Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    So I just read Palm Goon's update on the Contacts app. There's some interesting tidbits in there:

• If you delete a Google contact from the phone, it gets deleted from Google's servers as well.
    • Palm Goon think it syncs with All Contacts instead of My Contacts.
    • You cannot deleted a synced Facebook contact.

Those two are highly conflicting: a two-way sync with Google contacts is done over Google's licensed Exchange EAS technology, i.e. ActiveSync. And this sync is strictly limited to 'My Contacts'. Which as you can see, nullifies point # 2.

Anyway, since this guy is still testing from an emulator, I hope Palm has been reading these forums and they fix this issue. Here's some other contact issues I can think of:

• Ability to change the display name of a sync'ed contact, i.e. John Doe from Facebook be displayed as "Johnny".
    • Ability to deleted a Facebook contact; or sync selectively.
    • Ability to prevent a two way Google Contacts sync; limit to download only.
    • Sync selective contact items with Facebook; i.e. only list the cellphone number of a contact pulled from FB, and delete their work phone.
    • [Add Your Own Below...]
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    So I just read Palm Goon's update on the Contacts app. There's some interesting tidbits in there:

• If you delete a Google contact from the phone, it gets deleted from Google's servers as well.
    • Palm Goon think it syncs with All Contacts instead of My Contacts.
    • You cannot deleted a synced Facebook contact.

Those two are highly conflicting: a two-way sync with Google contacts is done over Google's licensed Exchange EAS technology, i.e. ActiveSync. And this sync is strictly limited to 'My Contacts'. Which as you can see, nullifies point # 2.

Anyway, since this guy is still testing from an emulator, I hope Palm has been reading these forums and they fix this issue. Here's some other contact issues I can think of:

• Ability to change the display name of a sync'ed contact, i.e. John Doe from Facebook be displayed as "Johnny".
    • Ability to deleted a Facebook contact; or sync selectively.
    • Ability to prevent a two way Google Contacts sync; limit to download only.
    • Sync selective contact items with Facebook; i.e. only list the cellphone number of a contact pulled from FB, and delete their work phone.
    • [Add Your Own Below...]
    If you have a contact... say "John Smith" in Facebook and a Google Contact named "Johnny Smith". You are able to tell webOS to use your Google contact as the "primary" contact. This is selectable for each individual contact.

As for the selective syncing, it will probably come but I'm confused as to why you would WANT to delete their information. The whole idea of synergy is to BRING INFORMATION SOURCES TOGETHER SEAMLESSLY without having to enter/delete data. You don't maintain their contact information in Facebook. Your friend does....

I think many people will need to pair down their address books anyway. It's Palm's way of helping you with cleaning up your life....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    If you have a contact... say "John Smith" in Facebook and a Google Contact named "Johnny Smith". You are able to tell webOS to use your Google contact as the "primary" contact. This is selectable for each individual contact.

As for the selective syncing, it will probably come but I'm confused as to why you would WANT to delete their information. The whole idea of synergy is to BRING INFORMATION SOURCES TOGETHER SEAMLESSLY without having to enter/delete data. You don't maintain their contact information in Facebook. Your friend does....

I think many people will need to pair down their address books anyway. It's Palm's way of helping you with cleaning up your life....
    I know a lot of people that have phony numbers put up on their facebook or numbers like (911) 555-5555 that I would like the ability to remove without removing them off my list
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I know a lot of people that have phony numbers put up on their facebook or numbers like (911) 555-5555 that I would like the ability to remove without removing them off my list
    Really? Why put up a phony number? That defeats the purpose, methinks. If they don't want their phone number displayed, just take it off! Facebook's made it pretty easy to control who sees it.
    Wow, this is really disappointing actually. There is basically no way to keep track of your specific contacts.
    I'm over the whole "let me filter Facebook!" debacle, I have a keyboard, it doesn't matter. It would be nice if I could only sync a certain group or choose the people, but it's not a dealbreaker, I'm still going to syngergize.

As for Gmail using "All Contacts"...I have a personal gmail account and a business account, so that was never really an issue for me.