB call Palm Pre , select the FB friends that I want to be part of that list and have the Pre only synch those people.
    That's what we're all hoping for. I don't see why it can't be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    That's what we're all hoping for. I don't see why it can't be like that.
    Apparently it's from Facebook's end.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast