Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I know I am going to get ripped about this but can someone explain to me what EAS actually is? I see people talk about it but I am not familiar with the acronym.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Use Google....

We will help answer your questions once you've taken some of YOUR time to do your due dilligence. Let us know if you have any questions once you've searched yourself.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Use Google....
    Try it, you'll be surprised at how many things are abbreviated EAS.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by crawform View Post
    No no, it's Eastern Apicultural Society.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

EAS.com |Energy-Athletics-Strength

It refers to a line of nutrition products.
    Use Google....

We will help answer your questions once you've taken some of YOUR time to do your due dilligence. Let us know if you have any questions once you've searched yourself.
    It probably took you more time to write your snarky comment than it would have taken to just answer his question.

But thanks!

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    EAS= Electronic Article Surveillance, used in stores (like Best Buy) as an anti-theft measure.

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    Eat Another Snickers
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I know some people who use EAS supliments drinks and energy bars.
    Life is a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Eastern American States
    Use Google....

Lotta help you are.
    EAS stands for Exchange Active Sync. In simple terms, it is a way to synchronize your mobile device with a Microsoft Exchange mail server.

If you have ever used a Microsoft Pocket PC or Windows Mobile device, you will be familiar with ActiveSync. This should not be confused with EAS. ActiveSync is a desktop application that syncs your mobile device with Microsoft Outlook (the client mail/personal information management application). ActiveSync works via USB or Bluetooth.

EAS is an over-the-air solution that interfaces your mobile device directly with an Exchange mail server. It provides e-mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks synchronization. Think of it as being like Blackberry's Enterprise Server (BES), but without needing a Blackberry server in between your device and the actual mail server. With EAS there is no middle man.

Since many companies use Microsoft Exchange as their e-mail solution, a lot of people assume that the only use for Exchange is in a corporate environment. This is not the only option. There are several service providers that offer what is known as "Hosted Exchange" solutions for personal use. These are usually based on a subscription (and therefore are not free), but they give you all of the functionality that you would have if you were using your work's Exchange environment for personal use.

Palm licensed EAS from Microsoft and incorporated it into the Pre's e-mail application. (All reports indicate that the Pre's e-mail app can sync multiple Exchange servers at once--something that even Microsoft's own Pocket Outlook can't currently do.)

So, in short, EAS is for full-blown Microsoft Exchange access on a mobile device. It provides either "push" (automatically download messages as they arrive) or timed syncronization (download messages on a set schedule) options.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    GO GO Gadget brain! Thank you for that as I finally know what the heck EAS means in laymens lol
    As a continuation of the topic, what are the best hosted EAS providers currently?

In the past (those dark Windows Mobile using days! ) I used mail2web's free service. It seems that is no more, so what are the options for free or cheap consumer EAS hosted services now?
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    GO GO Gadget brain! Thank you for that as I finally know what the heck EAS means in laymens lol
    You're welcome. I think a lot of the "regulars" on these forums forget that not everyone is familiar with a lot of the jargon we use around here. Yes, there is a search function, but unless one is skilled in its use, it can be hard to find meaningful answers buried in thousands of threads.

It's unfortunate that some folks get snippy or rude about answering questions for newbies. To those folks I say remember, we were all newbies at some point. Yes, we had to learn, too.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    As a continuation of the topic, what are the best hosted EAS providers currently?

In the past (those dark Windows Mobile using days! ) I used mail2web's free service. It seems that is no more, so what are the options for free or cheap consumer EAS hosted services now?
    I use 1and1.com. It's not the cheapest, but it's pretty reliable and offers the Outlook 2007 client as well as Outlook Web Access (OWA) with the service. You can also register your own domain name through them.

I'm sure there are other options out there. I haven't searched recently. Try a Google search for "Hosted Exchange". I'm sure you'll find some that might meet your needs.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding And you truly deserve your name ... Inspector gadget!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    Lotta help you are.
    Actually, I don't believe that I was rude at all. I provided him an opportunity to learn for himself. I then offered to answer any questions that he might have as a follow-up.

So I was expecting too much from the OP to try and find the answer to his question on his own, before posting in the forums? I must really be out of touch then....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast