Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like many of you, I'm trying to figure out how to get ready for the Pre and start to move toward cloud computing. I've been moving contacts to gmail, ordered a pogoplug, and stuff like that. I've been looking for a good solution to online cloud storage for documents and after doing a bit of research have decided that Dropbox (getdropbox.com) is one of the best bets right now.

Here's a link to a review: Sugarsync vs Dropbox: The Battle Of The Cloud Storage Titans

One of the great things about dropbox is that they give you 2GB for free and then an additional 250MB for every referral person that signs up. And you get 250MB extra to begin with if you sign up using a referral link instead of just normally through the website.

So I thought this forum would be a good place to share referrals so that we can all earn more storage space. I think you can earn up to 3GB extra in referrals.

So here's my referral link: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzc3MTg5.

You can use it to earn 2.25 GB instead of just 2. Then once you sign up, you can post your referral link here and others can use it too.
    Last edited by chiefplt; 05/30/2009 at 12:49 PM.
    i don't trust them to not go belly up and take all of my data down with them or sell it to the highest bidder. no thanks.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i don't trust them to not go belly up and take all of my data down with them or sell it to the highest bidder. no thanks.
    The benefit is that all your data is also on your local storage. Your date won't go "down with them". As to whether they sell your date to the highest bidder, that's a different matter. But most of my data wouldn't fetch much anyway...
    who's your ISP? check out my "live on the cloud" thread and see what i'm doing and comment there. my ISP isn't bulletproof but they're large enough where i think they have a better chance to endure than a startup.com run out of some small rented space in SF.
    Off topic from that link: I'm liking the Windows 7 usage already in many places...
  6.    #6  
    who's your ISP? check out my "live on the cloud" thread and see what i'm doing and comment there. my ISP isn't bulletproof but they're large enough where i think they have a better chance to endure than a startup.com run out of some small rented space in SF.
    Yeah, I saw your thread - that's one of the things that got me thinking. I use Comcast too, but I just don't trust that relationship. I'd love something that endures even if I change ISP providers. Plus, I get more storage with dropbox than comcast. And I can mount drives, sync across multiple computers, etc.
    Okay dumb question. This cloud stuff in still new to me. If you sign up for this "cloud storage", does this mean you can put all your music in this storage and them stream it to your pre?
    As mentioned Dropbox is a syncing service. It takes any selected Linux/Windows/OS X file/folder and keeps it in sync across multiple computers through the cloud. You could have half a dozen local copies plus the cloud sync/back-up copy.

If you're worried about their ethics, familarize yourself with their Terms of Service. For any site like Dropbox they almost certainly have a clause stating they won't look at your data and/or sell it, profit from it, etc…. If they break it you can sue them like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    Okay dumb question. This cloud stuff in still new to me. If you sign up for this "cloud storage", does this mean you can put all your music in this storage and them stream it to your pre?
    Sure. From what has been talked about the Palm Pre does not let you download files (the saving images like the iPhone is up in the air I think, but mp3s won't download) but will let you stream audio and some video—not flash, but probably the same selection as the iPhone.

So if you had Dropbox you could put 2GB of music in there (for free, 50 or 100 GB if you paid) and stream it your Pre whenever you want. However battery would drain like crazy since the 3G or WiFi radio would be on constantly.
    "terms and service" and lawsuits ain't gonna help me if they go belly up.
    Ok, Cheif...I signed up using your referral link.
    I will give it a shot.

My referral link: https://www.getdropbox.com/link/21.x_vshA6UHb
    Last edited by Syphon; 05/30/2009 at 05:40 PM.
    Follow Me On

I recently signed up and like it (was using gmail drive). Hope they will put out a WebOS client but in the meantime, they need to have a WAP based web browser version that would work with most any phone. The cross-platform sharing works well.

If you want to setup your own fileserver, ORB can do the same thing with no addition disk space charges.

Download here...
    https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg1MTQ5
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Lol, here is my referal code. Give me some extra storage too: getdropbox.com/link/21.Mc50u5YTnL

For the technically minded people among you: This is essentially a dumbed down version of SVN. Since they do keep all deleted files and also all changes in memory (you can roll back) this is very useful for documents but 2GB will fill up very very fast with any other file type. I know what I am talking about, I use SVN for website projects and a gigabyte is gone like nothing even with just code a a few graphics files.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I recently signed up and like it (was using gmail drive). Hope they will put out a WebOS client but in the meantime, they need to have a WAP based web browser version that would work with most any phone. The cross-platform sharing works well.

If you want to setup your own fileserver, ORB can do the same thing with no addition disk space charges.

Download here...
    https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg1MTQ5
    Since the Pre uses a Webkit browser the iPhone Version of Mobile Dropbox should work just fine on the Pre

Dropbox - Log in
    I keep my "notes" on iMac, Macbook on DropBox... and now I will be able to access them on the Pre... all synced with each other.

DropBox is way more useful than FTP.... anyone who knocks it isnt seeing it for what it is. I sync my bookmarks with it, my 1Passwrd Keychain etc etc...
    I've been using dropbox since the beta. It's a great service, but yeah, no idea if they'll go belly up or not. Regardless, it's not like I'd lose anything. As stated, it's a syncing service, not purely an online storage service.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricMonk View Post
    As mentioned Dropbox is a syncing service. It takes any selected Linux/Windows/OS X file/folder and keeps it in sync across multiple computers through the cloud. You could have half a dozen local copies plus the cloud sync/back-up copy.

So if you had Dropbox you could put 2GB of music in there (for free, 50 or 100 GB if you paid) and stream it your Pre whenever you want. However battery would drain like crazy since the 3G or WiFi radio would be on constantly.
    So streaming music from Dropbox would take more energy power than Pandora?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonemo View Post
    Lol, here is my referal code. Give me some extra storage too: getdropbox.com/link/21.Mc50u5YTnL

For the technically minded people among you: This is essentially a dumbed down version of SVN. Since they do keep all deleted files and also all changes in memory (you can roll back) this is very useful for documents but 2GB will fill up very very fast with any other file type. I know what I am talking about, I use SVN for website projects and a gigabyte is gone like nothing even with just code a a few graphics files.
    Just used your link to sign up.

Wouldn't mind if someone would use mine so I can get some extra space:

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzk3NzY5
    wouldn't it just be easier to buy a NAS drive or router with USB and create your own little cloud for your info? Especially if you use it along with your home pc and store your files there or have it sync with your computer so if you access a file from the drive on your Pre, update it, save it, then it updates on to your computer.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This Dropbox is a good idea! I signed up!

Please share some love and use my link!

Link to FREE sign up!
    https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTExNjk1Njk

Thank you!
    Last edited by majorhavoc; 05/31/2009 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Ok, Cheif...I signed up using your referral link.
    I will give it a shot.

getdropbox.com/link/21.x_vshA6UHb
    getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyNDAxMDA5

yay for referrals
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast