1.    #1  
    So in the User's Guide it talks about how one of the things the Palm Profile is used for is backing up your data "to the server". It also mentions how you can use that in case you accidentally erase something off your phone.

SO, I wonder how I access the data on that server. Do you think Palm will have a website I can hit to access that data? If so, does that mean I will be able to access it to see my calendar, contacts, etc? Certainly I would not be able to edit them, as this is not a sync process we're talking about, but rather, a backup. Still wondering, how would I retrieve and/or view my backed up data?
    They haven't really explained it yet..
    They save your things on the Palm server via your Palm Profile that you set up. Maybe you'll be able to log onto that server from a computer using the same email and password you set up when you set up your Palm Profile, but I don't see why you'd need to. If you ever want to retrieve the data (like your phone gets wiped) you just start up the phone, log into your Palm Profile, and the phone retrieves the backed up data off the server.
  4.    #4  
    I wonder if it backs up MEMOS??? Doesn't say.
    Ok here is a simple bit for what Palm created to help this situation. It is called Synergy. You setup Synergy and your login information for it when you first turn on your new Pre. This sets up the new storage that is used for the life of your Pre (or more like as long as you use a Pre or any Palm device that supports it).

Now, over you use of the phone (and what is gathered from your PC on the first setup if you need to import stuff from say outlook express) everything is continually uploaded and stored on Palms servers. When something needs to be accessed it is downloaded onto your phone. This is why its WebOS, the phone basically LIVES online (and thus the very very high data usage and need for the Everything/Simply Everything plans) using it for all of your stuff.

Now, what happens if you turn the radio off in your phone, such as on an airplane? Simple, it uses and works off of the local cache of your address book, text messages, emails and so forth. The cache is maintained based off of what the server has and is updated every time a change is made. When you turn the phone's radio back on then Synergy goes to work making sure the Palm cloud has all of your data stored on the servers again.

It is great mostly for if you ever need to change phones for what ever reason (such as a repair), once you put your Synergy information into the new phone it redownloads all of your data and the world is fine again.
    I am looking forward to seeing what 3rd party developers do for this. I am sure there will be services that will back up everything 100%. Maybe with different file versions available or multiple backups so you can restore to one of the last, say 5, backups. Kind of like a cloud version of NvBackup.
    Last edited by Paladin; 05/29/2009 at 09:07 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal View Post
    Ok here is a simple bit for what Palm created to help this situation. It is called Synergy. You setup Synergy and your login information for it when you first turn on your new Pre. This sets up the new storage that is used for the life of your Pre (or more like as long as you use a Pre or any Palm device that supports it).

Now, over you use of the phone (and what is gathered from your PC on the first setup if you need to import stuff from say outlook express) everything is continually uploaded and stored on Palms servers. When something needs to be accessed it is downloaded onto your phone. This is why its WebOS, the phone basically LIVES online (and thus the very very high data usage and need for the Everything/Simply Everything plans) using it for all of your stuff.

Now, what happens if you turn the radio off in your phone, such as on an airplane? Simple, it uses and works off of the local cache of your address book, text messages, emails and so forth. The cache is maintained based off of what the server has and is updated every time a change is made. When you turn the phone's radio back on then Synergy goes to work making sure the Palm cloud has all of your data stored on the servers again.

It is great mostly for if you ever need to change phones for what ever reason (such as a repair), once you put your Synergy information into the new phone it redownloads all of your data and the world is fine again.
    Nice description. Thanks. Still wondering though whether or not MEMOS will be backed up. I would like to assume so, but the user's guide states "Your phone backs up the contacts, calendar events, and tasks that are in your Palm profile account..."
    Can anyone tell me how other, non-calandar/contact data gets stored and backed-up? Specifically looking at third-party apps and data such as Audible or eReader books, user database files from Diet & Exercise Assistant, etc. What happens when/if the device crashes (Treo-like) and must be restored? How does this take place lacking an on-board data card to restore from? I understand the cloud thing for recovery of your calandar & contacts, but moving away from daily desktop syncing if new to me as far as being able to maintain updated pdb files.

Thanks1
    Mark
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zippychimp24 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how other, non-calandar/contact data gets stored and backed-up? Specifically looking at third-party apps and data such as Audible or eReader books, user database files from Diet & Exercise Assistant, etc. What happens when/if the device crashes (Treo-like) and must be restored? How does this take place lacking an on-board data card to restore from? I understand the cloud thing for recovery of your calandar & contacts, but moving away from daily desktop syncing if new to me as far as being able to maintain updated pdb files.

Thanks1
    Mark
    If you go to the User's Guide and search everywhere it says "backup" it refers to some of what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by zippychimp24 View Post

Thanks1
    Mark
    I think that the intent is that media where you just view on device, not edit (pictures, video, ebooks, music) are just moved on and off device in USB drive mode. There may be PC-based helper apps (iTunes/WMP/etc) to automate that process for you, but I don't think of that interaction as a real sync, just moving data on and off.

Third party apps I don't quite understand yet. Some (SplashID is a likely candidate) may be associated with a fee-based web service that maintains a backup and gives you a browser-based method to edit the data from your desktop system.

And like others have asked, I'm wondering where the Memos get backed up to. No mention in the user manual. I guessing they go to your palm profile, but wish we'd hear that confirmed.

There was some language in the manual that implied to me that your palm profile was strictly a backup service for when you need to reset your device. I don't think there's an interface to edit or otherwise interact with the data there via the web. Bummer.
    THIS is the information I'm looking for.

One of my primary uses of the Palm originally was an encrypted pwd database that was secure and could be backed up externally. I originally used Datashield by Ultrasoft, the same people who make Money. Then I moved to Ilium's eWallet for WinMo because it would allow me to change platforms if needed without recreating the database. Perhaps they will come up with something for webOS. I'd like to understand how this type of application will be backed up to the "cloud" if not to a pc.

I've been searching in the forums for info about this but haven't run across it yet. Anyone have suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdie View Post
    THIS is the information I'm looking for.

One of my primary uses of the Palm originally was an encrypted pwd database that was secure and could be backed up externally. I originally used Datashield by Ultrasoft, the same people who make Money. Then I moved to Ilium's eWallet for WinMo because it would allow me to change platforms if needed without recreating the database. Perhaps they will come up with something for webOS. I'd like to understand how this type of application will be backed up to the "cloud" if not to a pc.

I've been searching in the forums for info about this but haven't run across it yet. Anyone have suggestions?
    I've been using SplashID for about a year, switched from eWallet. The interface on SplashID seems a little smoother to me, and I think the security is at least as good.

The maker (SplashData) was listed as Pre developer way back in January. And they've been flirting with a cloud-based service long before the Pre announcement.
    Thanks much for the info about SplashData. I'm familiar with SplashID and have test driven it before. I'd be comfortable with anything along those lines (similar to SplashId or eWallet) that met the criteria of solid security and external backup.

What I would like to avoid is recreating the database more than once. Ideally, I would be able to import the data initially. But if I do have to manually transfer the data, I only want to go through the process once, and I'd rather go ahead and do it now while I'm impatiently waiting for the Pre. I'm going to investigate the SplashData site a little further about this. Thanks again for the info and the link.

Update: I also just signed up as a beta tester for eWallet Web Companion by Ilium Software. We'll see how that goes.

Now if anyone knows a thing or two about PDACookbook....?
    Last edited by redbirdie; 05/30/2009 at 12:10 PM.