Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    Although the concept of sync'g to the cloud and everything working beautifully is a nice thought... for large corporate business users, outlook exchange servers (the majority i would think) will not sync with your PRE. Either the exchange servers are on the intranet (so you cant use your pre to sync unless you get an IP on the corp LAN via wifi, or get a 3rd party PRE VPN client) or the exchange server will not allow anything but a blackberry or winmo device to sync directly to it.

In essence, many users are looking for a local sync because they have no other option, not because they wouldn't love to synch OTA in the "cloud". So "everyone is making a big deal" because many people dont have the same options as you do, due to the corporate configuration of their exchange servers. (and like i stated earlier, sync to google first would be against many corp security policies, so that route is out too).

sad face
    Odds are though, if this is the case, you would probably have a WM device or Blackberry for work. If it is against security policy to sync with google they most likely won't allow you to install sync software on your computer anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    Although the concept of sync'g to the cloud and everything working beautifully is a nice thought... for large corporate business users, outlook exchange servers (the majority i would think) will not sync with your PRE. Either the exchange servers are on the intranet (so you cant use your pre to sync unless you get an IP on the corp LAN via wifi, or get a 3rd party PRE VPN client) or the exchange server will not allow anything but a blackberry or winmo device to sync directly to it.

In essence, many users are looking for a local sync because they have no other option, not because they wouldn't love to synch OTA in the "cloud". So "everyone is making a big deal" because many people dont have the same options as you do, due to the corporate configuration of their exchange servers. (and like i stated earlier, sync to google first would be against many corp security policies, so that route is out too).

sad face
    I get your drift, and unfortunately I believe that people that are in this position (corporate user) should pass on the Pre.

Palm readily admits in the "Palm Pre Launch Guide, pg 11" that "The Palm Pre is best suited for non-IT Centric business users."

I dont consider the Pre a business phone. Its first and foremost a consumer phone. I understand using Outlook in the IT world. I think the home user is limiting their options and flexibility by using Outlook.. its an old and dated paradigm for PIM information.
    lots of large enterprises offer EAS for their employees. it's low cost plug and play with virtually no device level support required.
    I work for a large university and I get Exchange access anywhere. When I am on my laptop I don't need any VPN software, I just specify the server, the domain, and my login info. Same goes for my Windows Mobile phone. I have flashed so many ROMs to that thing I've gotten used to setting my Exchange back up. It's a great setup because every time I flash a ROM or hard reset, I just need to connect to my Exchange server and all my contacts and appointments and emails are back on my phone.

Having a copy of everything in my pocket is a savior for us ADHD types
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    On BusyMac.com it says it's $25. Spanning Sync is available for a $65 one-time purchase. A bit much but at least you can get $5 per referral. Also Spanning Sync does contacts which BusySync doesn't. If calendars is all you care about then that would be the better deal.
    It has been so long since I bought BusySync, so I apologize for the price mistake. Pretty sure I got a discount for it somewhere, though. Spanning sync does contacts as well, yes, but so does AddressBook.app directly. I've been trying out a relatively new app called Googaby for the sole purpose of getting my address book picture into my google contacts in preparation for the Pre. It also can push/pull pictures and groups from/to AddressBook.app and Google. Hideous backend UI though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I get your drift, and unfortunately I believe that people that are in this position (corporate user) should pass on the Pre.

Palm readily admits in the "Palm Pre Launch Guide, pg 11" that "The Palm Pre is best suited for non-IT Centric business users."

I dont consider the Pre a business phone. Its first and foremost a consumer phone. I understand using Outlook in the IT world. I think the home user is limiting their options and flexibility by using Outlook.. its an old and dated paradigm for PIM information.
    The launch guide you are referring to is a launch guide for business sales, not everybody sales. The correct way to interpret that is that you shouldn't sell the Pre to someone needing a business phone to use for a company with all sorts of tight protocols and security regarding their employee's devices.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    I agree with you! Everyone is making such a big deal about not having a desktop sync. I think everyone is just afraid of change! If you set it up right it will automatically sync to your outlook or whatever program you use without the need to hook it up to a pc. The changes are in real time.

I switched to google calendar with my G1 and have it automatically sync with outlook 2007 on my laptop, iCal on my mac, and outlook 2003 on my pc at work. Now if I had desktop sync, I would have to hook up the phone to each computer to sync and we all know how well trying to sync with 3 computers works.

I think that everyone that "thinks" they need desktop sync is overreacting.
    I beg to differ. Tell me how using Google Calendar is gonna sync my 18 bazillion important MEMOS that are sitting on my palm desktop?????????
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    once you go cloud you can't ever go back. right, herbie?
    Huh??? I never said anything like that.

Actually, there are instances where folks are going to need a desktop sync. There are other instances where a person will likely prefer something they control to something someone else controls on their server.

My only assertions that might be (mis)construed to as opposition to this would be that I don't feel it's something Palm should be expected to provide out of the box.

That's the old target audience. Back then, for those that wanted cloud syncrhonization, there were add on products that took care of that.

The new targe audience is the cloud crowd. For those that want something different, there will be add on products to take care of that.

Personally, I'm still hoping for a Joomla! module.
    Take a look at this from Micrsoft on how to sync Outlook and Google.

office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101674951033.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    It has been so long since I bought BusySync, so I apologize for the price mistake. Pretty sure I got a discount for it somewhere, though. Spanning sync does contacts as well, yes, but so does AddressBook.app directly. I've been trying out a relatively new app called Googaby for the sole purpose of getting my address book picture into my google contacts in preparation for the Pre. It also can push/pull pictures and groups from/to AddressBook.app and Google. Hideous backend UI though.
    You guys have to use other programs to sync iCal to gCal? Mine works fine with no added programs, the only issue i had was when i first set up my gCal I could not figure out how to get my apt. synced over to it, but after following the instructions on google i got it done fine, But it caused duplicates, so just deleated any duplicate that was on my iCal calenders only and left the ones that were synced to my gCals. now if i change something in my iCal google calender it will change on gCal and vice versa. no added programs, no extra cost. The only issue is if i want to make a new calender to sync with, I have to make it on google and then select it in iCal to add to my calender list.
    Last edited by djdisturbed; 05/26/2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yvyv View Post
    Has anybody figure out how to sync ICal from mac to google calendar ? I try a program called Colaboration but I just can get it to work properly.
    These instructions worked for me:

Google Calendar CalDAV support - Google Calendar Help

Mac OS 10.5.7, iCal version 3.0.7. Bear in mind I don't regularly use either iCal or Google calendar. I just tried this CalDAV setup as an experiment, created a single event, and it synced between iCal and Google just fine. I couldn't get a To Do to sync, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Address Book can do it only if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch. Not sure if the hack still works. Spanning Sync takes care of pics too.

Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    You guys have to use other programs to sync iCal to gCal? Mine works fine with no added programs, the only issue i had was when i first set up my gCal I could not figure out how to get my apt. synced over to it, but after following the instructions on google i got it done fine, But it caused duplicates, so just deleated any duplicate that was on my iCal calenders only and left the ones that were synced to my gCals. now if i change something in my iCal google calender it will change on gCal and vice versa. no added programs, no extra cost. The only issue is if i want to make a new calender to sync with, I have to make it on google and then select it in iCal to add to my calender list.
    Yeah that's the problem with CalDAV. You have to have all your calendars on Google first then sync back to iCal. And anytime you want to create new ones it has to be on Google.

The free options aren't that bad at all.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Address Book can do it only if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch. Not sure if the hack still works. Spanning Sync takes care of pics too.

Yeah that's the problem with CalDAV. You have to have all your calendars on Google first then sync back to iCal. And anytime you want to create new ones it has to be on Google.

The free options aren't that bad at all.
    Actually, there is an easy solution to the pre-existing calendar solution in iCal.

Create the calendar in Google and "drag and drop" your appointments in!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Actually, there is an easy solution to the pre-existing calendar solution in iCal.

Create the calendar in Google and "drag and drop" your appointments in!
    Actually, for pre-existing calendars you can just export from iCal and them import into Google. It really wouldn't be a problem for me to use CalDAV. The only real reason I like Spanning Sync is that it does contacts well. After I'm done with the demo I'm going to try Googaby and see how it does.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

On BusyMac.com it says it's $25. Spanning Sync is available for a $65 one-time purchase. A bit much but at least you can get $5 per referral. Also Spanning Sync does contacts which BusySync doesn't. If calendars is all you care about then that would be the better deal.
    Companies with security policies as such will probably be using Exchange servers anyway. That part is easy, it's personal data trapped in Outlook and the Palm Desktop that many are worried about.

I think I'm going to go with CompanionLink for Google. It syncs:

- Calender
    - Contacts
    - Tasks

No Notes/Memos sync, but I can live with that! Still waiting until launch though to see if Palm will have a solution out of the box...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Actually, for pre-existing calendars you can just export from iCal and them import into Google. It really wouldn't be a problem for me to use CalDAV. The only real reason I like Spanning Sync is that it does contacts well. After I'm done with the demo I'm going to try Googaby and see how it does.
    Why not use just Google Calendar via your desktop browser? The information is already there... why duplicate?
    Why not use just Google Calendar via your desktop browser? The information is already there... why duplicate?
    For times when you may not have an internet or phone connection but still want to access you calender on a desktop/laptop...basement, subway, etc.
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/26/2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    For times when you may not have an internet or phone connection but still want to access you calender on a desktop/laptop...basement, subway, etc.
    see Google Gears
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    I beg to differ. Tell me how using Google Calendar is gonna sync my 18 bazillion important MEMOS that are sitting on my palm desktop?????????
    Oh please... You are only disagreeing with me because you are a BYU fan and that is there main goal in life, to make Ute fans miserable! :P No, I see your point, I wasn't thinking about memos. I was only considering contacts and calendar since those seem to be the main ones (and the only ones I really care about, so they must be the only important ones right?). Maybe Palm thought that they would leave it to 3rd party developers to create sync software.
    see Google Gears
    I prefer iCal's interface and integration with Mac OS X. I'm only using Google as a middle man to get my contacts and calendars on the Pre.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast