Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, so I'm one of those old guys who HOPES there will be the ability to sync everything (Calendar, Memos, Tasks, Contacts) to a NEW Palm Pre Desktop software application.

TWO questions to you Google Calendar experts (of which I am NOT one)

1. Why do you guys use Google Calendar? If you carry your device EVERYWHERE with you (like I do), when do you find yourself entering calendar items in Google Calendar? The only reason I see its use is for BACKING UP my calendar - and that could be done locally using a desktop app if Palm happend to provide one for the Pre (one can hope).

2. My wife and I are both getting the Pre. If I decide to go ahead and use Google Calendar, should my wife and I share ONE account and each have our own calendar so we can see each others, or should we each open our own Google account for calendar items?

Thanks!!!
    1. You enter it on your device it automatically goes to Google Calendar. Pretty nice feature.

2. Up to you. It would depend on how much you use it as it could get pretty cluttered with two people or it might be just right. No right or wrong answer here.
    I switched to GC a few months ago after my Palm Desktop database file got corrupted and I lost all my appointments. It's far slicker to use the GC because I can access the same info from my Touch, my desktop PC, my laptop, or a phone that has internet access. My wife's calendar items also show up, if I so choose. I think it is simply awesome.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I would recommend two separate accounts.

One for your wife and one for you... that way you guys get your own email addresses.

You're able to give each other rights to create and edit events, which WILL work from the PRE, so you'll be just like having one account, but it let's you guys separate your calendars and create individual items as necessary.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    You can do seperate accounts and both of you can be allowed allowed acess to each oher calender. Ex. if she puts it in her calender that kids have a soccer game at 6 on May 28 it will sync to your calender and pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    OK, so I'm one of those old guys who HOPES there will be the ability to sync everything (Calendar, Memos, Tasks, Contacts) to a NEW Palm Pre Desktop software application.

TWO questions to you Google Calendar experts (of which I am NOT one)

1. Why do you guys use Google Calendar? If you carry your device EVERYWHERE with you (like I do), when do you find yourself entering calendar items in Google Calendar? The only reason I see its use is for BACKING UP my calendar - and that could be done locally using a desktop app if Palm happend to provide one for the Pre (one can hope).

2. My wife and I are both getting the Pre. If I decide to go ahead and use Google Calendar, should my wife and I share ONE account and each have our own calendar so we can see each others, or should we each open our own Google account for calendar items?

Thanks!!!
    1) I use google calendar because the desktop access is superior to virtually every other calendar I've tried in the past, is available anywhere on earth I have internet access and a browser, and can be shared to my family/friends. I currently use Windows Mobile, which has a craptastic native calendar, but when I add events I use google sync to sync it OTA to my google calendar-- Similar to how the pre will work.

Also, there are some really nifty public calendars out there I subscribe to.

2) I'd get your own separate accounts and calendars and simply share them with each other. That way you can color code what her stuff is and so forth. The Pre will sync with all the google calendars you have access to.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I switched to GC a few months ago after my Palm Desktop database file got corrupted and I lost all my appointments. It's far slicker to use the GC because I can access the same info from my Touch, my desktop PC, my laptop, or a phone that has internet access. My wife's calendar items also show up, if I so choose. I think it is simply awesome.
    So do you and your wife share ONE Google accoutn with TWO calendars in it, or do you EACH have your OWN account. If you each have your own account, I wonder if the Pre will let you each see both??
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    You can do seperate accounts and both of you can be allowed allowed acess to each oher calender. Ex. if she puts it in her calender that kids have a soccer game at 6 on May 28 it will sync to your calender and pre.
    Sweet - I wasn't sure if that would work on the Pre. Let me make sure I get it. So if we each have our OWN account (which makes sense, since we would have our own email address as well), then the Pre will allow BOTH of us to see EACH other's calendars, right? (Assuming, of course, that we allow it)
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    So do you and your wife share ONE Google accoutn with TWO calendars in it, or do you EACH have your OWN account. If you each have your own account, I wonder if the Pre will let you each see both??
    Yes, you will be able to see her "calendars" in your account.

In fact, you'll be able to edit events on her calendar if she gives you permission....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Yes, you will be able to see her "calendars" in your account.

In fact, you'll be able to edit events on her calendar if she gives you permission....
    So I guess the concern with sharing is that I enter a 6pm soccer game and so does she. Then what happens??
    So I guess the concern with sharing is that I enter a 6pm soccer game and so does she. Then what happens??
    If you enter it on separate calendars, you'd end up with two separate events. If you are showing both calendars on the pre, you'd see an overlap (albeit with two different colors).

You or her could then elect to delete one of the duplicates.

Personally I'm fine with the duplicates as I often hide other calendars unless I need to double check for potential scheduling issues (I really don't need to be seeing my wife's schedule to book a meeting during my work hours, for instance).
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    If you do that, you will just see two overlapping appt's just as if they were two different appt's that occurred at the same time on different calendars.
    As for viewing the calendars, this is something you setup in the Google Calendar App, not on the Pre, if I understand what I'm seeing properly. My wife and I have each shared our calendar to the other person. Then in the Google Calendar App, her calendar shows up as an available calendar along with my own and Holidays and Weather Forecast. The Pre appears to pull in all of your available calendars and then you get to select which one is your default calendar. When you make appointments that are "public" then anyone who you've shared your calendar with can see them (your wife), but if you make them "private" then only you can see them.
    It's VERY flexible. That's why I went to Google Calendar several months ago. I just wish you could color individual appt's or add icons, but Google is constantly adding improvements to the software.
    Get two separate accounts.

My wife and I only share certain calendars like Financial (has our bills), Family Events, Work anomalies, and Holidays. We each have our own calendars that we dont share like Personal appts, work-specific (non-family altering), and general personal reminders (like those asian massages...not really)! This keeps the individual calendars clean while integrating needed items.
    Has anybody figure out how to sync ICal from mac to google calendar ? I try a program called Colaboration but I just can get it to work properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by yvyv View Post
    Has anybody figure out how to sync ICal from mac to google calendar ? I try a program called Colaboration but I just can get it to work properly.
    I'm using a demo of Spanning Sync. It's been working really well and does contacts from Address Book too.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    All I want is a direct sync to Outlook bypassing the "cloud". Please!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by yvyv View Post
    I hoped for a good solution to this problem also, but I've never really been a fan of iCal so I just installed the Google Calendar notifier thingy in my menu bar and I have quick add, view upcoming events and a quick link to my calendar in the browser. Not exactly the same, but extremely useful being able to view and add events right in the menu bar.

You should each have separate accounts.

One neat feature of gCal is that you can have multiple calendars, and that each calendar could be private, shared with selective individuals, or absolutely public. When you look at your calendar online, you can choose which ones to display, and they'll appear in a pooled view in different colors.

I'm currently using about 5 different calendars:
    my work calendar
    my personal calendar, read access shared with my wife and kids
    a family calendar, everyone in the family has read/write access
    my wife's personal calendar
    my wife's work calendar

So, I'd suggest you each get an account. One of you set up a shared calendar, and grant the other read/write access. Then you've got a joint calendar for where that makes sense. Each of you can set up an individual calendar for stuff that just affects yourself, to keep the other's calendar from getting too busy.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    How do I sync my Treo 755P data or Outlook 2000 with Google Calendar?
    i don't like Google calendar. i like a simple and clean interface - like Palm Desktop or Outlook. i don't like multiple pop ups, colors, data fields, and options thrown at me every time i just want to enter one simple basic appointment.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast