Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    How do I sync my Treo 755P data or Outlook 2000 with Google Calendar?
    Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google

let us know how it goes. specifically, your Contacts data. can you let me know what happens to the "website" field in a Contact from Outlook/Palm Desktop when that Contact gets dumped to Google? also any other Contact field scrambles or disruptions? thanks.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Since you don't use google calendar, I'm assuming you don't have a gmail account. You can obviously get one, but just in case you didn't know, you can use a google calendar account with any email address- you don't have to have a gmail one.
    I like Google Calendar. Its easy to add appointments and within GMail depending on details of an email, Google Calendar can auto fill in the calendar appointment.

Also sends Popup (while using calendar), SMS or E-Mail alerts for reminders.

I've been syncing over the air with GooSync and its awesome.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i don't like Google calendar. i like a simple and clean interface - like Palm Desktop or Outlook. i don't like multiple pop ups, colors, data fields, and options thrown at me every time i just want to enter one simple basic appointment.
    Palm's Desktop and Outlook both use colors, pop-ups, and many options. Its actually easier to input a Google Calendar event because you can just type it in regular language and it parses it for you (Board Meeting at 6pm Thursday).

I dont see the big issue. Get a Google calendar, sync it with Outlook or Thunderbird, and then it will also be on your Pre. You'll have a desktop client and a wireless sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I would recommend two separate accounts.

One for your wife and one for you... that way you guys get your own email addresses.

You're able to give each other rights to create and edit events, which WILL work from the PRE, so you'll be just like having one account, but it let's you guys separate your calendars and create individual items as necessary.
    +1
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google

let us know how it goes. specifically, your Contacts data. can you let me know what happens to the "website" field in a Contact from Outlook/Palm Desktop when that Contact gets dumped to Google? also any other Contact field scrambles or disruptions? thanks.
    Also, how do multiple Google calendars show up in Outlook, or is this even possible? Do all of the appointments just show up the same, are they color coded, or is there some other way of differentiating? Thanks.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    All I want is a direct sync to Outlook bypassing the "cloud". Please!
    And all I want is a direct sync to Palm Desktop bypassing the "cloud" please!
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I would recommend two separate accounts.

One for your wife and one for you... that way you guys get your own email addresses.

You're able to give each other rights to create and edit events, which WILL work from the PRE, so you'll be just like having one account, but it let's you guys separate your calendars and create individual items as necessary.
    I think I get it. So if my wife has a calendar in HER google account and she choosed to share it with me, will MY pre pick it up, and vice versa?????
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Also, how do multiple Google calendars show up in Outlook, or is this even possible? Do all of the appointments just show up the same, are they color coded, or is there some other way of differentiating? Thanks.
    In Thunderbird, it syncs all of your different Google calendars as categories. So your Holiday calendar on Google will be a Holiday category in Thunderbird. Probably will be the same for Outlook, although I cant confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    At this time, there isnt a confirmed way to do this. But if you setup your Outlook/Thunderbird to sync with Google or EAS, you'll have a desktop calendar that syncs with your Pre (assuming you sync your Google to your Pre).
    I think I get it. So if my wife has a calendar in HER google account and she choosed to share it with me, will MY pre pick it up, and vice versa?????
    Yes. Any Google calendar shared by your wife will show up in YOUR Google calendar. And that will sync with your Pre.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yvyv View Post
    Has anybody figure out how to sync ICal from mac to google calendar ? I try a program called Colaboration but I just can get it to work properly.
    I just did a search within help at Google and it linked me to a program that worked well enough. I can add/delete things, change time-zones, and pick my calendar. It seems to have some issues with notifications, but I haven't had any major issues. I've actually found that adding from Gmail works out the best. When I get a flight itinerary from an airline Gmail puts a quick add button on the sidebar for me.

To the OP:
    Make two separate accounts like others have said but make multiple calendars. Like others noted it will get very clogged if you share everything. You don't need to know that your wife has a work meeting in the teleconference room at 11AM. Either make a single joint calendar or make multiple with different categories. I personally find a single joint calendar to be sufficient.
    I dont get the whole desktop calendar application. Why shoehorn yourself into a desktop specific calendar, whether its Outlook or Palm?

The advantages of Google's Calendar outweigh any advantages the other two could possibly have.

• It's free
    • Its platform agnostic... I can be on OSX, Linux or Windows and still have my calendar.
    • I dont have to be on "my" desktop or "my" laptop to access my calendar. My calendar is automatically synced to any computer that can access the internet when I log in.
    • I can subscribe to public calendars: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Schedule, US Holidays, Community Calendars etc etc and have them appear in my calendar.
    • I can easily see other people's calendar if they decide to share it with me or visa versa.

To me the question is: "Why Outlook or Palm Desktop?"
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yvyv View Post
    Has anybody figure out how to sync ICal from mac to google calendar ? I try a program called Colaboration but I just can get it to work properly.
    Try BusySync. It's what I use, and I love it. I looked long and hard- used Google's free method, tried Spanning Sync, but in the end, BusySync won. Spanning Sync is a subscription- and that's just silly. Busy Sync costs about $10 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Try BusySync. It's what I use, and I love it. I looked long and hard- used Google's free method, tried Spanning Sync, but in the end, BusySync won. Spanning Sync is a subscription- and that's just silly. Busy Sync costs about $10 or something.
    On BusyMac.com it says it's $25. Spanning Sync is available for a $65 one-time purchase. A bit much but at least you can get $5 per referral. Also Spanning Sync does contacts which BusySync doesn't. If calendars is all you care about then that would be the better deal.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    For those reviewing this thread on a "how to sync outlook to google to pre" just keep in mind that if you are talking corporate outlook use, that data for those meeting notices etc, will be considered confidential. Having your local outlook data (meeting notices, etc) sync'd to a publicly free GOOGLE calendar, might not pass your company's security policies. Wouldn't want to see your next post be "Anyone know where i can get a good job?"
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1616575
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I dont get the whole desktop calendar application. Why shoehorn yourself into a desktop specific calendar, whether its Outlook or Palm?

The advantages of Google's Calendar outweigh any advantages the other two could possibly have.

• It's free
    • Its platform agnostic... I can be on OSX, Linux or Windows and still have my calendar.
    • I dont have to be on "my" desktop or "my" laptop to access my calendar. My calendar is automatically synced to any computer that can access the internet when I log in.
    • I can subscribe to public calendars: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Schedule, US Holidays, Community Calendars etc etc and have them appear in my calendar.
    • I can easily see other people's calendar if they decide to share it with me or visa versa.

To me the question is: "Why Outlook or Palm Desktop?"
    I agree with you! Everyone is making such a big deal about not having a desktop sync. I think everyone is just afraid of change! If you set it up right it will automatically sync to your outlook or whatever program you use without the need to hook it up to a pc. The changes are in real time.

I switched to google calendar with my G1 and have it automatically sync with outlook 2007 on my laptop, iCal on my mac, and outlook 2003 on my pc at work. Now if I had desktop sync, I would have to hook up the phone to each computer to sync and we all know how well trying to sync with 3 computers works.

I think that everyone that "thinks" they need desktop sync is overreacting.
    once you go cloud you can't ever go back. right, herbie?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Although the concept of sync'g to the cloud and everything working beautifully is a nice thought... for large corporate business users, outlook exchange servers (the majority i would think) will not sync with your PRE. Either the exchange servers are on the intranet (so you cant use your pre to sync unless you get an IP on the corp LAN via wifi, or get a 3rd party PRE VPN client) or the exchange server will not allow anything but a blackberry or winmo device to sync directly to it.

In essence, many users are looking for a local sync because they have no other option, not because they wouldn't love to synch OTA in the "cloud". So "everyone is making a big deal" because many people dont have the same options as you do, due to the corporate configuration of their exchange servers. (and like i stated earlier, sync to google first would be against many corp security policies, so that route is out too).

sad face
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    [*]I can subscribe to public calendars: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Schedule
    Awesome, hadn't realized there was one of those.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast