Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I am betting there will be a Pro Version that will let you choose which contacts you want to sync with and filter. Add tasks and Memo's. The FREE basic one is bait for the Pro version.

I remember on my Treo I could sync contacts that were assigned to a specific category. IE: Friends. I have 2 different contacts, "Contacts" and "Clients". I don't want my "Clients" on my Pre and I don't want all of my "Contacts" on my Pre.

I am sure it wil be coming soon.
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
    I don't get this product!!!

As I installed it I noticed it is WIFI only - and only on the same network. So you need to be in the same freaking location to sync. Chapura- Why not just give me a freaking wired option if I have to be in the same room anyway!!!!

And btw, I want to sync my work Outlook -- duh! no WIFI network!!!! OK great, I have a wireless broadband router -- but my Outlook profile is tied to the company domain. I don't think they want me logging into my personal WIFI network while I'm logged into the domain to sync my PIM data.

Please let me know if you find any utility in this, or maybe I'm missing something?
    there'll be zero ties to Palm. Especially if they're going to make me take the time to do all that memo conversion and sort them into folders since categories are gone in the note section. What a waste.
    Exactly, that, and custom fields in contacts are pretty much what has kept me moving to ever newer Palm devices and not even considering WinMo or BB or iPhone. They've pretty badly botched that.
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    I don't think Palm realized how loyal many of their users are because of their PIM. Not one rival PIM was as simple and complete at the same time. I just picked up a Treo Pro to give it a shot before going back to my Centro or 755, and I'm having a hard time with Pocket Outlook because my four custom fields are now user defined fields and they don't sync over to Windows Mobile. Would be nice if they had a custom area that let you choose so many custom fields based on your needs. Even 3rd party PIM's don't seem to be of much help as they only manipulate the info that makes it onto the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogpre View Post
    Exactly, that, and custom fields in contacts are pretty much what has kept me moving to ever newer Palm devices and not even considering WinMo or BB or iPhone. They've pretty badly botched that.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    Geoff: no, PocketMirror didn't sync my contact pictures from Outlook either. (I only had two pictures, but they didn't sync.)

FWIW DTA did copy over my contact pictures from Palm Desktop.
    THat's really weak software if they cannot copy the pics.

i think Palm has really thought ahead of us.... and really the way to go is syncing thru the cloud... it seems all the solutions are imperfect.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I posted somewhere else on this but thought I'd also post here. I want my PocketMirror to be the only calendar on my phone. Right now, I have both my Pocket Mirror (calendar and contacts) AND my Palm Profile (calendar and contacts); meaning I basically have two of everything.

I don't want my Palm Profile because I'm going to be sync-ing with PM. I tried a Full Erase prior to doing the initial PM sync but it just went to Palm and got all my info off their server or whatever. HELP!
    tIt appears none of the 3rd party tools is syncing tasks or notes. This makes me think the SDK provides no access to those databases. The more time I spend reading these forums, the more this word comes to mind: FAIL.

God, I wanted the Pre to be great, but it's half-baked at best. The new regime at Palm has thrown the baby out with the bath water. They clearly have no understanding of, and no desire to understand, the business user.

I hate WM (unless maybe 7.0 is truly a drastic change), so I'll be hanging onto my Treo as long it lasts, it would seem. I don't know where I'll go next, when forced to. Google software is all half-baked and unfinished. MS doesn't understand the needs of a mobile interface at all. Palm seems to have forgotten what made them succesful, and Apple is just a glorified music player: even in 3.0 the PIM apps are the same weak stepchildren they've always been. Maybe I should buy a couple of extra Treos, just to have around if my currrent one dies.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    No need to worry about Notes/Memos. Import them all into Evernote then you can access them from any computer / phone / PDA, anywhere, anytime. Not to mention the desktop client has incredible clipping tools that Outlook / Palm Desktop could only dream about.

And guess what, you can create an evernote called ToDo list. Then you can solve that problem as well.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    I posted somewhere else on this but thought I'd also post here. I want my PocketMirror to be the only calendar on my phone. Right now, I have both my Pocket Mirror (calendar and contacts) AND my Palm Profile (calendar and contacts); meaning I basically have two of everything.

I don't want my Palm Profile because I'm going to be sync-ing with PM. I tried a Full Erase prior to doing the initial PM sync but it just went to Palm and got all my info off their server or whatever. HELP!
    OK, I know it's kinda taboo to quote yourself but I figured this out. To reset your Palm Profile, go into Backup and turn it off. Confirm the dialog box "Turn Off and Erase Backup Data." I'm not sure if you have to remove all accounts from the device but you might try it (I only had one account to erase). Full Erase your device from the "Device Info" settings and when it comes back up, wa-la, no more info. Then you can sync your PocketMirror and it'll be the only shizzle on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by fbeaumont View Post
    I don't get this product!!!

As I installed it I noticed it is WIFI only - and only on the same network. So you need to be in the same freaking location to sync. Chapura- Why not just give me a freaking wired option if I have to be in the same room anyway!!!!

And btw, I want to sync my work Outlook -- duh! no WIFI network!!!! OK great, I have a wireless broadband router -- but my Outlook profile is tied to the company domain. I don't think they want me logging into my personal WIFI network while I'm logged into the domain to sync my PIM data.

Please let me know if you find any utility in this, or maybe I'm missing something?
    This program is free and not made by Palm. Not to mention the phone has only been out for one week. RELAX! and your prayers will be answered......
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    OK, I know it's kinda taboo to quote yourself but I figured this out. To reset your Palm Profile, go into Backup and turn it off. Confirm the dialog box "Turn Off and Erase Backup Data." I'm not sure if you have to remove all accounts from the device but you might try it (I only had one account to erase). Full Erase your device from the "Device Info" settings and when it comes back up, wa-la, no more info. Then you can sync your PocketMirror and it'll be the only shizzle on there.
    Another way to do this is to "Partial Erase" and then set the phone up again with a new email address and profile. That's what I ended up doing.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I've been syncing for almost an hour and I 'm hoping it will be done in the next few minutes. Had 540 contacts and 4700 calander items. Don't start this right before you have to leave the office! Hopefully it will be much faster (at least 100X to make it work for me) after the intial sync.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    This may be obvious to most folks here but perhaps it might be helpful to a few in cleaning up for Outlook sync:

1) I initially synched to Palm Profile using old Treo data. At that point, there's no way to edit contacts on a desktop... only the Pre.

2) After multiple gyrations of gmail, desktop and outlook, I finally got a consolidated list of Outlook contacts.

3) I followed the instructions in post #29 of this thread to wipe the Pre and the Profile to avoid repopulation. I also deleted gmail contacts synch to avoid multiple entries of the same number/email.

4) Used Pocket Mirror and now everything is clean with harmonized Pre and Outlook.

A couple of notes from Chapura Help desk:

1) There is no manual for Pocket Mirror for Web OS.
    2) The pro paid version "is not going to be identical" to the trial/beta version. Help did not specify differences or timeline.
    3) After initial synch, PM only searches for differences between Outlook and Pre. It should not run through every single contact again.
    4) PM is a two way sync. If you delete a contact from Outlook and then sync, the contact will be deleted from the Pre and vice versa.
    5) INadvertant deletions can be rescued in a variety of ways: For example, if you delete someone from Pre, then go to Outlook, change that contact in some way, and then sync. You can also rescue inadvertant Outlook deletions from the deleted folder.

Hope that assists some folks.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddard1 View Post

5) INadvertant deletions can be rescued in a variety of ways: For example, if you delete someone from Pre, then go to Outlook, change that contact in some way, and then sync. You can also rescue inadvertant Outlook deletions from the deleted folder....
    I haven't had to do this but nice find!
    While I agree with everybody here, I think its time for most people to accept the fact that Palm really wants you to use "the cloud". If you want to use the Pre to the best of its abilities you should probably look at an exchange hosted solution for calendar and contacts.

For notes and tasks, I have a feeling we will be waiting for 3rd party solutions.
    I wrote Chapura tech support a while back. The confirmed that Tasks and Notes are in future plans. The other question I asked was about getting my Outlook contact pics to sync with my phone. They said they currently don't have access to the pre in a way that will let them make this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I hate WM (unless maybe 7.0 is truly a drastic change), so I'll be hanging onto my Treo as long it lasts, it would seem. I don't know where I'll go next, when forced to. Google software is all half-baked and unfinished. MS doesn't understand the needs of a mobile interface at all. Palm seems to have forgotten what made them succesful, and Apple is just a glorified music player: even in 3.0 the PIM apps are the same weak stepchildren they've always been. Maybe I should buy a couple of extra Treos, just to have around if my currrent one dies.
    On the iPhone, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile I definitely recommend Pocket Informant. In my opinion its the best 3rd party PIM replacement available. I have it installed on my iPhone and Blackberry 8900 now.

Also, the maker of Datebk6 seems interested in creating an app for the iPhone and Blackberry.

The days of relying on built in PIM apps are over.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    For notes and tasks, I have a feeling we will be waiting for 3rd party solutions.
    Well, this thread IS about a 3rd party solution. However, they have been quite clear that a lot of the missing functionality is not going to be free, and that means it is not going to be released until paid apps are available in the app store. I don't know what the timeline is for that, but that is obviously the absolute earliest it will be available. Whether it takes longer than that depends on how far along the app is... I can only imagine it's at some level of testing already.

Personally I'm willing to pay for it as soon as it's available.

Oh, also, there was an update today, anyone notice changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Well, this thread IS about a 3rd party solution. However, they have been quite clear that a lot of the missing functionality is not going to be free, and that means it is not going to be released until paid apps are available in the app store. I don't know what the timeline is for that, but that is obviously the absolute earliest it will be available. Whether it takes longer than that depends on how far along the app is... I can only imagine it's at some level of testing already.

Personally I'm willing to pay for it as soon as it's available.

Oh, also, there was an update today, anyone notice changes?
    I meant cloud based solutions like Evernote for memos.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Can PM sync only calendar and not the contacts? I wish to sync up to my work calendar and don't feel like having 10k contacts on my Pre.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast