Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    All your data stays on your PC and not on their server. This only works well if you always leave the pc on like I do. Also you can log into the site from another pc such as work and do all the same things as you can from the phone.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by AdidasNYR View Post
    Just use ORB!

You create an account. Install the lightweight client. Choose what directories on your computer to share. Then on your phone using the browser you log into the website and you can click on any of your files. Streams movies, views pics, documents, whatever the phone will view. I use it to watch movies I download on the main pc then it streams them over in very good quality. Oh It plays your music too!

sharing your media | Orb Networks
    1. i don't want to/can't run my highly mobile laptop 24/7/365.
    2. doesn't your data have to stream through orb.com servers?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I wouldn't consider FTP a 'cloud' app. A cloud app would mean realtime retrieving/saving your data 'out there'. Or at least realtime syncing of local data. Manual ftp doesn't really fit the description as well - I suppose technically it can.

Probably won't be too long after the SDK is released that we'll see true cloud apps and near realtime data syncing appear. That's essentially what live backup apps will do. It sounds like Palm Pre has a live backup, but it doesn't sound like it will backup all 8GB of data, just core app data, contacts, etc.

Of course if Sprint (and other carriers taking on WebOS) enforce a 5GB/month limit, it could really hurt the progress of true cloud computing on mobile devices.
    it is real time. FTP just downloads the data (files) into your local cache - just like synergy does with contacts, calendar etc. same thing.
    I use docstoc for my stuff in the cloud. It's great since I'm a roaming teacher for about 14 middle schools and 6 high schools in my district.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask this, but I thought it was appropriate and didn't want to start my own thread. I'm going to finally be getting a Pre, but I don't have Yahoo or Gmail for my email. So my email isn't over the cloud.

Doesn't that mean I can't take full advantage of the Pre? I'm all for using the cloud, I use Twitter and some other things, but not for webmail. I'm sure lots of people use their Outlook email though. Just makes me feel like I won't be using the Pre's advantage, as far as syncing goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfierro View Post
    Apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask this, but I thought it was appropriate and didn't want to start my own thread. I'm going to finally be getting a Pre, but I don't have Yahoo or Gmail for my email. So my email isn't over the cloud.

Doesn't that mean I can't take full advantage of the Pre? I'm all for using the cloud, I use Twitter and some other things, but not for webmail. I'm sure lots of people use their Outlook email though. Just makes me feel like I won't be using the Pre's advantage, as far as syncing goes.
    Not sure exactly what you mean. Outlook is just a program used to access Email accounts from a network (whether it is internet-based, or LAN-based). If you have a web-based email account (POP/IMAP) like Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/Comcast/Cox/etc. you can add that to the Pre to have it download your messages from the cloud. If you are using Outlook at work through Exchange/Activesync, the Pre supports this as well, you just need to know the server settings for the Exchange server.

Just about all email is web-based (in the cloud) the only email that isn't is usually through corporate email services, some exchange servers are intranet only and will not work outside the employer network. That is really the only instance it won't work.

If you are looking at syncing contacts/calendar in the cloud you can use the Palm Profile or your corporate email, or I would recommend setting up a gmail account just for Contacts/Calendar personally, that way you can change it online as well and just have it sync down.

Living in the cloud essentially just means you don't have to directly connect it to your computer to sync things through.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Sorry. Maybe I said it wrong. I do have web-based mail, but I was under the impression you could only sync contacts/calendar through Yahoo! and Gmail.

I will look into the Palm profile. I'm sure I could just create a Google account but without Gmail, and sync calendar/other things that way? Thank you.
    I use Windows Live Mesh, which is free, was really easy to setup and allows me to remote desktop/remote control my other computers from any location. But the problem is the Pre. Although it caneasily get to my info and files through the pre browser, when I try to download office files the pre cant't seem to acknowledge the file type (word, excel,etc) and so can't save the file. This happens no matter which cloud service I use.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    files have to be emailed to the device to be read.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I also use live mesh. It works great with my desktop and laptops, and when I had the treo pro it worked great with windows mobile. I believe in 1.2 we will be able to download files directly from the browser.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have reviewed a few cloud storage applications and am pulling for ZumoDrive. Join in the conversation!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123