1.    #1  
    precentral.net/palm-pre-gmail-and-imap-pushes-imap-idle
    Great, great news
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    This is a huge advantage over the iPhone. In fact the email client looks way better than the iPhone. It may even be as good as Chattermail.
    Great news! Now if only it supports the same protocol that the Sprint Mail app does to fetch Yahoo! mail even if you are not a paid customer (for the POP3 access)...
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Great news! Now if only it supports the same protocol that the Sprint Mail app does to fetch Yahoo! mail even if you are not a paid customer (for the POP3 access)...
    Why not switch to gmail and just have that fetch from the Yahoo account. Yahoo mail is basically crap.
  6.    #6  
    BTW, google can import you email from Yahoo. There was an article about this on the Precentral fron page last week.
    (I'm on the mobile site, so can't post the link)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why not switch to gmail and just have that fetch from the Yahoo account. Yahoo mail is basically crap.
    Gmail is my main account.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    BTW, google can import you email from Yahoo. There was an article about this on the Precentral fron page last week.
    (I'm on the mobile site, so can't post the link)
    If I understand it correctly, Gmail will only port over mail for up to 30 days. I dont think its a permanent thing. I actually setup that service for my wife last night (got her a GMail account in anticipation of getting a Pre for both of us) and it only listed an option to forward her AOL mail for the next 30 days.
    Does anyone know if Google Apps does IMAP Idle? I'm thinking of moving my personal domain name over there.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9.    #9  
    That's what the article says, I guess it does.
    Is this something that current users of smartphones can tap into...or will it only be available for pre users
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Does anyone know if Google Apps does IMAP Idle? I'm thinking of moving my personal domain name over there.
    Yes it does. I have already moved my personal domain over.

If I understand it correctly, Gmail will only port over mail for up to 30 days. I dont think its a permanent thing. I actually setup that service for my wife last night (got her a GMail account in anticipation of getting a Pre for both of us) and it only listed an option to forward her AOL mail for the next 30 days.
    AOL supports IMAP idle so your wife could access her AOL account directly from the pre.

An option for you is to pay Yahoo the princely sum of $19.99 a year for their premium service which will let you forward the mail to your gmail account.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    Is this something that current users of smartphones can tap into...or will it only be available for pre users
    If your email client supports IMAP IDLE, then yes.

I'm pretty sure it does the 30 day thing as well. Doesn't help if mail is still getting delivered to it. Not sure why Yahoo has created all of these stupid forwarding rules or charge people to use them. They make enough $ as it is and for a few users to forward their mail shouldn't hurt them. I think this is definitely where GMail is better and gives you more flexibility should you have another email address.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    precentral.net/palm-pre-gmail-and-imap-pushes-imap-idle
    I'm not sure I really see the benefit here, where Gmail is concerned. If both the Pre and Gmail support Exchange Active Sync, why not use that instead of IMAP? For other IMAP accounts, it is a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjcace View Post
    I'm not sure I really see the benefit here, where Gmail is concerned. If both the Pre and Gmail support Exchange Active Sync, why not use that instead of IMAP? For other IMAP accounts, it is a winner.
    Gmail doesn't support EAS for email. It does for contacts/calendar
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Gmail doesn't support EAS for email. It does for contacts/calendar
    Ah ha! I just read that they were supporting EAS and figured the whole bundle was there. Thanks for clearing it up for me!