View Poll Results: What do you think of the iTunes syncing announcement

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't care. I don't use iTunes and WON'T be switching.

43 33.59%
  • Sounds good. Never used iTunes but WILL be switching.

8 6.25%
  • Great! I've been an iTunes user and had hoped the rumors of syncing were true.

77 60.16%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do you think of the iTunes syncing announcement?

1. I don't care. I don't use iTunes and WON'T be switching.
    2. Sounds good. Never used iTunes but WILL be switching.
    3. Great! I've been an iTunes user and had hoped the rumors of syncing were true.

Vote in the poll above!
    NOTE: I meant switching in terms of using iTunes. Not switching wireless carriers.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/28/2009 at 06:47 PM.

I use iTunes as my media center, I don't buy movies from iTunes, and most of my music is DRM free, if it's not there's apps to remove it and allow me to play what I purchased. I use viddyup to convert any video I want to play on my iPhone (DRM free of course). It simplifies things immensely (as long as you understand the whole DRM free stipulation). I remember using Kinoma to encode, then transfer to my Palm OS PDA's SD card. Now it's just drag and drop with my setup. Very glad that Palm introduced this.

Just saw this in a thread here, downloaded it and threw it into iTunes to play on my Pre.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1622137

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103800
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/28/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    4. I used to use iTunes but then I switched to mediamonkey in anticipation of the pre. not sure if I will be switching back. depends on what works best for syncing. And although I think this is a great marketing move, I'm disappointed that this was palm's big announcement.
    I can't vote

Im not switching because Im already with sprint and palm centro

I dont care iTunes because I avoided it all along.
    I have always felt sorry for anyone that uses itunes after seeing how it behaves almost like a virus on windows (installs all types of junk by default and is a resource hog).

It's a shame so many people have voted for highly restrictive DRM as the new digital standard with their wallets.
    Indeed, iTunes has been so annoying on Windows, I now avoid any apple products on windows altogether. quicktime, iTunes, safari, etc.

Apple doesn't seem to know how to write softwares for windows, for whatever reason, I wouldn't bent my standard over to support a company who doesn't even care customer's benefit.
    I have an Iphone and I hate Itunes. I will be ripping any DRM music / video out of the files and placing them in a folder on my extra drive for easy drag and drop access to the Pre.

Itunes has a lot of nice things going for it. Its syncing features are not one of them.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I'll definitely use iTunes to sync my tunes. We're a Mac/iTunes/iPod family (no iPhone) so it's a no-brainer. I've gone the route of trying to drag and drop and manage songs and playlists manually on non-Apple MP3 players and it can be painful.

Plus as someone else pointed out it's a nice play to lure some iPhone users away when their contracts expire. "Syncs with iTunes" is a nice, short, sweet, compelling message for the Pre and a cheeky shot across the bow to grab mindshare during WWDC.
    I paved my way nicely already a year or two ago...

Thunderbird/Lightning as PIM connected to GCal, Winamp with USB plugin as audio.

Used iTunes before, took me a few hours then it came off. Too much of a resource hog.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    5) I don't use iTunes personally, but I'm glad that they've broken down yet another barrier of entry for folks already using that ecosystem.
    i though this was really cool.

Face it, the itunes / iphone combo is a big draw for iphone users. anything that chips away at that will help palm. i've recently given into the ipod / itunes world, and look forward to sync ing some music to the pre.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    For me it's not a huge plus. It's a nice bonus, sure, but not the biggest deal ever. What is a big deal is that it's going to be a big deal for the 70% of the US MP3 market that owns an iPod and uses iTunes.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I wonder if Apple can/will take legal action to prevent it.
    Apple has the iTunes SDK open. Doubt they will sue people for using it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I don't understand the benefit of iTunes. Isn't easier and more organized to just use folders in your operating system? It seems all iTunes does, and the other music organizers, is let you scatter your files all over your hard drive and then hope iTunes will properly index them for you.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It's a shame so many people have voted for highly restrictive DRM as the new digital standard with their wallets.
    I have about 40GB of iTunes material and none of it is DRMed. I agree the iTunes STORE is a ripoff, but iTunes provides decent music organizing and syncing - especially considering the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    I don't understand the benefit of iTunes. Isn't easier and more organized to just use folders in your operating system? It seems all iTunes does, and the other music organizers, is let you scatter your files all over your hard drive and then hope iTunes will properly index them for you.
    It's honestly a much more convenient way of syncing than dragging and dropping.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    You haven't used iTunes huh? iTunes actually organizes all your music on your hard drive and keeps it in one folder rather than having it scattered around. That's the whole point of a music organizer, to keep it organized. It lets you play your music without having to worry where things are and in what folders on your operating system. And if you ever want to find an actual file all you have to do is right click a song and select show file.

And that's just organization. There's fast searching, playlist, smart playlist, genius, and of course the iTunes Store.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Never used iTunes (except for my MBP), never will use or install. So I don't about this.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Apple doesn't seem to know how to write softwares for windows, for whatever reason, I wouldn't bent my standard over to support a company who doesn't even care customer's benefit.
    Their whole focus is to make you switch to Mac for a "better user experience". I guess you understand what I mean. Personally, I stay away from Apple and iTunes.

It's cool though that Rubinstein does this iTunes thing though, because it seems he didn't care about asking Apple about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast