Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    This is good news for the majority and just to be able to say it, but it doesn't really change anything (I already planned on using iTunes Agent). Still, good to be able to boast about.

Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    this is really a sigh of relief for me. I'm a Mac person, so this was the dealbreaker.

BTW, I'm switching from the iPhone to the Pre come June 6th.
    But you could already download programs like iTunes Agent to do this anyway, so I don't see how this could ever of been a deal breaker. There's always answers if you do some research.
    It's not an issue of whether or not you could download a program or script to make it work. 90% of computer users won't put up with that (made up statistic, but it's close to true). They want it to just work, that's why Apple owns ~70% of the MP3 player market.

If the Pre really will work seamlessly with iTunes (and WMP), then that's a big advertising win for Palm.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    It's not an issue of whether or not you could download a program or script to make it work. 90% of computer users won't put up with that (made up statistic, but it's close to true). They want it to just work, that's why Apple owns ~70% of the MP3 player market.

If the Pre really will work seamlessly with iTunes (and WMP), then that's a big advertising win for Palm.
    You have to know that there is absolutely no way Apple would allow that right?

I understand that for the general population it's good to be able to say and boast about, as you can see those exact words in my post. For one person who's so "techie" that they're on a forum discussing all aspects of a cellphone launch, I would imagine they are not above downloading one program to fix the "dealbreaker" they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    You have to know that there is absolutely no way Apple would allow that right?
    They advertise that Microsoft Office works fine on their machines... Apple can go ahead and throw a fit about it, but there's no legal basis for their argument. The Pre isn't modifying iTunes (and breaking any EULA that may be there) - it's tricking it or working with it or something to that effect.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    For me, this is like icing on an already delicious cake. Yeah, I could USB Mass Storage a group of songs, then manually update it as I want, but if this is true, this will make my life easier. I ♥ iTunes and this just makes my music situation that much easier. Now I'll be able to manage all my devices' musical needs from iTunes... now if only my MacBook Pro had more than 2 USB ports...
    Quote Originally Posted by iharley View Post
    Now I'll be able to manage all my devices' musical needs from iTunes... now if only my MacBook Pro had more than 2 USB ports...
    Clearly, this is Apple's way of telling you that you only need 2 USB ports. One for your iPhone and... well, if you get a keyboard you're supposed to get Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse (booooo), plus a Time Capsule so you don't have to plug in your backup hard drive and can wirelessly print... and an Apple TV so you don't have to touch your TV to play music on your stereo. And any computers that you dare bring into your abode should be Macs so you can easily share files over your local network (no flash drives).

So I guess you only need the one USB port. Apple's done you a favor!

Frank Lloyd Wright
    They advertise that Microsoft Office works fine on their machines... Apple can go ahead and throw a fit about it, but there's no legal basis for their argument. The Pre isn't modifying iTunes (and breaking any EULA that may be there) - it's tricking it or working with it or something to that effect.
    apple can modifiy itunes to cut that out though. Regardless i wouldn't buy a Pre based on being able to use itunes that seamlessly. It could be shortlived.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    My Rio from years ago was able to sync through Itunes. This is more surprising than it is impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    This is good news for the majority and just to be able to say it, but it doesn't really change anything (I already planned on using iTunes Agent). Still, good to be able to boast about.

But you could already download programs like iTunes Agent to do this anyway, so I don't see how this could ever of been a deal breaker. There's always answers if you do some research.
    This is a deal breaker for those who are Apple users. I'm getting the Pre just because it's Linux-based. I'll never go back to any Windows OS.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Clearly, this is Apple's way of telling you that you only need 2 USB ports. One for your iPhone and... well, if you get a keyboard you're supposed to get Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse (booooo), plus a Time Capsule so you don't have to plug in your backup hard drive and can wirelessly print... and an Apple TV so you don't have to touch your TV to play music on your stereo. And any computers that you dare bring into your abode should be Macs so you can easily share files over your local network (no flash drives).

So I guess you only need the one USB port. Apple's done you a favor!

You know... you're right! Is it bad that as you were listing items I was crossing them off my "Got that" list?
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I am a Mac user and I have always been able to sync any iTunes playlist to various Blackberrys, Windows Mobile Phones, SD Cards... anything that the Mac sees as Mass Storage. Either by a Script or a small program. I am amazed that someone who wants their iTunes music on a non-Apple device isnt aware of that.
    It's because I've never wanted iTunes music on a non-Apple device. I've only used iTunes with iPods. Also this is different because it appears it doesn't require a script or small program.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/28/2009 at 10:33 AM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    This is great because I no longer have to carry a 2nd device for music. But this also kinda stinks because 8GB is "enough" but it does set an outdated limitation for some considering it's 2009 and "other" products offer much more.
    Why did you repost the very same link this thread started with?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    This is a deal breaker for those who are Apple users. I'm getting the Pre just because it's Linux-based. I'll never go back to any Windows OS.
    I don't understand your post still. There are even mac solutions for syncing to a mass storage device.

But it doesn't seem to matter as the Pre will sync with itunes so good news for all.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post

iTunes Agent doesn't work with Mac, however.
    This is great! I'm coming from an iPhone so having the ability to sync my music over with little to no fuss on my Mac will make my life a bunch easier.
    But no Podcast support!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    This is great because I no longer have to carry a 2nd device for music. But this also kinda stinks because 8GB is "enough" but it does set an outdated limitation for some considering it's 2009 and "other" products offer much more.
    For a lot of us 8GB is NOT enough! I'm pushing about 50GB in music alone (not counting videos, podcasts, etc). The 8GB limit didn't bother me before because I didn't know it could sync with iTunes. I'd love to dump my iPod and carry just one device. That was one of the main appeals of the iPhone to me.

I know...I can still do it, it's just a pain swiping out old stuff for new all the time. I so wish there was an SD slot!

Still, it's no where near a deal breaker. Come June 6th I'll be up bright an early!!!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast