1.    #1  
    in the Invisible Man's "Email" video, he went into his Gmail account and it gave him the option to get mail "As items arrive". that verbiage looks awfully like EAS protocol.

is anyone here currently using Gmail IMAP and getting TRUE PUSH EMAIL with a get email "As items arrive" type of option? ie Instant email delivery? i tried to sent this up with my Centro to no avail - i think it's a limitation of Versamail.

so can someone with an iphone or instinct or whatever chime in? does iphone, instinct do real Gmail PUSH?

thanks

Gmail supports IMAP IDLE which is "push lite" but is push for all of my intents and purposes. Although he's now left the company, the king of IMAP IDLE support on mobile devices was Marc Blanc of ChatterEmail fame. One hopes he did more during his time at Palm than just tweak VersaMail.
    I have a feeling that setting your email to 'as items arrive' will equate to draining your battery faster than Nancy Pelosi can backtrack.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Gmail supports IMAP IDLE which is "push lite" but is push for all of my intents and purposes. Although he's now left the company, the king of IMAP IDLE support on mobile devices was Marc Blanc of ChatterEmail fame. One hopes he did more during his time at Palm than just tweak VersaMail.
    what do you mean by "push lite"? is it basically instant emails but with higher battery drain vs. say EAS push? any other compromises? sorry to beat this horse to death but i've Googled and questioned and can't get a straight answer about IMAP Idle push vs. EAS push vs. BIS push.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Clarifications on imap idle and push email - comp.mail.imap | Google Groups

that should cover your BIS vs IDLE query. You can read into how active the connection has to be for the prospective battery implications
    Imap IDLE is a push email only solution. Exchange expand the idea with other PIM data. Blackberry ?!? - a commercial Imap IDLE server.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    is anyone here currently using Gmail IMAP and getting TRUE PUSH EMAIL with a get email "As items arrive" type of option? ie Instant email delivery? i tried to sent this up with my Centro to no avail - i think it's a limitation of Versamail.

so can someone with an iphone or instinct or whatever chime in? does iphone, instinct do real Gmail PUSH?

thanks

I am using GMail and getting what I consider to be "TRUE PUSH EMAIL" on my Centro using Chattermail. Your mistake with the Centro was to use Versamail. If you want to continue using your Centro, you have three more days to purchase Chattermail before Pam pulls the plug.

I don't know about the instinct, but I do know that the iPhone can not handle 'push' Gmail.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I believe Marc said he hadn't worked on the Pre.
  9.    #9  
    thanks for all of the replies. i guess i'll just wait for the Pre and do -

Personal Email = Gmail IMAP Idle Push (assuming it works OK)

Work Email = Outlook EAS

i tested IMAP with local client apps like Outlook Express and Chattermail before and the folders/deletion/trash scheme was very confusing. POP just seems so much simpler. is it just me?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I have an instinct and I know it does use an IMAP connection. I can see it when I go to "connection history" on gmail. Anyway, I don't know if it is technically push, but I will receive usually the emails on my phone within the minute.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Did a little more digging around. I guess the instinct gets its email from a company called SEVEN (SEVEN). Which acts as a 3rd party to provide PUSH email for many different phones. So looks like it doesn't apply to the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i tested IMAP with local client apps like Outlook Express and Chattermail before and the folders/deletion/trash scheme was very confusing. POP just seems so much simpler. is it just me?
    POP is simpler but that's because it is so primitive. IMAP is a far superior solution if you use more than one email client for the same account (e.g. a smartphone, a laptop and possibly a desktop also).
    What does the android use?

I ask because I love the threaded nature of gmail so much I'm half as likely to turn off push and just simply create a bookmark to pull up gmail's website when I really need to check my mail.