1.    #1  
    Hi all - I've been tooling around tonight to prep for my migration to the Pre and I discovered something that might be important for those like me who currently use outlook as the primary contacts database... but who would like to move to Google.

I found that importing the Outlook CSV file of my 850-entry Contacts database (available under outlook's Import / Export function) though GMail Contacts did not yield the same results as importing it through http://www.google.com/contacts (which is the standalone - non-Gmail - contacts app recently discussed here:

http://www.precentral.net/google-con...-without-gmail)

Anyway, a few of the key differences I noted at this late hour are somewhat important for me (or at least would save me significant time later on). Using the standalone app allowed me to
    • Import my Outlook Contact Categories as Google Contact Groups

• Import Outlook's Birthday and Anniversary Fields into those specific fields in Google Contacts

Anyway, I know neither of those things are earth shattering, but I figured it's better to have more fields map properly through the export / import process than lose information during the transfer. Plus, I imagine there will soon be automated reminders in GCal for those B-day and Anniversary dates in your contacts.

Another note is that, once the import has been completed, the categories (group lists in Google Contacts) is also shown when you use the Contacts feature within GMail, however, the special fields (BDay and Anniv is my limited current understanding) do NOT show up when reviewing / editing your contacts from within GMail. However the data is not lost, you just have to use http://www.google.com/contacts if you want to see / edit this info. I'm sure this is just due to the "Beta" nature of the Google Contacts feature and incomplete synchronization between the contacts code withing GMail and the standalone app.
    Worked like a champ. Thanks for posting this. One less thing on my to do list.
    Good to know! This is how I am going to handle my transition from Palm to Google!
    I've been thinking about the data transfer, and there's a wrinkle I haven't seen discussed.

Suppose you export your contacts and calendar to Google before launch (I have already, and it seems a lot of other folks either have or are about to). On launch day, you bring your Pre home, set up your profile and gmail account. Things Happen(tm) and your contacts and appointments all appear on your Pre via the magic of Synergy.

Now, you want to get your memos and tasks off your Treo onto the Pre. So you run the 1-time data transfer utility. Which transfers your memos...and your contacts and calendar appointments. So now you have duplicates of all your contact data and calendar entries. Seems messy, even if Synergy links the duplicates together. And if Google is your primary contacts source, the duplicates will try to sync back up there.

So anyway, given that my canonical contact and calendar data is already in the cloud, I'm thinking of removing my contacts.pdb and calendar.pdb from my Palm directory before doing the data transfer. Does that make sense to anyone else, or am I being overly cautious?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    ...Now, you want to get your memos and tasks off your Treo onto the Pre. So you run the 1-time data transfer utility. Which transfers your memos...and your contacts and calendar appointments. So now you have duplicates of all your contact data and calendar entries. Seems messy, even if Synergy links the duplicates together. And if Google is your primary contacts source, the duplicates will try to sync back up there.
    My answer to this (unless the 1-time transfer utility allows you to selectively specifiy which apps to migrate) would be

1. I have Calendar and Contacts .csv files ready to go for day 1. I have even imported them to Google so that I was sure they will migrate properly -- this is how I learned that importing contacts is not the same from GMail as from Google Contacts Beta.
    2. However at this time, I'm not using GCal or GContacts as my Live Calendar or Contacts. I'm continuing to use Outlook and syncing with my Treo 700p until I have a Pre
    3. Run the 1-time transfer util FIRST (migrating tasks and notes in addition to calendar and contacts)
    4. Log into Google to DELETE the test Calendar and 1-time-util-migrated calendar items and ALL test contacts and 1-time-util migrated contacts
    5. Finally, re-import the final live CSV file from Outlook (or PD)

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by greenawayj; 05/27/2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    My answer to this (unless the 1-time transfer utility allows you to selectively specifiy which apps to migrate) would be

1. I have Calendar and Contacts .csv files ready to go for day 1. I have even imported them to Google so that I was sure they will migrate properly -- this is how I learned that importing contacts is not the same from GMail as from Google Contacts Beta.
    2. However at this time, I'm not using GCal or GContacts as my Live Calendar or Contacts. I'm continuing to use Outlook and syncing with my Treo 700p until I have a Pre
    3. Run the 1-time transfer util FIRST (migrating tasks and notes in addition to calendar and contacts)
    4. Log into Google to DELETE the test Calendar and 1-time-util-migrated calendar items and ALL test contacts and 1-time-util migrated contacts
    5. Finally, re-import the final live CSV file from Outlook (or PD)

Does that make sense?
    Sort of the inverse of what I'm planning to do, but yes, makes just as much sense to me. Just depends on which copy (Palm Desktop/Google) you currently consider canonical.
  7.    #7  
    I agree. I would actually rather start using the Google-stuff now, but since I'm still using my Treo and syncing manually, I can't truly migrate until after I get the pre. That doesn't preclude me from making sure that the migration won't go belly-up and cause me to lose all my data (or have lots of dups to clean up) So, I'm playing around with GCal, GTasks, and GConacts while checking the export / import process... hence where I am now.
    I've done the Outlook to GMail also in preparing for Pre. But also reading the leaked manual, I can import though the computer directly using Companion (or whatever the name is)as a one time only function. I'm gonna try that first and see how it comes out.

IGo
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I've got my Google Contacts mostly set up. I cleared it out and then used the WM Google Sync functionality to import stuff from my q9c. I'm just a little concerned about AIM screennames. I might have to make a few new contacts for people to setup for the Pre.

Edit: Especially because does anyone know if multiple AIM names for a contact are supported? I have a few friends with more than one.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/27/2009 at 06:10 PM.
    I've got my 1291 contacts imported to Google contacts. I've taken the opportunity to re catagorize everything. A bit of a chore but only has to be done once. Oh, and I cleaned up all the data in Excel before importing. Thing like capitalizations were goofy. The Calendar has been set up (weird to have to sync Google Calendar with Outlook so I can get it to my Treo. That step will be obsoleted at least. Tasks is set up. I'm hoping that Evernote will be ported to the Pre for notes.
    how are all of the fields matching up? name and website etc?
    I thought about doing the same with my Outlook contacts, but then thought "why put the cart before the horse?"
    I'll wait and see what solution(s) Palm/Sprint provide once I have my hands on my new Pre. After making backups of course!
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Now I'm confused... now I'm thinking I made a huge mistake! damnit!!!!! I hope you smart guys resolve this asap! I'm even thinking of removing my "thanks"!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I have imported my Outlook contacts to G Contacts, but there are multiple errors. Things like businesses or notes for entries (Daughters name is Sue, etc.). So rather than go in and edit them all, I'm going to try the Palm sync from Palm Desktop option I keep hearing about. Otherwise I will have a mess on my hands if trying to merge the gmail contacts. I have everything neat and tidy in Palm Dtop and Outlook, so hopefully I can merge those into my Pre tonight (Yup, I'm one of the lucky ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenjim View Post
    I have imported my Outlook contacts to G Contacts, but there are multiple errors. Things like businesses or notes for entries (Daughters name is Sue, etc.). So rather than go in and edit them all, I'm going to try the Palm sync from Palm Desktop option I keep hearing about. Otherwise I will have a mess on my hands if trying to merge the gmail contacts. I have everything neat and tidy in Palm Dtop and Outlook, so hopefully I can merge those into my Pre tonight (Yup, I'm one of the lucky ones)
    Sync Palm Desktop, Microsoft Outlook, ACT!, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, and GoldMine with Google and your phone | CompanionLink
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    This may be simpler...instead of going to Google

Palm.com : Data Transfer Assistant (Windows)
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!