Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I for one am very happy to hear that the Pre will sync with iTunes. I've been carying around my Treo & iPod for aes and I'll be VERY happy to get down to one device. My iPod is only 8gb and it's about 75% full with a lot of crap I don't need so the Pre should work just fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    First off, the Pre's real competition is the iPhone. It's the hottest selling smartphone and it's pretty clear that it's the main competitor.
    Uh, I believe that would be the second hottest selling phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Bah - just buy your music from Amazon. The Amazon music download software puts your songs right into iTunes seamlessly so you get the best of both worlds: Cheap, DRM-free music and a nice way to sync it to your (memory-limited) phone.
    dude, your missing the point. If I have spent $10,000 on itunes over he last 5 years none of that music will play on my pre.

Moving forward it is not an issue as drm is essentially dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    dude, your missing the point. If I have spent $10,000 on itunes over he last 5 years none of that music will play on my pre.

If you have the money to spend $10,000 on iTunes, I'd think you'd have the $0.30 per song to upgrade that to DRM-free.
    iTunes still sucks. I would even rather use WMP. iTunes is so freaking bloated.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Uh, I believe that would be the second hottest selling phone.
    What's number 1? The Curve?
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post

Ah, oh well. Prior planning prevents ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    What's number 1? The Curve?
    Yup. But it's mainly because it's available on all the major networks and also Verizon had the buy one get one free deal.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    iTunes still sucks. I would even rather use WMP. iTunes is so freaking bloated.
    I didn't realize how bloated it was until I switched to the Zune and saw it was smaller....

Thats saying something.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Blah. Mass storage/Drag&Drop FTW
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I didn't realize how bloated it was until I switched to the Zune and saw it was smaller....

Thats saying something.
    It's a great program on the Mac

The Windows version is awful and ridiculously slow...
    I was just about to post what Badandy said. iTunes is only great on Mac, for Windows it's really slow and buggy! What I really liked about the Palm Pre is that it you can just drag and drop photos, music, and other files (including Word, PDF, and other supported files) to your Palm Pre.
    If you stop and think about it, regardless of your feelings for or against iTunes, being able to use iTunes seamlessly out of the box is a big deal for the Pre. Not because it'll make iPhone users more likely to switch, but because it'll make iPod users more likely to chose the Pre. I think it's safe to say that there are many more iPod/iTouch users out there than iPhone users, many of whom either don't have an iPhone or who for some reason don't want an iPhone. Many of these people will be looking to upgrade to buy their first smartphone in the coming months/years, and the ability to sync with iTunes might be the feature that tips the decision in favor of a Pre instead of a Blackberry, WM phone, or Android phone. Versus the iPhone, iTunes integration takes one more talking point away. Now, obviously anyone who has a huge DRM protected iTunes library and wants to use it on their phone will gravitate toward the iPhone. Not much Palm can do there. But I would guess that many use iTunes with relatively few DRM protected songs (like me - I had a huge CD library). I was planning to use iTunes Agent or something similar, but this new feature saves me the hassle. In the end, the ability to sync with iTunes out of the box may end up being more important to the success of the Pre than most might think.
    It is a big deal. I've often said Palm is a desktop sync/media mgmt app away from being a worthy media player.

The reason noone really speculated on this kind of seamless use with itunes though is because its hard to believe Apple will go for this. Make all the silly arguments you want about it being a win for apple, Apple doesn't want this.

Once again, Palm misses another opportunity to be themselves and develop their own improved "itunes" program with app catalog portal, amazon store, etc. This isn't rocket science for Palm, they have the know how.

But if this is Palm's solution (a gimped itunes experience that Apple could break at every update), good luck for the long term. I suppose there's really nothing keeping them from releasing a Palm Touch device that competes with the ipod touch. Critical, if Palm wants to push itself as a media device and warranted since that is the pda market now.
    ""DVD Jon" Johansen, a guy who knows a thing or five about iTunes syncing, breaks down how the Pre must pull it off: by reporting itself as an iPod. It's brazen, and possibly brilliant."

More of the article here.

Looks like Apple could turn this off if they want to ... the question is.. will they?
    They probably will disable it. Apple is a bunch of control freaks. All good things must come to an end.
    It will be interesting to see what Apple does. On one hand it will help the iTunes Store, on the other it might hurt iPod/Nano etc etc sales.
    Last edited by kilofoxtrot; 05/29/2009 at 10:24 AM.
    I think this is to call Apple's bluff. To see if they do disable it, and then they can call Apple on it if it happens
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    They probably will disable it. Apple is a bunch of control freaks. All good things must come to an end.
    Yeah, I wonder. So far they have declined to comment.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousobserver View Post
    But no Podcast support!!!!!!!
    Do you have a link regarding this? Podcast support is critical for me.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast