1.    #1  
    Currently, I use the Seven.com software (which is branded as Sprint's Mobile Email Work app) for accessing my business email that is behind a firewall. It entails running a redirector on my Windows machine, and it allows me two-way access my Outlook calendar, email, and contacts from my Palm Centro.

Developer Seven hasn't announced whether they'll be supporting the Pre, nor has Sprint via Mobile Email Work. If need be, I'll run the Seven app within the Classic emulator, but I'd obviously prefer a native solution.

Any suggestions?
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Currently, I use the Seven.com software (which is branded as Sprint's Mobile Email Work app) for access my business email that is behind a firewall. It entails running a redirector on my Windows machine, and it allows me two-way access my Outlook calendar, email, and contacts from my Palm Centro.

Developer Seven hasn't announced whether they'll be supporting the Pre, nor has Sprint via Mobile Email Work. If need be, I'll run the Seven app within the Classis emulator, but I'd obviously prefer a native solution.

Any suggestions?
    what mail server is your employer using? perhaps you could use Exchange Active Sync (EAS)? that would sure be better than that awful redirect kludge crap you're doing now.
  3.    #3  
    My understanding is that they are running Exchange 2003, but without VPN, no access to your account.
    you may be able to do it with your Centro already. IT may just need to download and activate EAS if it has not been already. not sure if VPN is necessary - that's a different animal.

info you'll need -

ActiveSync Info

1. Server Address – ex. mail.xyz.com
    2. Network Username/Password
    3. Domain Name
    4. Port Number

-----

Exchange ActiveSync: Frequently Asked Questions

Published: December 1, 2004 | Updated: August 2, 2006

Exchange ActiveSync® in Microsoft® Exchange Server 2003 lets devices such as a browser-enabled cellular telephone or a Microsoft Windows Mobile® powered device access corporate information on a server that is running Exchange 2003. Exchange ActiveSync is a data synchronization service that enables mobile users to access their e-mail, calendar, and contacts and retain access to this information while they are offline.

Exchange ActiveSync: Frequently Asked Questions
  5.    #5  
    I wish it was that simple. iPhone users can't even access their EAS accounts without VPN now.
    tell the IT guys to drop the donuts and get on the project!
    I may sound dumb but what are you referring to when u say eas and vpn...thanks
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    The port for EAS isn't accessible without being on the corporate network, so a VPN tunnel must be up & running on the handheld (until they figure out some other form of secure access).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    tell the IT guys to drop the donuts and get on the project!
    You are so out of the loop. IT guys eat Hostess Twinkies, not doughnuts.

Well, OK, unless they're free...
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    • EAS - Exchange ActiveSync: It's a protocol/client application combo that allows mobile devices to syncronize data with server (different versions allow other functions as well, but that's basic enough).
    • VPN - Virtual Private Network : A system including a service and client that allows a device to appear as if it's on a local area network (LAN) remote from the client. In the use you see it here, this allows devices connect to Exchange systems that don't have EAS avaialable on the public network.