Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Does anyone know who stores the Palm profile and data for the Pre? With all the companies that are going to be carrying the Pre, I'm wondering if you switch carriers can you just put your info in the new Pre on a different carrier and re-populate it? I have a feeling that each carrier will probably store their own subscribers data to make this difficult. It would really sweet though if Palm were to store it all!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Not sure, but I would imagine Palm stores it all.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I believe it's being outsourced to a Chinese firm?
    j/k
    There's a Pentium III 500mHz box with a 40gb hard drive located somewhere in Manilla...

Seriously, though. They probably have a data center "somewhere in California?"
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    There's a Pentium III 500mHz box with a 40gb hard drive located somewhere in Manilla...

Seriously, though. They probably have a data center "somewhere in California?"
    I wasn't really asking about the physical location as much who owns it. I seem to remember in one of the videos that the rep said that each carrier would hold the profile data. At the time it didn't seem like a significant point, but now that we know more about the Palm profile it would be really nice to have it be carrier agnostic.
    I doubt that anyone really knows at this point, or those who do know aren't able to say...

Besides, why does it matter? You can't change it
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Colligan's basement.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Besides, why does it matter? You can't change it
    It matters as much as every other minute detail we've inquired about that we can't change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    It matters as much as every other minute detail we've inquired about that we can't change.
    Touche'
    my question is what PIM data is backed up? just NON-EAS, NON-Google, NON-Facebook PIM Data? or is the totality of all sources backed up too? i doubt it. i guess just data entered on the Pre under "Palm Profile" Account?

since i have all PIM data on EAS Outlook/Exchange Server, i guess none of my data will get backed up on Palm's servers.