Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/
    can someone more knowledgeable about FTP than me tell me if a basic mobile browser (iphone, winmob etc.) can utilize FTP right out of the box?
    The "legit" answer would be no, but the real answer is "it really depends..."

"True" HTML browsers communicate on ports 80, 447, and other ports if you put them in. (IE, type http://your.website.com:9999 for port 9999). Internet Explorer (and others) programmed into their browsers the ability to recognize other ports by the URL - ftp://your.website.com automatically chooses port 21 (the FTP port), based on the "ftp" part. In addition, they have to have the browser handle the FTP protocol.

I can't say what the Pre browser will do when it's released, but I have it on good authority that right now, that when using the ftp:// prefix in the URL, the Pre browser returns a message "Cannot find an application which can open this file"

Personally, I think this is a good thing. It keeps the browser "lean and mean" so it can do what it's supposed to faster! I'm sure we will be seeing FTP clients.
    I currently use Amazon S3 for cloud storage. It mounts on my Mac as a webdav volume. No doubt there will be webdav/S3 client for webOS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #23  
    i found this interesting -

----------

Living in the cloud
    Posted on March 1, 2009 by Benjamin Koe

I’ve realised that most of my daily necessities exist and reside in the cloud.

My Email – Gmail hosts my personal and work emails. Yahoo is my backup.

My Documents – I used to have a Documents folder where I keep all my work, but now that folder is replaced by one called Dropbox. Dropbox syncs all my documents to the cloud and across all my computers.

My Contacts – All my contacts exist on my Gmail account. Ever since they’ve turned on Exchange sync for the iPhone, there’s no more storing of contacts locally.

My Calendar – I use Google Calendars. Syncs with the iPhone over Exchange too, so goodbye iCal.

My IM – In the past, you used to export the files that contain your buddy list when you setup your IM client on another computer. Now you just login and everyone appears. My buddy lists live happily in the cloud.

My Social Networks – I use Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter all the time. Nuff said.

My Photos – All on Flickr.

My Blog – I used to get my own server, install my own CMS, and update my blog from there. Now I’ve pointed my domain to WordPress.com’s DNS servers and it’s hassle-free hosting. Sure there are limitations, but I prefer blogging to coding and system administration.

But there are still things not on the cloud that could possibly be:

My CRM system – I use SugarCRM on my own server because it’s free. Maybe one day I’ll shift over to the likes of Salesforce.com when it makes sense and the cloud’s still trusted.

My Office Suite – This one is half on the cloud. While I love Google Docs for sharing and collaboration, I won’t be giving up Microsoft Office any time soon. I’m happy for my documents to live online, but doing complex pivot tables through AJAX on a browser is something I’m not yet ready to move to.

My Creative Suite – Photoshop.com is definitely a good start, but processor intensive creative apps like Photoshop and Illustrator prefer the raw power of my dual-core to bandwidth for now.

Thinking about it, I’m actually quite happy about this arrangement with the cloud. While the cloud is just another bunch of computers, at least its a bunch. The chances of my single computer crashing on me is a whole lot higher and I’m certainly not keen on losing protions of my personal and professional life to a coffee spill.

Living in the cloud The eOK .network
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    It would be nice if an abstraction layer within WebOS hid the application from whether the storage unit is local flash or remote FTP. That way all apps would natively work with this FTP solution out-of-the-box, and accessing cloud files need not look any different to the end user than accessing local files.

Does anybody here who codes for WebOS know whether it abstracts the storage unit, like an OS normally does for multiple drives?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    It would be nice if an abstraction layer within WebOS hid the application from whether the storage unit is local flash or remote FTP. That way all apps would natively work with this FTP solution out-of-the-box, and accessing cloud files need not look any different to the end user than accessing local files.

Does anybody here who codes for WebOS know whether it abstracts the storage unit, like an OS normally does for multiple drives?
    i just want to be able to go to ftp://upload.comcast.net in the Pre's browser and enter in my user name and password and download and view my word, excel, pdf, etc files that i have saved on my ISP's online storage to Docs To Go etc. i don't need to edit or upload them from the Pre - i'll do that from my PC. do you think the Pre's browser will support this out of the box? if so, i'll be good to go.

can someone with an iphone please test this ftp site for me through their iphone broswer?

thanks!
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/30/2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Shared bookmarks is another great thing to have on the cloud. I'm using Yahoo's bookmarks now across three computers I tend to use (and several vmware instances under those). Would like to see someone, anyone port clouded bookmarks to webOS. I'll switch my Windows bookmarks to anyone who does it for Pre as well.

I suppose it could already be accessed by just going to bookmarks.yahoo.com from the Pre browser, but tighter integration would be great.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Looks like my question makes more sense for desktop apps than for webOS apps. webOS apps generally use HTML 5 databases to store their data and don't recognize files. The browser is apparently the app that works with files.
    I can store files on FTP and access them on my Centro, but I first have to go get them using something like EzFTP, and then open them. So it is a two-step process, which is not very convenient, but very doable if you need access to thousands of files, which you didn't want to store on your device.

Biggest problem is, ftp is not secure. I'm sure the Pre will have more secure ways to do the same thing, and hopefully in one step.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I can store files on FTP and access them on my Centro, but I first have to go get them using something like EzFTP, and then open them. So it is a two-step process, which is not very convenient, but very doable if you need access to thousands of files, which you didn't want to store on your device.

Biggest problem is, ftp is not secure. I'm sure the Pre will have more secure ways to do the same thing, and hopefully in one step.
    yeah i do that with my Centro now too using WiFile Pro

i know it's not secure but i do password protect my MS Word/Excel files and set strong encryption so i'm not too worried about the security of FTP.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    It can be done securely with SFTP. But SFTP isn't FTP, and the server would need to support it. Otherwise, SFTP and FTP are pretty indistinguishable.

The interest in this approach suggests that we should see apps that make this use of the Pre pretty seemless.
  11.    #31  
    moderators - please don't move this thread. the correct title should have been -

How to use the PRE to "Live in the CLOUD"
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    can someone with an iphone please test this ftp site for me through their iphone broswer?
    I've confirmed that Safari on the iPod Touch does support FTP. It's hard to use though, because it renders the screen as if it were a full-sized web page, making the file names small and impossible to read without zooming in after clicking on each link.

Hopefully the Pre will support FTP natively as well and render the directory structure more appropriately.

FTP is pretty standard code and doesn't require much memory, so my guess is that FTP will be in the Pre in some form, if for no other reason than it would have cost Palm money to rip it out of WebKit.
  13.    #33  
    I've confirmed that Safari on the iPod Touch does support FTP. It's hard to use though, because it renders the screen as if it were a full-sized web page, making the file names small and impossible to read without zooming in after clicking on each link.

Hopefully the Pre will support FTP natively as well and render the directory structure more appropriately.

FTP is pretty standard code and doesn't require much memory, so my guess is that FTP will be in the Pre in some form, if for no other reason than it would have cost Palm money to rip it out of WebKit.
    great info. thanks for checking!
    moderators - please don't move this thread. the correct title should have been -

How to use the PRE to "Live in the CLOUD"
    I must have misunderstood your first request. I renamed it to that
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Won't FTP via the browser be strictly read-only, particularly without the ability to save files?

Is that all you want FTP access for? To read, not edit or update?

Even if clicking on a file via the browser caused the right app to load, I don't think you'll be able to save any edits back to the server. Unless webOS has some magic going on that I don't know about, this would require building FTP or WebDav smarts directly into the app.

Perhaps this is an area where WebOS can do some innovation. How do the various existing cloud-based file systems manage this?
  16.    #36  
    Won't FTP via the browser be strictly read-only, particularly without the ability to save files?

Is that all you want FTP access for? To read, not edit or update?

Even if clicking on a file via the browser caused the right app to load, I don't think you'll be able to save any edits back to the server. Unless webOS has some magic going on that I don't know about, this would require building FTP or WebDav smarts directly into the app.

Perhaps this is an area where WebOS can do some innovation. How do the various existing cloud-based file systems manage this?
    i would like to read/edit/write to/from the sever via FTP on the PRE but if it's just READ only via Browser for now i can live with that until a true FTP client comes. i'm not even sure DTG will be able to edit/save at launch so it may be a moot point anyway. i seldom edit docs on the run - it's the access to them/reading that i really need.
    I wouldn't consider FTP a 'cloud' app. A cloud app would mean realtime retrieving/saving your data 'out there'. Or at least realtime syncing of local data. Manual ftp doesn't really fit the description as well - I suppose technically it can.

Probably won't be too long after the SDK is released that we'll see true cloud apps and near realtime data syncing appear. That's essentially what live backup apps will do. It sounds like Palm Pre has a live backup, but it doesn't sound like it will backup all 8GB of data, just core app data, contacts, etc.

Of course if Sprint (and other carriers taking on WebOS) enforce a 5GB/month limit, it could really hurt the progress of true cloud computing on mobile devices.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I wouldn't consider FTP a 'cloud' app. A cloud app would mean realtime retrieving/saving your data 'out there'. Or at least realtime syncing of local data. Manual ftp doesn't really fit the description as well - I suppose technically it can.
    Right, FTP and SFTP are protocols. They're supposed to be hidden beneath the application. Web browsers typically implement read-only file system browsers for the FTP protocol. So the real issue here is that the web browser is an inappropriate FTP client.

I'm thinking that WebOS needs to provide a programmer API that hides from the app whether the files being accessed are on local flash or on some remote server. In addition, the Pre web browser should be extended into a true file browser that will launch apps according to file type, delivering the file URIs to the apps for the apps to manage without regard to the locations specified by those URIs.

This is a big opportunity for the WebOS. This is true web transparency. (Anybody at Palm listening?)
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I guess I'm suggesting that every app that works with files should automatically also be an FTP/SFTP client, without the app even being aware of this. WebOS would have to provide a standard file access API that takes URIs. If they want to stick with standard web protocols, make WebDav the universal means by which apps access files on WebOS. Or is this what HTML 5 storage would do (which WebOS apparently doesn't support yet)?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Just use ORB!

You create an account. Install the lightweight client. Choose what directories on your computer to share. Then on your phone using the browser you log into the website and you can click on any of your files. Streams movies, views pics, documents, whatever the phone will view. I use it to watch movies I download on the main pc then it streams them over in very good quality. Oh It plays your music too!

sharing your media | Orb Networks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast