Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read and watched about all I can find since February but I've never heard if this is possible. Anyone know?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I can do it with the Facebook app on my Centro. I don't know if that feature has been confirmed for the Pre, but a Facebook app is. I just assumed that would be possible.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    From the looks of the Facebook app on the Pre, it doesn't look like you can. It's just the WebKit version which is just for viewing purposes. You can always just send pics via MMS to mobile@facebook.com with text in the subject for the caption. That's what I do on my 755p.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I would be amazed if you couldn't.
    You could always go to facebook.com through the web browser.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    The Facebook app seems to be a full blown version, especially since Facebook has given support to the Pre, even speaking at the conference as a partner. It's the full Facebook experience in the app, I would be blown away if you couldn't. I'd bet on the ability being there, but we'll have to wait for reviews to have all the answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You could always go to facebook.com through the web browser.
    You would end up probably seeing the same thing because the browser is WebKit.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    The Facebook app seems to be a full blown version, especially since Facebook has given support to the Pre, even speaking at the conference as a partner. It's the full Facebook experience in the app, I would be blown away if you couldn't. I'd bet on the ability being there, but we'll have to wait for reviews to have all the answers.
    It is not a full blown version. It's the same as the iPhone/iPod Touch Safari version. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ther-info.html

Check out this video at 0:23
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    You would end up probably seeing the same thing because the browser is WebKit.

It is not a full blown version. It's the same as the iPhone/iPod Touch Safari version. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ther-info.html
    That is what I meant. Compared to the other versions, such as Android or Blackberry, this is the most complete "full blown" version available for Smartphones by Facebook themselves that I know of. Feel free to show me a more sophisticated version by Facebook if this is incorrect.
    That is what I meant. Compared to the other versions, such as Android or Blackberry, this is the most complete "full blown" version available for Smartphones by Facebook themselves that I know of. Feel free to show me a more sophisticated version by Facebook if this is incorrect.
    Actually the Facebook app for the Blackberry can upload pictures and even tag them.

Regular Facebook mobile is better than any of these apps in terms of being able to view comments on pics and leaving comments on statuses.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Im guessing so. If not, there may be a 3rd party work around.
    Actually the Facebook app for the Blackberry can upload pictures and even tag them.

Regular Facebook mobile is better than any of these apps in terms of being able to view comments on pics and leaving comments on statuses.
    The iPhone app actually does have the ability to view and comment of statuses, etc. Also tagging pictures and stuff so I would be surprised if the Pre didn't include this at launch or at least have a native app soon after.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    The iPhone app actually does have the ability to view and comment of statuses, etc. Also tagging pictures and stuff so I would be surprised if the Pre didn't include this at launch or at least have a native app soon after.
    I have the Facebook app on my iPod Touch and you are right about being able to comment on statuses and tagging. I totally forgot they added tagging since I don't upload pics through my Touch. However, if you check out the video I link above the Pre's Facebook app does not look like the iPhone/iPod Touch native app. It's like the WebKit Safari version.

I still prefer Facebook mobile because it has the ability to "Like", view wall-to-wall, and "Make Profile Picture" on any tagged photo of yourself. I do like the profile pages on the iPhone app a little better though since it's more similar to the actually Facebook page with recent activities listed. They really need to update everything so it's more consistent all around.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/26/2009 at 05:57 AM.

From the looks of the Facebook app on the Pre, it doesn't look like you can. It's just the WebKit version which is just for viewing purposes. You can always just send pics via MMS to mobile@facebook.com with text in the subject for the caption. That's what I do on my 755p.

You're 755p can upload straight from the Facebook app
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    You're 755p can upload straight from the Facebook app
    Yes but it's faster to click the envelope right after I take a picture and select "Send with PictureMail" rather then exiting out of the camera, opening the Facebook app, go to photos, go to Mobile Uploads or whatever album, press menu + A to add new photos, then have to search for pic I just took. Maybe for batch uploading that's faster but for a pic I just took in Camera, using PictureMail requires less steps. Oh and "Snap a New Photo" in the app only takes a pic at 640x480 which I don't want.

Even still, compared to the iPhone version, using the Blackberry facebook app, you can't view profiles or do other things that you can on the iPhone FB app.
    I suppose it knows who you are by the phone number the MMS came from?
    There is no spoon
    Even still, compared to the iPhone version, using the Blackberry facebook app, you can't view profiles or do other things that you can on the iPhone FB app.
    Yes it was brought to my attention early that the iPhone app can also upload and tag. If anything instant notification is the only thing it's got going for it but that's more because of the Blackberry service than the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I suppose it knows who you are by the phone number the MMS came from?
    After you go to Facebook Mobile | Facebook, yes it'll connect the number the MMS came from to your Facebook account.

18.    #18  
    Yes but it's faster to click the envelope right after I take a picture and select "Send with PictureMail" rather then exiting out of the camera, opening the Facebook app, go to photos, go to Mobile Uploads or whatever album, press menu + A to add new photos, then have to search for pic I just took. Maybe for batch uploading that's faster but for a pic I just took in Camera, using PictureMail requires less steps. Oh and "Snap a New Photo" in the app only takes a pic at 640x480 which I don't want.
    This is what I meant. I want to know if you can send directly from the phone app. If you have to go through hoops of opening other apps and sending it's not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    This is what I meant. I want to know if you can send directly from the phone app. If you have to go through hoops of opening other apps and sending it's not worth it.
    Some good news about uploading to Facebook. Page 112 of the Pre User Guide that was leaked says:
    "To upload pictures to an account you have with a web service such as Facebook or Photobucket, you must setup the account on your phone."

This is within the Photos app and not the Facebook app.

Nice on the photobucket support.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast