Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that we can sync Google Calendar but will the tasks also sync?
    Good question, I hope so!
    I hope so too!
    very good question!
  5.    #5  
    Been trying to sync Google's tasks to my iPod Touch but no luck. I hope the Pre supports this.
    The tasks thing is pretty new to google calendar so it's doubtful the API has been updated to share that data yet.
    wow....yeah.....you just might have hit a dealbreaker for me...at least until a 3rd party solution (Agendus?) comes through......
    I would bet that they do sync. I added a few tasks to my Google Calendar and they synced perfectly to my current q9c via the Google Sync setup (which uses an Exchange server as the backend... something I wouldn't be surprised if the Pre did for Google Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks at least).

Edit: Actually now that I look at it, my q9c is treating them as if they're part of the calendar, seeing them as all-day activities and not in the separate "Tasks" app, so I don't know.

Edit2: Oops, CompanionLink for Google which I'm using a 14 day trial of appears to have done exactly that when I entered the tasks into Outlook. It took the tasks in Outlook and made them into all-day activities in Google Calendar. Sorry for the confusion, but they do not appear to sync on my current phone. In fact Google specifically tells you in the setup of the sync partnership to disable syncing tasks.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/31/2009 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I would bet that they do sync. I added a few tasks to my Google Calendar and they synced perfectly to my current q9c via the Google Sync setup (which uses an Exchange server as the backend... something I wouldn't be surprised if the Pre did for Google Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks at least).

Edit: Actually now that I look at it, my q9c is treating them as if they're part of the calendar, seeing them as all-day activities and not in the separate "Tasks" app, so I don't know.

Edit2: Oops, CompanionLink for Google which I'm using a 14 day trial of appears to have done exactly that when I entered the tasks into Outlook. It took the tasks in Outlook and made them into all-day activities in Google Calendar. Sorry for the confusion, but they do not appear to sync on my current phone. In fact Google specifically tells you in the setup of the sync partnership to disable syncing tasks.
    SO are you saying it not appearing as a task (but as a calendar item instead) is due to CompanionLink?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    SO are you saying it not appearing as a task (but as a calendar item instead) is due to CompanionLink?
    Yes. If I enter a task into Outlook, CompanionLink sends that to Google Calendar as an all-day event on my calendar, and of course, an all-day event syncs fine to my phone.

However, if I manually create a task on the Google website, it does not sync to either Outlook through CompanionLink, or to my phone through Google Sync.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I see that in Google Calendar, tasks is essentially treated as a calendar. Shouldn't that sync with the Pre as a calendar? Not really how I want to do it, just pointing that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I see that in Google Calendar, tasks is essentially treated as a calendar. Shouldn't that sync with the Pre as a calendar? Not really how I want to do it, just pointing that out.
    It might, but that's not how it works for syncing to a WM smartphone, or syncing to Outlook through CompanionLink, the Tasks "calendar" just is ignored. I'd assume that means above posts that Tasks isn't included in the Google API yet are true and that it won't be possible.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Fine with me...I don't want a bunch of tasks in my calendar anyway.

I'm thinking I could probably just do tasks on my Pre only and not worry about dealing with them on a computer. It would be nice to have them in Google as well, but I can get by probably. Have to make a few sacrifices in the early days of the Pre.
    Google currently doesn't support Task sync unless you create it as an event in the calendar, which really isn't a task at all.
    so how do we back up our tasks now??
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    so how do we back up our tasks now??
    I'd assume they're included in the Palm profile backup.
    I would think so too. You could always use the iPhone version of Google Tasks and just create a shortcut in the launcher just like I do on my iPhone now. Tasks in Labs
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    I would think so too. You could always use the iPhone version of Google Tasks and just create a shortcut in the launcher just like I do on my iPhone now. Tasks in Labs
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It'll do until an actual app is created or an update to the included Tasks app is made.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Another alternative is to use Remember The Milk to manage tasks. It's pretty slick, and it's free.
    I maintain Google Tasks via the weblink http://mail.google.com/tasks/m, but it would be nice if it were integrated with the internal tasks. Not sure how it would seeing that Google Tasks allows multiple levels of subtasks, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast