Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    wouldn't it just be easier to buy a NAS drive or router with USB and create your own little cloud for your info?
    This is my strategy for media files. I've ordered a pogoplug which allows you to do exactly what you're talking about, along with a large hard drive ~1TB to store music and videos and pictures and stuff like that.

But since dropbox is free, I like the idea of having a 3GB or so of online storage for smaller files. I like that it syncs across multiple computers and I like the fact that it is available everywhere. Also, one of the coolest things about dropbox is that it does automatic versioning on your files. I really like that.

So that's my plan. I kind of like having a few different online options too. Everything in one place makes me a bit nervous...
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    wouldn't it just be easier to buy a NAS drive or router with USB and create your own little cloud for your info? Especially if you use it along with your home pc and store your files there or have it sync with your computer so if you access a file from the drive on your Pre, update it, save it, then it updates on to your computer.
    A NAS costs more than $0 =) This is really aimed more at keeping smaller files in sync. Working files, that sorta thing. Which is why they can likely offer "2GB"... no one is going to use it.

It's also good for filesharing with friends. A NAS works too, but it's so much easier to offload bandwidth to "the cloud" especially w/ stupid 250GB caps if you're on comcast. Or lame upload speeds w/ DSL... those being my only choices for broadband.
    Here is a great idea (assuming we will someday be able download files to the Pre).

Since Dropbox file syncs locally to all computers on the same login. Have the BitTorrent client (i.e. Transmission etc etc) on your PC monitor your Dropbox/Torrent Folder for torrent files.

When you download a torrent file from the web on the Pre, upload that torrent file to your Dropbox/Torrent Folder in the cloud, that subsequent torrent file will sync/download to your PC Dropbox/Torrent Folder and your client app will start downloading file you want.

You can do this with a laptop, work computer or any other computer that is on the internets if you can logon to Dropbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Here is a great idea (assuming we will someday be able download files to the Pre).

Since Dropbox file syncs locally to all computers on the same login. Have the BitTorrent client (i.e. Transmission etc etc) on your PC monitor your Dropbox/Torrent Folder for torrent files.

When you download a torrent file from the web on the Pre, upload that torrent file to your Dropbox/Torrent Folder in the cloud, that subsequent torrent file will sync/download to your PC Dropbox/Torrent Folder and your client app will start downloading file you want.

You can do this with a laptop, work computer or any other computer that is on the internets if you can logon to Dropbox.
    I do believe with uTorrent you can basically remotely control torrent downloading
    Here is mine. Thanks!

getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyODk4NjY5
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,496 Global Posts
    This isn't really a solution for the pre (well I suppose you could access stuff via the web interface) but the only on-line sync tool I like is www.livemesh.com - works with PC, Macs and windows mobile devices - I've been using it for about a year now and it's fantastic, it just... works..

and if you forget to add a file to it, as long as someone can turn on the PC the file is on you can remote access it.

Hopefully, a pre client will put up at some time.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    yeah, i love dropbox and all - have been using it for a while now - but this provides me no benefit at all with the pre. sure, i can log in and see my files.... there they are.... but i cannot download or interact with them (unless they are .txt files) - just get a message that no application was found that can handle the file.

this will be awesome if/when there is a pre client for dropbox, but until then, much ado about nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I figured I'd try to start a trend by clicking on the last referral in this thread.
    So in-turn, someone will click on mine.
    And so-on, so-on, so forth.

Here's mine:
    https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTI1NDQ5OTI5

p.s.
    These guys can't be all that bad - they're 'Back to the Future' fans.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropbox
    Can I access Dropbox on my mobile device or iPhone?
    Yes! There's a free iPhone app for iPhone and iPod touch, as well as an mobile-optimized version of the Dropbox website. Just go to the Dropbox website on your mobile device or PDA, and we'll automatically redirect you to the correct site depending on your device's capabilities. We also plan to add native apps for other mobile platforms in the future.

Last updated 13 days ago Categories: Mobile Devices
    A native app would be the ticket.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Here's my link. I've been with Dropbox for awhile, and love their service. Would definitely recommend them.

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyNDczOTk
    Dropbox is awesome! Extra storage for everyone!

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTExMTgyNzk
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Dropbox is awesome! Extra storage for everyone!

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTExMTgyNzk
    Signed up using your link! Here's mine to share: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTI2Mjc4MDE5

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I followed the trend to use the above referral to sign up.
    And here is my referral for the next user: getdropbox.com/referrals/NTI2MjkyNzQ5
    I love them too, i have 4gb from getting friends involved. Makes sharing pics and files really easy
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I looked at dropbox, looks very capable, but ZumoDrive seems also capable and has lower cost paid levels. I am pulling for ZumoDrive. Join the conversation!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Since the Pre uses a Webkit browser the iPhone Version of Mobile Dropbox should work just fine on the Pre

Dropbox - Log in
    browsing your stuff works fine, but the pre still chokes on many file downloads -- even pdf and doc files for which it has a native viewer. very annoying.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    a .edu email address gets you 100gb of cloud backup at $5/month at spideroak and all transfers and storage are encrypted. i actually use a dropbox account within my spideroak account (which, besides the dropbox stuff, is mostly music) so my most important docs have an added layer of redundancy.

spideroak (my referral link)
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I've used Apples Mobile.Me account for a yeaar and it was really slow for uploads, then I found DropBox.

Here's mine: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MzE3NDk
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast