Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. rmhale's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #1  
    Ok, I am not saying that MS Outlook is the begin all end all syncing method... but for me what I MUST have is the ability to sync all my MS Outlook data and also 'Notes'... Can the Pre do that? If not... does Palm utilize a Desktop program that will will all the data including 'Notes' like can be done with the Palm Desktop? If not the Pre will not be for me and that is sad but... But this is a critical factor for me rather than the 'WOW Factor'...

    Thanks
  2. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #2  
    Good question. I think it does so by activesync.
  3. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #3  
  4. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #4  
    The Pre does not sync with a standalone Outlook's Address Book.

    The Pre syncs with corporate Outlook email servers, aka Exchange aka EAS. So unless you have a corporate email address, not an ISP email address, Gmail, Hotmail etc. that you access via via Outlook, you will not be able to sync via Outlook.

    You can howeve find a way to sync your Outlook address book with Google and then sync your Pre to Google Contacts.
  5. #5  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $syncing$ $of$ $Notes$ $from$ $Outlook$ $to$ $Palm$ $Memos$, $as$ $with$ $Palm$ $OS$. $Outlook$ $Notes$ $don$'$t$ $sync$ $to$ $the$ &$quot$;$cloud$&$quot$; $do$ $they$?
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  6. #6  
    I suggest that anyone who need desktop sync wait until after the Pre is released and launch partners announce their solutions. I do believe that a number of companies will be making desktop sync software (for example, Mark/Space, the company that makes The Missing Sync, is a launch partner), but we simply won't know until the Pre is out the door.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I suggest that anyone who need desktop sync wait until after the Pre is released and launch partners announce their solutions. I do believe that a number of companies will be making desktop sync software (for example, Mark/Space, the company that makes The Missing Sync, is a launch partner), but we simply won't know until the Pre is out the door.
    As to Mark Space, a Director of Marketing and Public Relations at Sprint corporate told me "at launch third party solutions (e.g., Mark Space) would be pervasive"
  8. #8  
    Chapura will have an app that does direct sync via a cable for those Outlook users who don't have a true exchange account.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Chapura will have an app that does direct sync via a cable for those Outlook users who don't have a true exchange account.
    That's good to know. Next will that be out at time of launch or like how all things go we wait days or weeks for it?
  10. #10  
    Thanks Dieter! That's exactly what I would need.

    Speaking of that, I found an interesting KB article from them about their software for webOS: http://support.chapura.com/answers_m...keywords=webos
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Thanks Dieter! That's exactly what I would need.

    Speaking of that, I found an interesting KB article from them about their software for webOS: Chapura Knowledge Base and Support Library
    nice find. looks like WIFI Pre---->PC sync is coming.

    well, i'm already on the cloud, there's no turning back now.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Chapura will have an app that does direct sync via a cable for those Outlook users who don't have a true exchange account.
    Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but can't you pay for hosted Exchange service really cheaply? I have it through work but I've read about people letting you buy Exchange service for just this sort of thing.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Chapura will have an app that does direct sync via a cable for those Outlook users who don't have a true exchange account.
    Just what the Doctor ordered! Not surprising that Chapura would come through with something.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  14. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but can't you pay for hosted Exchange service really cheaply? I have it through work but I've read about people letting you buy Exchange service for just this sort of thing.
    Yep. You can get one user exchange account for about $5/month if you shop around- most places are $8 or $9/mo. If you look for a hosted Kerio Mailserver provider it also syncs with active sync and can use either Outlook on PCs or Entourage on the Mac. I use Kerio Mailserver to sync with Entourage on the Mac (my colleagues at work use Macs and PCs) and it works great for them too. You get instant push and syncing of mail, contacts, calendars, invites, notes.

    The hosted Kerio Mailserver provider we use is: inftekhosting.com but look around as there are a number of them. You can do one user or as many as you want and it takes only a few minutes to set up.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Chapura will have an app that does direct sync via a cable for those Outlook users who don't have a true exchange account.
    Okie Dokie.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  16. #16  
    Great news on both fronts!

    I might take a look at the exchange services online. I just might just stick with local syncing of my Outlook.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Chapura will have an app that does direct sync via a cable for those Outlook users who don't have a true exchange account.
    Great news!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but can't you pay for hosted Exchange service really cheaply? I have it through work but I've read about people letting you buy Exchange service for just this sort of thing.
    Yes, you can. When the Pre was first rumored and there will only be "cloud" syncing and after I calmed down, I started reading about "cloud" computing and Hosted Exchange servers. I now have my own domain and have access to a Hosted Exchange server thru Sherweb for $8.95 a month. This is just $3 more than I was paying for just a pop email account.
  19. frediev's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmhale View Post
    Ok, I am not saying that MS Outlook is the begin all end all syncing method... but for me what I MUST have is the ability to sync all my MS Outlook data and also 'Notes'... Can the Pre do that? If not... does Palm utilize a Desktop program that will will all the data including 'Notes' like can be done with the Palm Desktop? If not the Pre will not be for me and that is sad but... But this is a critical factor for me rather than the 'WOW Factor'...

    Thanks
    I'm in the same situation. One other feature is groups. I haven't heard anyone know if your contacts will transfer the way you have them grouped in Outlook.
  20. #20  
    You should try Dmailer Sync you can get it from Dmailer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions