Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here... I have not put any music on my pre... But from what I understand can't you just drag and drop when in usb mode?...if so why use a media sync app at all it doesn't get easier then that.
    Granted using iTunes is convenient for current ipod owners, I could not agree with you more on how easy it is to drag music folders directly onto the Pre in 'Mass Storage' mode.
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I think what Apple is trying to say is:

"Don't call us if you have issues while trying to synchronizing your non-Apple product with our software - we will not be able to offer any support."
    I do not and once again do not understand why so many people like itunes from the first time I used it and even to this day I hate it with a passion. It has not goteen better by any means! And you can't really move your music from one computer to another they aren't even in mp3 format I just don't get it who cares if apple blocks pre itunes is worthless.
    While it's certainly legitimate to debate the pros and cons of iTunes, it sounds like you are uninformed here. You can certainly move your files from one computer to another and, while AAC is the format of the iTunes store, iTunes is definitely capable of playing MP3s and several other formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I think what Apple is trying to say is:

"Don't call us if you have issues while trying to synchronizing your non-Apple product with our software - we will not be able to offer any support."
    That's my take on it as well. I really doubt ITunes in and of itself is a draw for people to buy an iPhone or Touch.
    Maybe I'm missing something here... I have not put any music on my pre... But from what I understand can't you just drag and drop when in usb mode?...if so why use a media sync app at all it doesn't get easier then that.
    Yep, I use Windows Media Player to Sync my music and have also used drag and drop. It's easy schmeazy. I think it is useful for those that do use iTunes but its not a deal breaker. What irks me is the fact a company is trying to isolate the music and video YOU OWN to be played on one proprietary device "iPod/Phone/Touch/Nano/Shuffle". How monopolistic and totalitarian is that?!? My stuff... I'll play it where ever and on whatever I want to. Why I buy a lot of my stuff on Amazon MP3, etc.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I seen that post on engadget..

All you have to do is not upgrade your iTunes.. keep the version that syncs with your pre its that simple..
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think Apple has every right, and good reason, to try to make their software refuse to work with other players.
    I disagree. With DRM-free music being the way things are going Apple would not be wise in intentionally breaking functionality. This will just drive people away from iTunes to Amazon et al.
    I really don't care if they do or not. DRM stuff doesn't play regardless so I ended up stripping all my files of it and use drag and drop.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh, and for anyone who cares, I've always preferred anapod explorer to iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisrus View Post
    That's my take on it as well. I really doubt ITunes in and of itself is a draw for people to buy an iPhone or Touch.
    Now, I do have to disagree here. iTunes is the location for their music, pod casts, videos, movies/tv shows and most importantly THE APP STORE they so covet. The primary driver for the iPhone is the app store and 50,000 apps which mostly are fluff and puff. My friend has almost 500 apps on his iPhone and says he uses maybe a dozen. His phone is cluttered with crap.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    If Palm didn't actually work with Apple to get the rights to do this, they will most certainly block it at some point.
    The way Apple is, I could imagine them breaking it simply out of spite. And with the way the media tends to defend Apple over everything then the media spin on it would be focused on making Palm look like the bad guys.

Anyway, for me iTunes is a MAJOR feature. I'm a Mac user and have had an iPod/iPhone for a while now so iTunes is just part of my media life for podcasts/audiobooks. And it would really suck if Palm fixes the cruddy media player but then iTunes no longer works. (i know, i can restrict updates but a mutual solution is better than hacking and blocking).
    For the love of god, who gives a crap!

It does not matter if the Pre will sync directly with itunes or not. There are several 3rd party solutions that will sync itunes to the Pre no matter what apple decides to do.

Double-twist will not only sync your itunes to any USB mass storage device but it will even convert your DRM AAC files to mp3's.

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

I really dont get why anyone would care what apple does. Its not like there are not dozens of other ways around it.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    lol, I knew it was a matter of time before AAPL got it's panties in a wad about the iPod emulation the Pre uses.

Let the games begin.
    Maybe I'm the crazy one.. But for some reason it seems insane to me to use itunes on a device where you can drag and drop in mass storage. I used itunes when I had an ipod because I had to anapode didn't work for my ipod.. Well then I found media monkey which not only does it sync to ipod but also tags all your audio for you adds pics and lyrics... So even if you couldn't use mass storage media monkey is a million times better then itunes anyway. But none the less before I use media software to sync I'd much rather drag and drop and be in control of the files the whole time.. But like I said maybe I'm the crazy one.
    i hate itunes but i use it for pre because that is the only way to make playlists on a pre....
    Wait I'm confused. So right now, the ONLY way to get music onto your Pre is through iTunes? I went into the USB Drive options to looks for a folder with music in it, but couldn't find anything. If they got rid of iTunes sync, then how would you get music onto the Pre? Would we have to wait for a Drag n Drop firmware update?

I'm really confused - so like what does a new Palm Pre user who DOESN'T use iTunes do to add music on their Pre? Are they forced to get iTunes? This is my first Smartphone, so I really don't understand what's at stake here. Isn't it easier to just drap/drop the songs you want onto your Pre anyway?
    Apple = carefully scripted user environments aimed at the disposable income age bracket.

There is NO WAY they are going to sit there and let someone else make money off of what they did. If this was not the case, why can't you run their OS on any Intel boxes? Its all the same chipset these days, yet Apple has made it that you can run Leopard on anything but a box that as Apple firmware on it. Apple wants you to buy their hardware and their software and want you to run it according to Apple rules. This all equates to a carefully scripted environment where its easy to get you to drink the Kool-Aid/

Apple is good at showing/telling its users what they will be able to do and how they will be able to do it. That helps with the illusion that their products are superior, etc. Don't get me wrong, they make good stuff. But if you pigeon hole so you can't get the oppurtunity to draw outside the lines, it seems to do its thing even better.

My money is on a complete Apple **** block on Palm inside of 30 days.
    This is yet another reason I don't use iTunes. It just plain sucks. PERIOD. No if's and's or but's. iTunes sucks.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinsexed View Post
    Wait I'm confused. So right now, the ONLY way to get music onto your Pre is through iTunes? I went into the USB Drive options to looks for a folder with music in it, but couldn't find anything. If they got rid of iTunes sync, then how would you get music onto the Pre? Would we have to wait for a Drag n Drop firmware update?

I'm really confused - so like what does a new Palm Pre user who DOESN'T use iTunes do to add music on their Pre? Are they forced to get iTunes? This is my first Smartphone, so I really don't understand what's at stake here. Isn't it easier to just drap/drop the songs you want onto your Pre anyway?
    You can make your own music folder on your Pre when connected through USB. Actually, you can call it anything you want as long as there are music files in it. I rip my own music from CD or stuff I have purchased from other stores into mp3 files. Dropped them into a folder called music on the Pre and now I can play them with no problem.

According to the Pre user manual, it will only play certain types of files:

You can play music that you copy from your computer or stream from the Web in the following formats: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

But if you do make a Music folder, I beleive you cannot make subfolders under that (like artist or album folders) because the Pre will only see 1 folder deep. Or at least I think that is what someone posted earlier. I haven't tried it yet to verify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    You can make your own music folder on your Pre when connected through USB. Actually, you can call it anything you want as long as there are music files in it. I rip my own music from CD or stuff I have purchased from other stores into mp3 files. Dropped them into a folder called music on the Pre and now I can play them with no problem.

According to the Pre user manual, it will only play certain types of files:

You can play music that you copy from your computer or stream from the Web in the following formats: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

But if you do make a Music folder, I beleive you cannot make subfolders under that (like artist or album folders) because the Pre will only see 1 folder deep. Or at least I think that is what someone posted earlier. I haven't tried it yet to verify.
    Interesting... I guess I thought the Pre's Media Player system would know how to dig into music folders, like a computer. So if I just had one massive .mp3 folder, their would be no rhyme or reason to how the music is organized in the media player? I really find that hard to believe - I mean the Pre must be able to dig into folders, no?

Also, you mentioned a Pre user manual... where do you get this? All I got was the brochure like manual when I bought the Pre.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast