Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. hon
    Apple doesn't have to support it, but can't deactivate it intentionally either. The day it stops working, a complain will be filed with DoJ from one Pre user for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Well it doesn't actually say they are going to stop allowing the pre to sync with itunes

This is ALL about the Pre...apple is SCARED....look at the timing...just in time for the 3GS this Friday.
    I do not and once again do not understand why so many people like itunes from the first time I used it and even to this day I hate it with a passion. It has not goteen better by any means! And you can't really move your music from one computer to another they aren't even in mp3 format I just don't get it who cares if apple blocks pre itunes is worthless.
    I dont think they will do it.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Title fail (from both you and Engadget). That is not what the quote said at all.

Here is the full quote from Apple, which is pretty ambiguous.
    Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple's iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    This is ALL about the Pre...apple is SCARED....look at the timing...just in time for the 3GS this Friday.
    Understood... but to say Apple is going to stop the itunes sync, even after reading that is still misleading. They are more saying that they dont support anything other than apple products syncing with itunes, which covers them in the event that something changes, but still doesnt mean they have any intention of blocking other devices.
    Hmmm.. other threads were not there when I posted.. Mod please delete or merge.
    ETUTREO300
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    even if they do break the sync - i will stay at my current version of iTunes - i'm not worried
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    All they seem to be stating is they dont support 3rd party devices. Nothing devious in them stating that.
    They did the same thing right before they bricked unlocked iphones
    I'm syncing right now. Gonna get it while the getting is good
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed. Apple plans to release the next iPhone software update, containing many new features including the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store (Apple - iTunes - The world’s most popular digital media player.), later this week. Apple strongly discourages users from installing unauthorized unlocking programs on their iPhones. Users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone violate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty. The permanent inability to use an iPhone due to installing unlocking software is not covered under the iPhone's warranty.
    That is what apple posted right before they effed over peoples' iphones.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Wouldn't you think that other companies creating devices that sync with your software would be a good thing if you were Apple? That it means that your software had become the standard in music management? I'm not saying that they should encourage others to create devices that work with their software, but blocking others from using the software would seem strange to me.

And for the record, I can't stand iTunes. I find it annoying, unnecessary and more trouble than its worth. I've always preferred straight drag and drop and my life is much easier that way. The Pre works perfectly for me in that regard. And my old Treo 680 is now being used as an extra mp3 player for all of the SD cards I accumulated over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    That is what apple posted right before they effed over peoples' iphones.
    At least in this case Apple won't be able to 'eff' people's phones. Owners will just be inconvenienced while somebody figures out how to get around Apple's new obstructionism.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Just don't update past 8.2. I'll have a copy of 8.2 if anyone wants it after Apple breaks compatibility.
    That's the great thing about palm offering over the air updates. If apple breaks the sync then palm could just fix it on their end and send an update but that's just wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by hon View Post
    Apple doesn't have to support it, but can't deactivate it intentionally either. The day it stops working, a complain will be filed with DoJ from one Pre user for sure.
    I think Apple has every right, and good reason, to try to make their software refuse to work with other players. It would be entirely inappropriate for the DOJ to get involved with this. Of course, their actions against Microsoft were inappropriate as well. As an aside, I've always found it interesting that they've been oddly inactive against Apple and its virtual "monopoly" on media players; probably because Apple's so popular on the Left.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Well I Have no need to update anyway now. I can buy songs, can sync with them. I won't be using ipods anymore so I don't see a need to update when iTunes right now is fine for my pre
    I've not used iTunes until the Pre.
    I've tried it a couple times for various reasons but didn't see any point.
    With the Pre I find it useful and much easier than WMP to sync with.

I hope they don't decide to sniff out the Pre and block syncing.
    Maybe I'm missing something here... I have not put any music on my pre... But from what I understand can't you just drag and drop when in usb mode?...if so why use a media sync app at all it doesn't get easier then that.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I agree, let's not jump to conclusions. If you noticed, Engadget notes how difficult it would be for Apple to prevent iTunes from syncing with other devices, or at least the Pre in particular. The former head of the iPod division now works for Palm. I believe he knows what he's doing, and I personally think Apple won't go through the trouble of blocking the Pre. Besides, if all else fails, there have been software solutions to enable iTunes sync of non-Apple devices around for a long time.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast