1.    #1  
    Anyone remember how the AT&T and Apple activation servers crumbled and died during launch of the iPhone 3G? I'm really hoping Palm has put some redundancy in this Palm Profile system so that the same thing doesn't happen this time for Sprint and Palm, because the media is going to be savage instead of dismissive this time around. Not to mention, with WWDC the day after, they're going to jump all over that and throw as many jabs as they can if something happens.

Another thing that's been bugging me... The backup functionality at night must use a random time to do backups, or else the entire Sprint network and Palm's servers are probably going to be overloaded each day.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    You'll be fine, the Pre's launch won't be as crazy as the iPhone's
    Plus Sprints network is wayyyy better then AT&T and will be able to handle anything IF it gets bad.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Another thing that's been bugging me... The backup functionality at night must use a random time to do backups, or else the entire Sprint network and Palm's servers are probably going to be overloaded each day.
    I'd imagine it's similar to how Microsoft handles its Media Center guide updates. It probably has a window of 6 hours or so, and it picks a random time within those 6 hours to update to balance the load out. I can't imagine Palm would have it update during the day when most people would be using it.
    Should not be too bad.....a lack of available PREs means no stress of the launch.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    Should not be too bad.....a lack of available PREs means no stress of the launch.

IGO
    I don't know, shortage is definitely a subjective term. If they sell 150,000, that's one thing. If they sell 200,000, they're nearing the 270,000 that successfully crippled AT&T and Apple's servers for a few days.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    I don't know, shortage is definitely a subjective term. If they sell 150,000, that's one thing. If they sell 200,000, they're nearing the 270,000 that successfully crippled AT&T and Apple's servers for a few days.
    Still, AT&T was NOT ready for the iPhone on launch day. Sprint knows how much they have and will prepare accordingly.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Plus Sprints network is wayyyy better then AT&T and will be able to handle anything IF it gets bad.
    100% Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Still, AT&T was NOT ready for the iPhone on launch day. Sprint knows how much they have and will prepare accordingly.
    To be fair, I think no one could've been ready for that bombshell, but now, Sprint and Palm will have to be.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Sprint isn't the one to be concerned about. It's Palm I'm worried about. Think about it. When has Palm ever needed to have activation servers online for more than (possibly) 100,000 people in one day? Sprint will do fine with relaying the data to Palm, but what happens from there worries me. I sure hope they planned accordingly.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    There's also a rumor that the phone will be downloading an OS update on launch day. That could clog the pipes. It might even stop up the phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    There's also a rumor that the phone will be downloading an OS update on launch day. That could clog the pipes. It might even stop up the phones.

Akamai: The Leader in Web Application Acceleration and Performance Management, Streaming Media Services and Content Delivery :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Sidekicks have been doing this for years. It shouldn't be a problem at all.