Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I totally agree with that. However I do not think he is qualified to comment and postulate that this is what Palm did. Could they have? Absolutely. But his blog post, and the macrumors site clearly imply that this is what Palm did, which I don't think either of them have sufficient information to infer.
    Possibly. But when my mechanic tells me that my new Lexus, which he's never worked on before, is a super-duper-new-fangled combustion engine that will work better with 91 octane, I believe him because of his experience with cars in general, regardless of his experience with the new model.

He could be wrong, sure, and an "I think" rather than an "I know" may be warranted, but considering his expertise, his "I know" can be almost taken as gospel.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Possibly. But when my mechanic tells me that my new Lexus, which he's never worked on before, is a super-duper-new-fangled combustion engine that will work better with 91 octane, I believe him because of his experience with cars in general, regardless of his experience with the new model.

He could be wrong, sure, and an "I think" rather than an "I know" may be warranted, but considering his expertise, his "I know" can be almost taken as gospel.
    Absolutely, but we just don't know that Palm didn't work out an agreement with Apple. There are many reasons why Apple would allow this, and many reasons why they wouldn't. I still find it interesting that there hasn't been any real comment about this by either company (excluding off the cuff remarks).

I remember thinking Microsoft was crazy for licensing EAS for other devices or RIM licensing Blackberry connect for non blackberry devices. Only time will tell.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Absolutely, but we just don't know that Palm didn't work out an agreement with Apple. There are many reasons why Apple would allow this, and many reasons why they wouldn't. I still find it interesting that there hasn't been any real comment about this by either company (excluding off the cuff remarks).

I remember thinking Microsoft was crazy for licensing EAS for other devices or RIM licensing Blackberry connect for non blackberry devices. Only time will tell.
    I think we can both agree that time will certainly tell. I think that if Jon is wrong, then because of the nature of his involvement at Apple, if one company could get Apple to relinquish some of their beloved control, it would be Palm with Rubenstein.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    If Apple does ever close the door I would hope that some legal action is taken against them. MS is nothing compared to Apple in their anti-competitive tendencies but they have gotten away with it as they are the "underdog." I don't think they can use that excuse any longer. If they want to be a big player, they are going to be treated like one.
    Apple sucks period.

That is all.

Resume normal thread activities.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    How stupid is this? Apple has never been known to turn away money. Do it...there are plenty of programs out there to reverse it. Morons
    FOLLOW ME
    http://twitter.com/TeckieGirl
    TeckieGirl Official website
    [url]http://www.TeckieGirl.com
    Noticed this from Everything Pre:

Apple designs the hardware and software to provide seamless integration of the iPhone and iPod with iTunes, the iTunes Store, and tens of thousands of apps on the App Store. Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple’s iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.
    So is this a direct warning, an omen, or just Apple being Apple? Will they follow through on their threat and break iTunes support for the Pre? It still seems like a pretty silly notion to me, as taking away potential customers makes little sense in the long run.

What do you guys think?
    If apple has legal right, it would have sued multiple companies already.

If it doesn't, whatever it comes up, anybody can do workaround in 24 hrs.

Personally, I don't care. Pre is not an MP3 player to me.
    Yeah, in a lot of ways, it's almost a moot issue for me at this point. Since getting the Pre, I've listened to pretty much all my music over Pandora now, and haven't touched my iTunes library (which I already have an iPod Touch for if I do want to). If they ever come out with a Hulu app, I'd almost say just let them break iTunes, I don't need it any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Noticed this from Everything Pre:

So is this a direct warning, an omen, or just Apple being Apple? Will they follow through on their threat and break iTunes support for the Pre? It still seems like a pretty silly notion to me, as taking away potential customers makes little sense in the long run.

What do you guys think?
    From what I understand, Apple wants to sell hardware, not just songs or even apps so much. They don't make enough of a margin on those. Hardware is where the money is for them.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Well theyre certainly not going to develop for the Pre. I really dont think they'll do anything to promote or block Pre synching. They want as many customers as possible using iTunes and Im sure having Pre owners buying DRM free Plus songs from itunes is favorable to apple.
    If Palm didn't actually work with Apple to get the rights to do this, they will most certainly block it at some point.

Also, if they didn't get the rights that's REALLY lame to release something as an official feature that's essentially a hack.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Well theyre certainly not going to develop for the Pre. I really dont think they'll do anything to promote or block Pre synching. They want as many customers as possible using iTunes and Im sure having Pre owners buying DRM free Plus songs from itunes is favorable to apple.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. In addition to what I posted above, I'm sure Apple would rather have someone choose to stay with an iPhone, or buy an iPhone rather than choosing a Pre and still getting iTunes support. If a customer knew that iTunes was not supported, that might be a reason not pick up a Pre for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    If Palm didn't actually work with Apple to get the rights to do this, they will most certainly block it at some point.

Also, if they didn't get the rights that's REALLY lame to release something as an official feature that's essentially a hack.
    Except, it's not really an "official" feature, is it? I don't remember reading anywhere in the User Manual or help files that says that the Pre syncs with iTunes. It simply talks about "media sync" to sync music and movies from your computer.

Even when the news was released about this feature, it still seemed like Palm didn't want to talk about it. I particularly remember Rubenstein dodging the question entirely at the D7 conference...
    This just posted today on Apples support site.
    iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players

iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players
    Last Modified: June 16, 2009
    Article: HT3642

Summary
    This article is about iTunes and unsupported third-party digital media players.

Products Affected
    iTunes

Apple designs the hardware and software to provide seamless integration of the iPhone and iPod with iTunes, the iTunes Store, and tens of thousands of apps on the App Store. Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple's iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.
    ETUTREO300
    Looks like I'll wait before updating my iTunes.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    They are just covering all their bases legally.
    Seems like apple is **** blocking everyone for fear of other companies taking away from Apples hardware sales.
    Well it doesn't actually say they are going to stop allowing the pre to sync with itunes
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast