Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88
  1.    #1  
  2. #2  
    Apparently it would also probably start a sh!tsorm of anticompete discussions... Anti competitive much?
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

    Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  3. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #3  
    Nice read. I fully expected to be syncing my Pre to my Mac with Doubletwist anyway, and it's nice to know that his software will support it, should iTunes syncing ever stop working. And when I say "ever", I really mean "next iTunes update".

    I wonder though, are we going to see a back and forth war? Rubenstein DID have a pretty big hand in creating the damn thing, so it's pretty fair to say he knows most, if not all, its tricks.
  4. rijc99#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #4  
    Apple should just let it go... It keeps people in their eco system and allows an easy path to return to Apple should they want to in the future. IE. People may try the Pre, then go back to Apple for iPhone Gen 3 or 4.

    If they disable this, all it will do is push me to Amazon and alternative pod catchers full time.
  5.    #5  
    I need to check this doubletwist software out.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    Apple should just let it go... It keeps people in their eco system and allows an easy path to return to Apple should they want to in the future. IE. People may try the Pre, then go back to Apple for iPhone Gen 3 or 4.

    If they disable this, all it will do is push me to Amazon and alternative pod catchers full time.
    Apple never lets anything go. They make most of their money through hardware sales not itunes sales. They want people using their own hardware.
  7. #7  
    Of course he's saying that... he wants people to use HIS software instead. Let me know when someone with even the slightest connection to Apple comments.
  8. #8  
    As much as it looks like it's emulating an iPod, I distinctly remember the Pre showing up as a "Device" on the left, not as an iPod like it would if it were truly emulating one.

    I'm assuming there's some API for this. Can you imagine the outcry if apple nuked that feature though? Jeez...
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

    Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  9. #9  
    Yea, you can use MarkSpace's The Missing Sync


    Palm OS Sync with Mac - The Missing Sync for Palm OS

    Sync music, photos and videos

    sync palm mediaKeep all of your media files synched between your Palm OS and Mac, including your music, photos and videos*. Synchronize iTunes playlists, podcasts and audiobooks and take them wherever you go. The video conduit encodes and resizes your videos for seamless playback on your Palm device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jimmie Geddes
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    As much as it looks like it's emulating an iPod, I distinctly remember the Pre showing up as a "Device" on the left, not as an iPod like it would if it were truly emulating one.

    I'm assuming there's some API for this. Can you imagine the outcry if apple nuked that feature though? Jeez...
    It does show up as a device, not an iPhon or iPod. When I was syncing using The Missing Sync the icon almost looked like something between a RAZR and an iPod. It does show up using Missing Sync
    Jimmie Geddes
  11. #11  
    Also, watching the videos for this Doubletwist software make it look absolutely useless for syncing large libraries. You still have to drag and drop songs that you want copied to the device either directly to the device, or into playlists. Unfortunately, nothing has the actual interface for syncing done as well as iTunes has done it with the "sync checked songs" thing. Too bad iTunes is horrible in Windows. I love WMP / Windows Media Center, but its syncing is just bad (other than transcoding on the fly).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm actually a little skeptical. The Pre might do things the way he suggests, or it might do it some other way. And if it is done the way he suggests, it may or may not be easy for Apple to unravel. I mean, Ruby was the man behind the iPod from the beginning, and Palm has hired a bunch of Apple guys. They may understand the iPod implementation of the standard pretty well. So Apple may not be able to break the Pre without breaking it for some other iPods as well.

    But it may not be emulating an iPod--that's a pretty significant point of speculation on this guy's part. I find it hard to believe that the Pre would electronically tell a computer that it's an Apple product. Doesn't that seem wrong to you? Palm wants to beat Apple, not pretend to be Apple.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  13. #13  
    This thread title is incredibly misleading. It should read something more like "Developer without inside information has theory on how Pre syncs with iTunes and that Apple will possibly prevent it"
    Last edited by pavvento; 05/29/2009 at 02:58 AM.
  14. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    This thread title is incredibly misleading. It should read something more like "Developer without inside information has theory on how Pre syncs with iTunes and that possibly Apple will prevent it"
    In case you don't know, that "developer" is DVD Jon, the guy who developed deCSS, which is why we're all able to rip DVD's. He also cracked the iTunes AAC protection algorithm scheme. He himself has said that he was able to use a program of his own design to buy iTunes media unprotected, but he never released it. Jon believes media should be free of DRM, and he has the programming chops to make that happen for people. The bottom line- when this guy talks, people listen.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    In case you don't know, that "developer" is DVD Jon, the guy who developed deCSS, which is why we're all able to rip DVD's. He also cracked the iTunes AAC protection algorithm scheme. He himself has said that he was able to use a program of his own design to buy iTunes media unprotected, but he never released it. Jon believes media should be free of DRM, and he has the programming chops to make that happen for people. The bottom line- when this guy talks, people listen.
    I know exactly who he is, and if he was talking about DRM here, people might listen. Instead, he's talking about something that he hasn't worked on (the Pre). No better than me saying random nonsense about DRM, a subject I'm not qualified to speak on either.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    In case you don't know, that "developer" is DVD Jon, the guy who developed deCSS, which is why we're all able to rip DVD's. He also cracked the iTunes AAC protection algorithm scheme. He himself has said that he was able to use a program of his own design to buy iTunes media unprotected, but he never released it. Jon believes media should be free of DRM, and he has the programming chops to make that happen for people. The bottom line- when this guy talks, people listen.
    A great developer absolutely, and by what I've read in the past a good guy. Does that make the title any more accurate? I have yet to read where it states "Apple to stop Palm itunes sync"
  17. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    A great developer absolutely, and by what I've read in the past a good guy. Does that make the title any more accurate? I have yet to read where it states "Apple to stop Palm itunes sync"
    Guess not. It was more conjecture on the OP's part based on the ease of which DVD Jon thinks the door could be closed. But you're right- the title is misleading. My bad.
  18. #18  
    I still find it hard to believe that Palm would do something like this if there's a chance of it being shut down. With so much riding on this phone the last thing they need is a defeat before it's even released. I can't imagine them announcing this without an agreement already in place.
  19. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I know exactly who he is, and if he was talking about DRM here, people might listen. Instead, he's talking about something that he hasn't worked on (the Pre). No better than me saying random nonsense about DRM, a subject I'm not qualified to speak on either.
    I don't think that comparison works, really. Jon's knowledge lies in how one part talks to another part- how DVD's talk to the DVD player, how Apple's servers make a handshake to ensure they're talking to iTunes, etc. The thing is- he's cracked those handshakes, so I think he's superbly qualified in commenting and postulating as to how a 3rd party device could make a handshake to iTunes without it's approval, and take advantage of the sync abilities therein.

    But that's just me.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I don't think that comparison works, really. Jon's knowledge lies in how one part talks to another part- how DVD's talk to the DVD player, how Apple's servers make a handshake to ensure they're talking to iTunes, etc. The thing is- he's cracked those handshakes, so I think he's superbly qualified in commenting and postulating as to how a 3rd party device could make a handshake to iTunes without it's approval, and take advantage of the sync abilities therein.

    But that's just me.
    I totally agree with that. However I do not think he is qualified to comment and postulate that this is what Palm did. Could they have? Absolutely. But his blog post, and the macrumors site clearly imply that this is what Palm did, which I don't think either of them have sufficient information to infer.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions