Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    OK, so I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Outlook Web Access info to work with the Pre. I know it supports Exchange but I haven't seen anything that confirms OWA. Anyone seen anything that I may have missed?

Thanks!

HoKap
    Quote Originally Posted by hokap View Post
    OK, so I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Outlook Web Access info to work with the Pre. I know it supports Exchange but I haven't seen anything that confirms OWA. Anyone seen anything that I may have missed?

Thanks!

HoKap
    Believe it or not I've actually been able to get in OWA on my old Treo 680. It's not the best experience because of the way it handles frames and there's some tricks to it but in an emergency it will work.

So I'd say hell yeah to the Pre being able to do this. If you have anyone with an iPhone try it I would guess the experience would be similar since both browsers are based on WebKit.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    If it supports ActiveSync, doesn't that mean it supports OWA?
    No, those are two different things.

ActiveSync is a data synchronization program developed by Microsoft for use with Windows OS i.e. you connect a data cable to your PC and the device. It syncs using the ActiveSync program running on Windows much like Chapura.

OWA is a webmail service that uses XmlHttpRequest which is now a part of Ajax i.e. like Yahoo mail.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Not 100% sure...I was reading the info about the security policies...With Win Mobile (Treo Pro) after you logged in through OWA Win Mobile/Exchange required you to input a password for the phone. I'm pretty sure it was a rule from the Exchange side but guess I'll just need to find out before I buy the phone...doubt it'll matter though!
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

ActiveSync is a data synchronization program developed by Microsoft for use with Windows OS i.e. you connect a data cable to your PC and the device. It syncs using the ActiveSync program running on Windows much like Chapura.

OWA is a webmail service that uses XmlHttpRequest which is now a part of Ajax i.e. like Yahoo mail.
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. ActiveSync also allows you to sync Microsoft Exchange accounts over the air with Outlook, including Pocket Outlook in a Windows Mobile phone.
    You may be able to get the "light" version of OWA with the webkit browser if webmail is what you are after. Otherwise, it looks like the Pre supports Exchange ActiveSync for email, contacts, and calendar syncing over the air.
    -Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. ActiveSync also allows you to sync Microsoft Exchange accounts over the air with Outlook, including Pocket Outlook in a Windows Mobile phone.
    I was just giving an example, not sure why it matters what medium you use to sync. HotSync allowed cable and wireless too but it's still a program running on a Windows OS that has nothing to do with the Web.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks for the distinction between ActiveSync and OWA. I use a Mac and use ActiveSync with Kerio Mailserver which is like Exchange. Anyone heard if it will work with the Pre?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Yes, OWA is supported......
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    I was just giving an example, not sure why it matters what medium you use to sync. HotSync allowed cable and wireless too but it's still a program running on a Windows OS that has nothing to do with the Web.
    ActiveSync and OWA are both services of Microsoft Exchange. There is a HotSync-like desktop app also called ActiveSync, which is where you're getting confused, but that's completely separate. "Server ActiveSync" (to make up a term) is a protocol the phone uses to sync directly with the Exchange server, no intermediate desktop software required. This is what people mean when they talk about a phone supporting ActiveSync, not the desktop software.

As for supporting OWA, it depends on what you mean. If you mean using the web interface through the Pre's browser, it will probably work. If you really meant server ActiveSync, yes, it's supported. I know old Blackberries used to be able to get Exchange mail by hackily connecting through OWA behind the scenes (and always screwing up the Read flag in the process) but that's not necessary anymore since server ActiveSync is the proper way to do it.

I think that's too narrow a description. Yes, it's a data synchornization program, but it does not require a cable. What you are describing is Desktop ActiveSync. The Pre will have Active Sync Exchange, a licensed protocol from Microsoft to enable over the air push messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Thanks for the distinction between ActiveSync and OWA. I use a Mac and use ActiveSync with Kerio Mailserver which is like Exchange. Anyone heard if it will work with the Pre?
    That's a good question. My guess is that if it doesn't immediately, it would with a very small amount of tweaking. But it's just a guess.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    ActiveSync and OWA are both services of Microsoft Exchange. There is a HotSync-like desktop app also called ActiveSync, which is where you're getting confused, but that's completely separate. "Server ActiveSync" (to make up a term) is a protocol the phone uses to sync directly with the Exchange server, no intermediate desktop software required. This is what people mean when they talk about a phone supporting ActiveSync, not the desktop software.

As for supporting OWA, it depends on what you mean. If you mean using the web interface through the Pre's browser, it will probably work. If you really meant server ActiveSync, yes, it's supported. I know old Blackberries used to be able to get Exchange mail by hackily connecting through OWA behind the scenes (and always screwing up the Read flag in the process) but that's not necessary anymore since server ActiveSync is the proper way to do it.
    That's exactly what I was hoping Greg. As I read the info I assumed it was similar to the way the Instinct worked. In that setup it was my OWA login info to setup but of course worked through Exchange ActiveSync on the server side (I'm guessing). Anyway, that sounds like the info I needed.

Synergy here I come!!!
    The active sync you use to get your email is properly called EAS: Enterprise Active Sync. It's completely different than the desktop sync method. Not only does the Pre support it, it is claimed to support muliple EAS accounts, which is something VersaMail on the Treo would never do.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Yeah I thought he was referring to ActiveSync as in Windows Mobile Device Center (it's new name), EAS would be something different but is widely supported as other people have mentioned..
    I just got the Pre. The Palm website says it supports OWA, but our system is set up with OWA and I can't get it to work. I spent 7.5 hours yesterday on the phone or at the Sprint store trying to get it to work. I'm so far into the support system that I'm no longer talking to people in other countries for support.

Engineers are looking at it and I hope to know something soon.
    OWA works fine for me. It looks like OWA on Safari on a Mac -- not the much richer, nicer OWA on IE on a PC.

I am one of the thousands of people for which EAS, however, does not work.
    Works for me on Exchange 2003 and I even have it setup with certificates, which the Pre handled without any problems.
    We have MS Small Business Server 2008 / Exchange 2007, with a self signed SSL certificate. I am using EAS and have also confirmed that OWA does work on my Pre -- although the Pre seems to automatically use the "Web Access Light" version.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast