Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    for my word/excel/pdf files i'm going to copy that stuff over to to my ISP's (comcast) free online storage (cloud). this way, i won't constantly have to fuss and fumble around with the Pre's USB cable and tiny USB door. if you notice, the Pre's charger cord *IS* the USB cable so it would be a constant plug/unlplug and you'll actually need a second USB cable unless you wanted to unplug the power charger every time (and fumble with the touchstone etc.). no SD cards to fumble with, no syncing cords to fumble with etc.

so, again i'm thinking just have one big folder on your PC desktop and drag that entire folder over to your ISP storage (cloud) and then you can access it anywhere from any device (including the PRE) via FTP. and no worries about syncing copies because you're always accessing the only one. now the big question is - will the Pre's browser support FTP or will i need a third party app???

Local C Driver Folder--------------\\------->ISP Online Storage (Cloud)

and since i'm using EAS for my PIM data, with my Word/Excel/PDF files on my ISP online storage, i'm 100% cloud and will always access the most updated version.

thoughts on this system?
    Last edited by palandri; 05/30/2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Requested Title change
    Honestly I have that this epiphany within the last week as well. I started organizing my photo's so I can "cloud" them. I plan to do the same with my documents as well. Saving data on a device seems so primitive
    There is no spoon
  3.    #3  
    i am testing this system now with wifile pro.

WiFile Pro
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    You could just use your computer to charge the phone. Every phone I've ever seen with a mini or micro USB connector will charge off of the computer it's plugged into.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by polpo View Post
    You could just use your computer to charge the phone. Every phone I've ever seen with a mini or micro USB connector will charge off of the computer it's plugged into.
    1. that defeats the purpose of being able to have the phone constantly untethered to the PC.

2. i have a laptop that is highly mobile within and outside the home.

3. not sure you get the same speed in charge of USB vs. Wall Outlet.

4. the beauty is that you don't have to have the Pre tethered to the PC to get updated Word/Excel/PDF files to the Pre - just update them from a Desktop PC anywhere anytime directly on the cloud or update on PC and push the new replacement copies to the cloud.

and i imagine there's probably some cool toys out there - live mesh, sync toy etc. types of apps that make this even easier. i would like to use the simple "Windows Briefcase" function but that won't work over FTP.

do you see where i'm going with this? it's a whole new way of thinking.

in the "old world" i had too many copies of each file to to manage -

1. PC Copy
    2. Centro Copy
    3. SD Card 1 Copy
    4. SD Card 2 Copy (Rotated with Card 1 along with BBVFS)
    5. USB Flash Drive Backup Copy
    6. ISP Online Storage Cloud Copy

in the "new world" i have -

1. PC Copy (maybe not even needed)
    2. ISP Online Storage Cloud Copy
    3. USB Flash Drive Backup Copy (maybe not even needed)
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/27/2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I have a couple outlet to USB chargers and some USB to microUSB cords...hopefully they work interchangeably with the ones provided. I read an article that said they strongly recommend the Sprint/Palm ones, but that is probably just a money making tactic.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I think this is a cool idea. However, I sure hope this works out and is not hindered by the phone OS design/file system access issues.
  8.    #8  
    also - the security aspect is sweet. if i have all of my files on my device or especially my SD card, it makes it much easier for someone to get my data. but if no files exist on the device or on an inserted SD card, there are no files to get. all of my files are out on the cloud and without my FTP password, nobody can get to them but me.

also - now you are not limited by the storage of the device - you have access to the storage of the entire cloud.
    I use gmail drive for Windows. Hope someone will port to Pre.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Well I have ~5TB of data on my computers, being able to get to them via ftp would be awesome.
    I use dropbox. I does a great job with cloud file storage and syncing. Dropbox claims: "At the moment, Dropbox isn't optimized for access for most cell phones or PDAs. However, an iPhone optimized version is available. We also have plans to add support for more mobile platforms."

Well the url for the iPhone version is m.getdropbox.com and since the Pre is using a webkit browser, I am hoping it will work. Might have to have a user agent to trick dropbox that I am using an iPhone, but I hope it works either way.
  12.    #12  
    i'm looking for -

1. a safe, secure, (and free?) PC app or system that will automate the FTP sync process from PC------->ISP Online Storage.

2. confirmation that Pre/webOS can access files via FTP out of the box or if an App will exist out there.
  13.    #13  
    "I always think of mobile computing as personal computing. This long-term vision has led us through everything -- first the organizers and now through the smart phone space. It's like everything a personal computer is. Continue down that path. What are the implications of a world where everyone has a super high-speed Internet connection in their pocket and many gigabytes of storage, super-fast processors, audio, visual and multimedia? What are the consequences of that? How will that change computing when you have all that stuff available to you all the time? I try to think into the future. That's how we come up with new products." – Jeff Hawkins – July 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    and since i'm using EAS for my PIM data, with my Word/Excel/PDF files on my ISP online storage, i'm 100% cloud and will always access the most updated version.

thoughts on this system?
    First of all, I think think this is unbelievably funny and ironic. You're more "in the clouds" than I will be for weeks!

That said, I think it may all work, but not 100% sure how the Pre is going to handle FTP. I think if it doesn't come out of the box, you'll see a client soon.

Next thing:

if you notice, the Pre's charger cord *IS* the USB cable so it would be a constant plug/unlplug and you'll actually need a second USB cable unless you wanted to unplug the power charger every time (and fumble with the touchstone etc.).
    I suspect that one cable will charge from your USB port, and transfer files from it without unplugging from the USB.
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    First of all, I think think this is unbelievably funny and ironic. You're more "in the clouds" than I will be for weeks!

That said, I think it may all work, but not 100% sure how the Pre is going to handle FTP. I think if it doesn't come out of the box, you'll see a client soon.

Next thing:

I suspect that one cable will charge from your USB port, and transfer files from it without unplugging from the USB.
    1. "It is best to endure what you cannot change." - Seneca

2. my laptop is highly mobile and not on 24/7/365. hence, i don't want to be continuously plugging/unplugging and fussing and fumbling with a wall charger/usb cord/touchstone/microUSB door etc. as stated previously, i'm not sure that usb charges as well as wall outlet does.
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/27/2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Im hoping an ap is made for the PRE like "Go To My PC". Not just looking at files remotely but actually pulling the files to your PRE.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  17.    #19  
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/

can someone more knowledgeable about FTP than me tell me if a basic mobile browser (iphone, winmob etc.) can utilize FTP right out of the box?

i simply want to READ files from my PRE that i uploaded to my online storage. i can do this with IE or FF, can i do it with Webkit?

THANKS!
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/28/2009 at 09:49 PM.
    i'm looking for -

1. a safe, secure, (and free?) PC app or system that will automate the FTP sync process from PC------->ISP Online Storage.

2. confirmation that Pre/webOS can access files via FTP out of the box or if an App will exist out there.
    1) FileZilla - The free FTP solution

2) I am not sure about this one. I am sure there will be an ftp client in the App store at some point in the future.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast