Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I'm a Mac user, and this does provide a level of comfort, so I'm happy. iTunes integrates with everything on the Mac, so iTunes-syncing provides better Mac-Pre integration.

I guess we don't need to worry about iTunes updates breaking Pre synchronization, because the Pre is probably indistinguishable from an iPod, and Apple won't want to break iPods. But as new features are added to iPods and iPhones, we'll be dependent on Apple exposing the APIs for those features to get them on the Pre. I see legal fights brewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    I have 1TB (tera, not giga) of music on my home computer. 6GB is about all I need for my iPod Touch. I have the 10 or so full albums that I listen to frequently. A good playlist of singles (genius is good for this)...and then room for new stuff that I listen to and then often delete. With the mix of Pandora and my old standby's I'm more than good with 8GB. Of course, more space is always better but if I had the option between an 8GB and paying $100 more for a 16GB I would stick with the 8GB.
    Exactly! I don't have nearly as much as you (1TB!?!?!) but 17,200 items in my music library is a lot. 8GB and 16GB can't fit a lot of people's entire collection. The idea is to make better playlists and actually listen to music rather than having it on shuffle and just hitting next cause you have thousands of unnecessary songs. For my iPod touch I've had a Smart Playlist of songs with more than 5 but less than 15 play counts. In that range would be songs I like yet haven't overplayed. And using Genius is a great idea too!
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/28/2009 at 03:52 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    I'd be more excited to hear that it synced with Songbird.
    Never heard of Songbird before, so I could be wrong... but currently, it appears to be very similar to what Windows Media Player does. That is, it appears that it will sync to any USB mass storage device, which is exactly what the Pre shows up as if you don't choose Media Sync. Therefore, seems you shouldn't have any issues.

It looks pretty nice though, I hate Windows Media Player's syncing... Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that it can transcode on the fly to smaller files for a portable device... but its method for selecting what songs/albums you want to actually sync is done poorly compared to iTunes. However, iTunes is way too bloated for my liking, so I might have to give Songbird a try, it looks to do it better than WMP. Does it do checkboxes like iTunes?

(Though, it wouldn't entirely replace WMP for me, I'm way too attached to Windows Media Center / Windows Media Player for my desktop / HTPC.)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    This is good news, but it makes it tougher to deal with the 8gb, as that won't hold my music collection. I'll just have to do frequent playlist updates.
    Yea where is my 400 gig phone damn it, I need to carry my entire music collection with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If apple allows it (skeptical here), its a great move for Palm. Personally, i'd rather have Palm create their own itunes like app.
    Why reinvent the wheel when a pretty good one has already been built?

Good move palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I am a Mac user and I have always been able to sync any iTunes playlist to various Blackberrys, Windows Mobile Phones, SD Cards... anything that the Mac sees as Mass Storage. Either by a Script or a small program. I am amazed that someone who wants their iTunes music on a non-Apple device isnt aware of that.
    This is why I felt that this was nto the big announcement that Palm meant but I guess I was wrong.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    However, iTunes is way too bloated for my liking, so I might have to give Songbird a try, it looks to do it better than WMP. Does it do checkboxes like iTunes?
    I'm not sure what you mean by checkboxes (I havent used itunes in ages). Songbird is based on Mozilla and it has "addons" just like mozilla. The Mashtape one is awesome. It automatically will display artist info at the bottom, including wiki info, reviews, photos, and videos. If you click on a link in the wiki info, it opens a new, tabbed window. Pretty sweet. Other addons that I use are lyricsm shoutcast, and music recommendations.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    That's HUGE news. I will most likely be switching from my iPhone to the Pre now.
    That is probably whey they (Palm) think it is a big deal - to get iPhone switchers. My kids have Ipod Touches and I personally hate it when I have to use iTunes.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    That is probably whey they (Palm) think it is a big deal - to get iPhone switchers. My kids have Ipod Touches and I personally hate it when I have to use iTunes.
    I don't know why they (and everyone else) is so obsessed with the iPhone. The Pre's real competition will probably be Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbloom164 View Post
    I am sitting here asking myself that same quesiton. iTunes "sync'ing" really! That was the big news? This kinda feels like a let down.
    I feel the same way. I thought it would be 4g or something more exciting. I don't use itune so its nothing interesting to me. And what about amazon mp3 store, won't that hurt their partner? I know they trying to get people to switch from iphone to pre but still I expect something bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I don't know why they (and everyone else) is so obsessed with the iPhone. The Pre's real competition will probably be Android.
    First off, the Pre's real competition is the iPhone. It's the hottest selling smartphone and it's pretty clear that it's the main competitor. Secondly, it's important because it gets people like *me* to have less of reason to stick with their iPhone. For all the crap that iTunes gets on a lot of sites, the point isn't whether you find the software fantastic or not, it's the whole integration and that it "just works" that is so important. Remember, a lot of people who are switching to the Pre will have Macs, and iTunes on a mac is extremely fast, snappy, and very un-bloated. I have a Mac and I can attest to this. I've used iTunes on a PC and it's a piece of crud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitedzero View Post
    I feel the same way. I thought it would be 4g or something more exciting.
    You know enough about 4G to drop its name and yet don't know it would never come out for (this current version) of the Pre?
    DRM free only- so itunes downloads will not play unless you upgrade to itunes plus which doubles the bitrate/file size.

Still- I think this is huge news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    DRM free only- so itunes downloads will not play unless you upgrade to itunes plus which doubles the bitrate/file size.

You can pretty easily remove all the DRM from existing files and keep them at the same bitrate

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    You can pretty easily remove all the DRM from existing files and keep them at the same bitrate
    iTunes plus was eliminated months ago. It's just iTunes now, and it's all DRM-free AAC files.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    iTunes plus was eliminated months ago. It's just iTunes now, and it's all DRM-free AAC files.

My older downloads still had/have DRM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    My older downloads still had/have DRM.
    Of course they do. They're also 128 kbps too. Unless you upgrade to the newer versions (DRM-free 256 kpbs) - you should be presented with a link to do so in the iTunes Store - they're going to stay that way.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    iTunes plus was not eliminated- iTunes plus is iTunes now. It is all 256k aac drm free.

The point is the typical itunes user still has a huge library of 128k drm unless they upgraded.
    iTunes plus was not eliminated- iTunes plus is iTunes now. It is all 256k aac drm free.

The point is the typical itunes user still has a huge library of 128k drm unless they upgraded.
    Eliminated, merged, whatever - there is no more iTunes Plus.

But yeah, that is probably true. Then it's a money opportunity for Apple!
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Bah - just buy your music from Amazon. The Amazon music download software puts your songs right into iTunes seamlessly so you get the best of both worlds: Cheap, DRM-free music and a nice way to sync it to your (memory-limited) phone.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast