1.    #1  
    my setup will probably look like this -

1. Work Email = Work Exchange Server via MSFT EAS OTA.
    2. Contacts and Calendar = Palm Desktop via Gmail via CompanionLink for Google.
    3. Memos = None (since no OTA or Local sync appears to be available).
    4. Excel/Word Docs = Drag and Drop Entire Local Folder via USB Cable via Windows Briefcase Update Function to Pre's 8GB storage and view via DocsToGo on Pre.
    5. Personal Email = Comcast (ISP) or Gmail - not sure yet. i'm on Comcast now (my ISP) but would move to Gmail in a heartbeat if they offer free PUSH OTA for all Pre owners a la iphone/Yahoo.

part of me is tempted to go 100% MSFT EAS OTA to Work Exchange Server for Contacts/Calendar/Email but not sure if i want my Employer to have all my data. also, not sure if i want to have to log into my corporate server every time i want to access my data via the desktop.

what are your thoughts/suggestions on all of this? i need some configuration ideas since we are dealing with a new paradigm here whether we like it or not. what will your setup probably look like???
  2.    #2  
    come on herbie! you're the cloud boy. what's your setup?
    If you don't want to put all your info on your corporate servers, I would go the hosted exchange route.
    Comcast doesn't have IMAP, so I'm not sure why they'd even be a choice for cloud email. Best you're going to get is forwarding all your Comcast email to a gmail account, and then using that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Comcast doesn't have IMAP, so I'm not sure why they'd even be a choice for cloud email. Best you're going to get is forwarding all your Comcast email to a gmail account, and then using that.
    no the comcast option would be just to continue to use POP.

question - is it possible to configure IMAP as a true PUSH? i tried on my centro via Gmail Idle IMAP and it would not PUSH.
  6.    #6  
    come on - nobody has thought about this yet and is willing to post it?
    Gekko,

Ok, I'll bite:
    1. Work Email = Work Exchange Server via MSFT EAS OTA.
    2. Contacts and Calendar = 1) Google (mine and my wife's so we can coordinate) 2) EAS for work appointments
    3. Memos = local
    4. Excel/Word Docs = Drag and Drop for frequently accessed, and ORB for occasional access
    5. Personal Email = Gmail
    6. Entertainment = initially local, but 8GB won't be that hard to fill on the Pre, so I'll be using Orb for streaming music and video (if possible)

Help me understand something. What is the difference between G-mail's IMAP and "True Push." I used Chatteremail on my 700p which utilized IMAP/IDLE and the moment I received any mail in my Gmail account it would show up on my phone too. In fact, there were at least a couple of occasions where I was looking at my gmail inbox on a computer and my phone notified me of new mail a few moments before it even appeared on the computer itself. I have no doubt the Pre's email will work the same way (as the Developer was hired by and the program bought out by Palm). What would be different with "True Push?"

I know on my WM Treo Pro it only checks Gmail periodically, but that shouldn't be the case with the Pre.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    come on herbie! you're the cloud boy. what's your setup?
    Sorry guy, took my wife to a movie and dinner last night. Sheesh, some of you guys really need to get a life outside of the geek toys.

Besides, everyone around me kept telling me to turn of my Treo at the show...

Anyway, I set up Exchange on one of my servers at home. I'm going to experiment with that for a couple of weeks. In the mean time, I'm really hoping to see some broader options.

My IDEAL solution would be a drop in module for a Joomla server. This would give the intermediate to advanced user some pretty broad flexibility.

So, short answer is Exchange initially, and wait-and-see beyond that.
    come on - nobody has thought about this yet and is willing to post it?
    Work email via EAS.
    All other email via gmail.

Calendars: I have between my wife, friends, and me, 6 google calendars all shared. It should show up seamlessly with color codes on the Pre.

Contacts: I use google contacts already and then google sync the contacts to my win-mo phone. I see no need to change. I will try out importing facebook contacts, but I don't particularly want a mile long contact list.

