Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I don't use OSX or Linux.

Even with Gears you can't "edit" your calendar or contacts when offline.

Google doesn't do memos, and it amazes me how overlooked memos seem to be. They JUST got tasks. I see google docs, but nothing about syncing them to much of anything whether it be from PD or to a phone.

Where are my categories? I'm color coordinated by category so I can look at a day/week/month and see how many surgeries I have, how many appointments I have, am I being social or do I need to get out more and so on. It tells me how I'm managing my time. Thought I read something about how each one would be a different calendar? That seems to make zero sense. Separate calendars for something that use to be done in a drop down menu? I see where I can have categories for my contacts. Why doesn't it carry over to calendar? And I'm stuck with Friends, Family and Coworkers as default categories that can't be changed or deleted? Why?

How far ahead and how far in the past will the Pre see from the Google Calendar. Will it always maintain my entire history of appointments. I've referenced things for work that have happened 10yrs ago.

I do see a place where I can add "guests" from my Contacts list. Though I don't think any real association exists between the two. Does contacts remember all the events, tasks and such I've had with a particular contact? If I'm sitting in Calendar I don't see a link to Contacts. How do I get there? I suppose I have to type in www.google.com/contacts to get there or bookmark it. Calendar always seems to be an option at the top of the page, but it only seems to open in a new tab or window, and it's not nearly as instantaneous as switching in Outlook and PD. And if there are connection issues, all that gets even slower.

Outlook and PD are integrated programs. going back and forth from calendar, contacts, tasks, memos(in PD), is seamless and instant.

This is just from fumbling around with the google programs and searching for some answers off of google. I could be wrong or off base and feel free to tell me so. I don't mind keeping an open mind to all this. I just see a lot of questions and not many answers. I see people listing features, but not ones that really address issues and concerns people actually have. And why are there not separate fields for names and adrs? Many want to talk about how "universal search" is the reason. It can find anything. But I don't have universal search on my computer.

I have one calendar. I have one set of contacts. If there's info I want from other sources I enter it into my main calendar and contacts or onto my phone so it syncs with my main calendar and contacts. I guess this is old fashioned? Maybe I just need iambic to work on a webOS form of Agendus.

I sure hope I don't hear answers how I need a business device and maybe the Pre isn't for me (though the TP2 is starting to look appealing). Palm devices weren't labeled as business devices. They were lifestyle devices and just there for people to keep their lives organized. And (for me) it seems that the Pre takes three steps backwards just to take one forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I dont get the whole desktop calendar application. Why shoehorn yourself into a desktop specific calendar, whether its Outlook or Palm?

The advantages of Google's Calendar outweigh any advantages the other two could possibly have.

• It's free
    • Its platform agnostic... I can be on OSX, Linux or Windows and still have my calendar.
    • I dont have to be on "my" desktop or "my" laptop to access my calendar. My calendar is automatically synced to any computer that can access the internet when I log in.
    • I can subscribe to public calendars: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Schedule, US Holidays, Community Calendars etc etc and have them appear in my calendar.
    • I can easily see other people's calendar if they decide to share it with me or visa versa.

To me the question is: "Why Outlook or Palm Desktop?"
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/27/2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I sure hope I don't hear answers how I need a business device and maybe the Pre isn't for me (though the TP2 is starting to look appealing). Palm devices weren't labeled as business devices. They were lifestyle devices and just there for people to keep their lives organized. And (for me) it seems that the Pre takes three steps backwards just to take one forward.
    Most of the nice solutions you're talking about weren't part of the Palm when it was introduced. They became staples over time.

The Pre is still -10 days old... temper the expectations at least until the birth...
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I was waiting for the Pre to come out before trying that temporary 14 day trial - In case I need it to import my new data from Treo 755P to Outlook into the Pre?

But I think that may be the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google

let us know how it goes. specifically, your Contacts data. can you let me know what happens to the "website" field in a Contact from Outlook/Palm Desktop when that Contact gets dumped to Google? also any other Contact field scrambles or disruptions? thanks.
    but isn't that the point? Why should Palm expect us to take a few leaps back just to shuffle a few feet forward?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Most of the nice solutions you're talking about weren't part of the Palm when it was introduced. They became staples over time.

The Pre is still -10 days old... temper the expectations at least until the birth...
    but isn't that the point? Why should Palm expect us to take a few leaps back just to shuffle a few feet forward?
    There are several dynamics involved in this.

• New Paradigm - Palm is introducing a shift to some new ways of doing things. They impede that when they provide methods to keep doing things the way they used to be done.
    • Competing with Developers - When an OS company (and face it, in a large part Palm is an OS company) provides too many tools to do things, they are in effect competing with third party developers. Though the end user would prefer that everything be "free", in truth nothing is free. The more "things" that Palm invests money in to include with the device, the more everyone has to pay, including those that don't need those "things". It's much better to provide the device and the OS, and let developers provide the specific apps that users want.
    • Maturity - in both the product, and the customer base. It is better for the product to be out for a period of time and see what the customer base wants and how the OS and apps can support that. This is especially true in light of the fact that Palm has introduced some pretty significant paradigm shifts with the Pre.

Again, these are only my opinions, but I don't see that Palm (or Sprint) is doing this one wrong.

Where are my categories? I'm color coordinated by category so I can look at a day/week/month and see how many surgeries I have, how many appointments I have, am I being social or do I need to get out more and so on. It tells me how I'm managing my time. Thought I read something about how each one would be a different calendar? That seems to make zero sense. Separate calendars for something that use to be done in a drop down menu? I see where I can have categories for my contacts. Why doesn't it carry over to calendar? And I'm stuck with Friends, Family and Coworkers as default categories that can't be changed or deleted? Why?
    I've been using gCal for a while. In practice the multiple calendars you end up using on gCal are functionally equivalent to categories on a Treo (in fact, that's how sync between gCal and Palm Desktop works using Companionlink: categories <--> separate calendars.). You can easily and rapidly choose to display any combination of your separate calendars on the display. They each have their own color so you can tell which calendar an entry is from. It looks a lot like the Pre's combined calendar display.

An added benefit of separate calendars over categories is that you can set very granular sharing privileges for each calendar (private vs. invitation only vs. public, read vs. read/write). For example, you can set up a family calendar that everyone in your family has read/write access to, a personal home calender that family members have read access to, and a private work calendar that's only visible by you.
    didn't need a rehash of the against thread. It's not like I don't understand what they're trying to do. The problem lies in doing it cold turkey when the options they pose are far from perfect and don't meet everyone's needs, which is quite obvious by quite a few of the threads here. And in the grand scheme it's not about money. They understood the need for Classic, and sure enough they gave SDK access for it to be made in time for launch. Desktop syncing should've been the other solution completed by a 3rd party in time for launch. I think it's obvious they finally saw the need for this which is why you now have Chapura and Companionlink on board for it. The question is when will it be done? How are people supposed to manage their data in the meantime? There is no tweener solution except to live off of the Pre or wait to activate it until the solution is there.

This is just my opinion, but I think it was shortsighted on Palm's end to assume the cloud options were ready to meet the needs of everyone from day one, and that it is their job to have other options be they paid ones from a third party.

Transitioning to the cloud is definitely a good thing. But it should be just that, a transition. Not like it or lump it. I would've preferred to see:
    We understand not everyone is ready to make that shift to the cloud or just completely drop PalmOS so we've worked with some of our software partners to allow use of your current PalmOS programs through an emulator and also maintain the ability to local sync with your current favorite PIM. Both of these programs will be able to be purchased when the Pre is launched.
    You would've had some griping about paying for the programs since everyone feels entitled, but most of the current threads on this subject most likely wouldn't exist.

Seriously, I care a lot less about being able to run a few of my old favorite programs compared to how I'm going to manage all of my personal information. I'd have no problem migrating to google if it covered ALL of my PIM information, was as seamless as PD or Outlook and had offline editing capabilities. But it doesn't, and I don't have access and will not pay OOP any kind of reoccurring fee for an Exchange Server. That's just ludicrous to expect anyone to do that if they don't have access to one through work (that allows them access to it).

And if I have to hear the words "paradigm shift" one more time, I'm going to bust a cap in someone
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    well right now I have one entry screen for entering an appt. I choose the category from a drop down menu. Choose a contact it's associated with and the time frame. I have 2nd appt to enter I simply click on new and repeat, changing the category it belongs in. If it's that simple, that's cool. If I physically switch back and forth to different calendars to enter appts for different categories, that seems tedious and time consuming. If the interface to enter things for work, play, personal business and so on is involved then I'll stick with the old method. Sharing is of minimal use. Not a bad feature if you need it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I've been using gCal for a while. In practice the multiple calendars you end up using on gCal are functionally equivalent to categories on a Treo (in fact, that's how sync between gCal and Palm Desktop works using Companionlink: categories <--> separate calendars.). You can easily and rapidly choose to display any combination of your separate calendars on the display. They each have their own color so you can tell which calendar an entry is from. It looks a lot like the Pre's combined calendar display.

An added benefit of separate calendars over categories is that you can set very granular sharing privileges for each calendar (private vs. invitation only vs. public, read vs. read/write). For example, you can set up a family calendar that everyone in your family has read/write access to, a personal home calender that family members have read access to, and a private work calendar that's only visible by you.
    didn't need a rehash of the against thread. It's not like I don't understand what they're trying to do.
    Then why did you ask again? I take it you want someone to give you an answer that you like, instead of explaining possible reasons why.

Here's a suggestion, if you don't want to keep seeing the same old answers, quit asking the same old questions!

The problem lies in doing it cold turkey when the options they pose are far from perfect and don't meet everyone's needs, which is quite obvious by quite a few of the threads here. And in the grand scheme it's not about money. They understood the need for Classic, and sure enough they gave SDK access for it to be made in time for launch. Desktop syncing should've been the other solution completed by a 3rd party in time for launch. I think it's obvious they finally saw the need for this which is why you now have Chapura and Companionlink on board for it.
    You're assuming they didn't plan on this with Chapura from the beginning. You don't know, and Chapura isn't saying; however, they've been release partners since the Pre was announced.

As a matter of fact, many of the complaints that "it should have done this" look like they're going to be addressed at launch.

Folks are complaining about lack of capabilities/apps before the thing has even been released.

The question is when will it be done? How are people supposed to manage their data in the meantime? There is no tweener solution except to live off of the Pre or wait to activate it until the solution is there.
    As is the case with just about any new device, especially one that introduces a totally new operating system.

The answer is, be an early adopter (with the acommpanying issues - there's a reason they call it "bleeding edge"), or wait (and miss out on some of the fun). Simple.

This is just my opinion, but I think it was shortsighted on Palm's end to assume the cloud options were ready to meet the needs of everyone from day one, and that it is their job to have other options be they paid ones from a third party.

Transitioning to the cloud is definitely a good thing. But it should be just that, a transition. Not like it or lump it. I would've preferred to see:

And if I have to hear the words "paradigm shift" one more time, I'm going to bust a cap in someone
    Well, you don't "have to", you can just skip these kinds of messages (but I bet you want). Until then, I'll repeat myself:

If you don't want to keep seeing the same old answers, quit asking the same old questions!
    what was the question? Just give me my binky and blanky and let me be
    well right now I have one entry screen for entering an appt. I choose the category from a drop down menu. Choose a contact it's associated with and the time frame. I have 2nd appt to enter I simply click on new and repeat, changing the category it belongs in.
    That's how it works on gCal, too. Other than sharing, you don't need to think of them as separate in any way. You have a unified display, which can show any, all, or any combination of your categories (oops, calendars) in different colors.

New appointment? Drag on the display to select a time slot. In the resulting balloon that pops up, type in a description, and choose which category (oops calendar) you want that appointment to be in. Hit "edit event details" if you want to link to a contact, set repeats, etc.

Functionally, the separate calendars really do work just the same as categories. It's more semantics than anything else. In terms of your workflow, I'm hard pressed to see a difference.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234