Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Here's the thing I'm most anxious about. I would like to take full advantage of the Synergy thing, but at the same time I feel like my contact information on google, facebook, etc. is a complete mess. So far, whenever I let one site import personal information from another, I end up regretting it. Not all contacts are equal. (My last disconcerting experience was with goodreads.com.)

What should I do to prepare for Palm Profile and Synergy? What else do I need to worry about besides contact information?

And what should I be organizing on my home computer?

Maybe the idea is that with Synergy, there's nothing to worry about, the way there's no reason to worry about organizing or deleting emails on Gmail.
    i'll tell you what i did coming from Palm Desktop -

1. deleted all unnecessary Memos and moved the rest to MS Word Docs. i now have zero Memos. already had zero Tasks (never used it).
    2. "purged" my Calendar of anything older than 1 week.
    3. ran DBfixit to make sure i had no corrupt PIM records.
    4. synced Centro via EAS to MS Exchange Server.
    5. already had a Gmail account that i rarely used but will probably use that as my personal email account if IMAP is TRUE PUSH on the Pre. i will have lots of work there to move all my personal online bill pays - banks and vendors to my new Gmail address (from ISP comcast.net email). i'll wait until after i get Pre to do that - want to test IMAP PUSH first.
    6. Google Contacts and Facebook Contacts - i never use them and don't plan to use FB. i MIGHT do a sync to Google Contacts at some point as a backup IF i can easily SYNERGIZE EAS Exchange PIM and Google PIM. but im worried about duplication and integrity of data. and not sure how Palm Profile falls into the mix. a few unknowns here.
    7. Excel/Word Docs/PDFs etc (as i've repeatedly posted about) are on ISP online storage accessed via FTP - Wifile - and will be accessed on PRE via Browser FTP.
    8. i did do a "Frozen in Time" backup on 5-2X-09 of all of my PRCs and PDBs onto a USB flash drive just in case.
    9. Deleted Palm Desktop and DTG from Laptop.
    10. Still do BBVFS Backups nightly of Centro PIM data to two MicroSDs rotated - just in case - until i get PRE of course.
    11. when i get PRE it should be easy EAS PIM data/Email sync to server and set up GMAIL and i'll be good to go.
    12. Giving my sister my Centro with all accessories for free.

did this help you conceptualize or did i just waste my time?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    First thing AFTER setting up your Palm profile should be running Update.

There is a ROM update that should be applied first before anything else.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    First thing AFTER setting up your Palm profile should be running Update.

There is a ROM update that should be applied first before anything else.
    good point. we should get an immediate prompt I HOPE. it is smart to download and run immediately.

i hope we can change our Palm Profile email address at a later date. i magine we can - it'd be so stupid if not. and i think i saw that option on an Invisible Man video.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    This is perfect! Thanks! I'm also coming from a Centro (and a Mac).
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    5. already had a Gmail account that i rarely used but will probably use that as my personal email account if IMAP is TRUE PUSH on the Pre. i will have lots of work there to move all my personal online bill pays - banks and vendors to my new Gmail address (from ISP comcast.net email). i'll wait until after i get Pre to do that - want to test IMAP PUSH first.
    I solved this problem long ago by getting a pobox.com forwarding email address and only ever giving out that address. I change my email account as I please, and people usually don't realize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    I solved this problem long ago by getting a pobox.com forwarding email address and only ever giving out that address. I change my email account as I please, and people usually don't realize it.
    When you reply to an email, do people see the pobox.com address? Does your real address show up anywhere in the headers?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    When you reply to an email, do people see the pobox.com address? Does your real address show up anywhere in the headers?
    Yes, it appears in the Sender header. Most email clients report the From or Reply-To headers, though, so most people never see the originating account.

However, I think it's Hotmail that's using the Sender header when inserting the "xyz@pdq.com wrote:" line to quote an email in a reply.

(You do have to configure your email client -- gmail in my case -- to use your forwarding address in the From header, though.)
    I need to find a low/no-cost way to sync outlook contacts with Google; there's a great free calendar sync, but no luck finding same for contacts.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    However, I think it's Hotmail that's using the Sender header when inserting the "xyz@pdq.com wrote:" line to quote an email in a reply.
    Looking into it just now, it's worse. Hotmail is reporting the Sender instead of the From header when indicating who sent the email. Hotmail always unmasks mail forwarding. No one else should know the difference, though.
    nah i refuse to do this. that's one extra link in the chain to break and one extra entity to "see" my data. i don't change my personal primary email address often - in fact - it's always been @comcast.net hence, i don't mind changing it again after X years. in fact, it might be a good check to make sure the correct one is everywhere. also, comcast (and most email providers) offers a forward feature - so i will do that as a double check with Gmail.
    I was hoping I could set up my Palm Profile in advance, on my computer. Looks like this is a Pre-only thing. I'm just desperate to get the ball rolling!
    i'll tell you what i did coming from Palm Desktop -

1. deleted all unnecessary Memos and moved the rest to MS Word Docs. i now have zero Memos. already had zero Tasks (never used it).
    2. "purged" my Calendar of anything older than 1 week.
    3. ran DBfixit to make sure i had no corrupt PIM records.
    4. synced Centro via EAS to MS Exchange Server.
    6. Google Contacts and Facebook Contacts - i never use them and don't plan to use FB. i MIGHT do a sync to Google Contacts at some point as a backup IF i can easily SYNERGIZE EAS Exchange PIM and Google PIM. but im worried about duplication and integrity of data. and not sure how Palm Profile falls into the mix. a few unknowns here.
    7. Excel/Word Docs/PDFs etc (as i've repeatedly posted about) are on ISP online storage accessed via FTP - Wifile - and will be accessed on PRE via Browser FTP.
    8. i did do a "Frozen in Time" backup on 5-2X-09 of all of my PRCs and PDBs onto a USB flash drive just in case.
    9. Deleted Palm Desktop and DTG from Laptop.
    10. Still do BBVFS Backups nightly of Centro PIM data to two MicroSDs rotated - just in case - until i get PRE of course.
    11. when i get PRE it should be easy EAS PIM data/Email sync to server and set up GMAIL and i'll be good to go.
    12. Giving my sister my Centro with all accessories for free.

Holy hell gekko you are defintely who I will be asking for help after all i am new to palm lol
    addendum -

1. Contacts - i also went through and deleted restaurants and other retailers from my Contacts list. this was legacy from the days of the old UNCONNECTED Palms. now with smartphones, you can just Google the name of XYZ and it will give you contact info - no need to store it in Contacts anymore. i did keep a few retailers with specific repeat purchase data.
    2. Memos - see above post. lots of Memos could be deleted because again, they were legacy Palm Memos from the days of the unconnected organizer. now no need to store ABC Memo on the device if you can easily Google that info.
    3. PalmOS Apps - i have no critical PalmOS Apps that i need to keep and bring over the Pre via Classic or otherwise. the included PRE Apps, Google.com, and Docs To Go will accomplish basically anything any PalmOS App can do for me. i created custom MS Word/Excel Docs in place of PalmOS Apps. i use MS Word with password protection for Wallet info, etc. i use Excel for financial records/calculations. you can build your own DBs with Word/Excel for free AND you're not at the mercy of having your data trapped in some Developer's black box proprietary PalmOS DB. Word/Excel is an OPEN, FREE, and PORTABLE standard that can be used ANYWHERE ON ANY DEVICE - ie CLOUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    I need to find a low/no-cost way to sync outlook contacts with Google; there's a great free calendar sync, but no luck finding same for contacts.
    You're on WinMo?

Google Mobile | Sync for your Windows Mobile phone

Features
    Synchronize your contacts. Get your Google contacts quickly and easily to your Windows Mobile phone. With Sync, you can have access to your address book at anytime and place that you need it.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your question, but I believe Palm is providing an app from Outlook, and you can already do it from WinMo.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    nah i refuse to do this. that's one extra link in the chain to break and one extra entity to "see" my data. i don't change my personal primary email address often - in fact - it's always been @comcast.net hence, i don't mind changing it again after X years. in fact, it might be a good check to make sure the correct one is everywhere. also, comcast (and most email providers) offers a forward feature - so i will do that as a double check with Gmail.
    Gmail also has the ability to run as a pop3 client so you can set it up to autocheck your comcast or any other pop compliant email service. My main Gmail checks 3 different ancillary accounts, collecting everything into my main inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    Gmail also has the ability to run as a pop3 client so you can set it up to autocheck your comcast or any other pop compliant email service. My main Gmail checks 3 different ancillary accounts, collecting everything into my main inbox.
    that's assuming i want Google to know my passwords! which i don't! especially since my primary comcast email account/username/password controls my ISP settings. hence, i prefer the comcast forward to Google. i like to minimize the links in the chain and who's in the know for security as well as failure probabilities.
    Don't laugh, but my job still uses Domino 6.5 (w/ Notes 8 client). What the heck can I do to synch up? The original Sprint Business Connect app used to work great! Ever since they stopped supporting Lotus Notes (and I don't blame them) I've been stuck with two devices

WorkPad --> ??? --> Visor Deluxe--> Prism -->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintonGJohnson View Post
    Don't laugh, but my job still uses Domino 6.5 (w/ Notes 8 client). What the heck can I do to synch up? The original Sprint Business Connect app used to work great! Ever since they stopped supporting Lotus Notes (and I don't blame them) I've been stuck with two devices

WorkPad --> ??? --> Visor Deluxe--> Prism -->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P
    Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    So did the reviews tell us anything else about how we might want to prepare for Synergy?