I await the day I'll have a google docs application, as I use those quite a bit, too.
  10.    #10  
    RizP -

1. tell me about ORB - it can do Excel/Word docs OTA???

2. Gmail IMAP Push - i still can't get a straight answer on this. ive tried Gmail IMAP with both Versamail and Snappermail on my Centro and neither does Push. this IMAP Idle Push is mythical and i can't get a straight answer from anyone on how IMAP Idle Push is supposed to work.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry guy, took my wife to a movie and dinner last night. Sheesh, some of you guys really need to get a life outside of the geek toys.

Besides, everyone around me kept telling me to turn of my Treo at the show...

Anyway, I set up Exchange on one of my servers at home. I'm going to experiment with that for a couple of weeks. In the mean time, I'm really hoping to see some broader options.

My IDEAL solution would be a drop in module for a Joomla server. This would give the intermediate to advanced user some pretty broad flexibility.

So, short answer is Exchange initially, and wait-and-see beyond that.
    Herbie - i can't go out drinking and chasing women EVERY night now can i? it starts to take a toll on the body after a while - not to mention it gets expensive.
    RizP -

2. Gmail IMAP Push - i still can't get a straight answer on this. ive tried Gmail IMAP with both Versamail and Snappermail on my Centro and neither does Push. this IMAP Idle Push is mythical and i can't get a straight answer from anyone on how IMAP Idle Push is supposed to work.
    Gekko,

1. MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software. It's a free service that installs a small program on your "always on" home computer. Then you use the web to access the content of your home computer from other computers or smartphones. I started using it with my 700p and Kinoma. It's streaming, so you don't need a ton of storage on the device itself. I've watched a couple feature length movies streamed to my 700p through orb, and it worked very well. It's password protected, and you specify which folders orb is allowed to access. It also lets you download files from your home computer, so for occasional need documents, I'll leave them on my PC and access them from orb.

2. Chatteremail works differently than versamail (crappy) and Snapper (not bad, but didn't real-time sync like Chatteremail. If you dig through the old Palm forums about e-mail programs, most people agreed Chatter was the best, because of the All inbox view (just like the Pre) and the Imap/IDLE realtime sync. When I first saw the Pre email app at CES, I thought (and I think I twittered it) This looks EXACTLY like Chatter, which would make sense, given they hired the guy.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    This is what i did for years or since gmail was around. I've dropped using comcast altogether since a year ago and just use gmail.
    RizP -

How does gmail handle push on the G1/Android?

I imagine it will be similar.

Regardless, I think it's a bit silly to push personal email-- I tend to check mine in batches as I have the time. I don't need a notification going off every two minutes (personal preference).
    I'd recommend against using a pop server, because with pop, once you download the message it's no longer on the server. So if you get mail on your pre, you have no way to see that message on your computer and vise versa.

I'll be using google services for everything personal, and Exchange for everything work related.

Hopefully Palm gets memo's and task lists syncing to some web services fairly quickly. Thats the only problem I see right now. If I'm at a computer, I'd much rather type the memo/task list on a real keyboard.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    I'd recommend against using a pop server, because with pop, once you download the message it's no longer on the server. So if you get mail on your pre, you have no way to see that message on your computer and vise versa.

I'll be using google services for everything personal, and Exchange for everything work related.

Hopefully Palm gets memo's and task lists syncing to some web services fairly quickly. Thats the only problem I see right now. If I'm at a computer, I'd much rather type the memo/task list on a real keyboard.
    1. false. you can set the POP clients to "leave mail on server after download" if you'd like.

2. you might see task sync, but i doubt you'll ever get Gmails memos OR any kind of other memo sync.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Gekko,

1. MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software. It's a free service that installs a small program on your "always on" home computer. Then you use the web to access the content of your home computer from other computers or smartphones. I started using it with my 700p and Kinoma. It's streaming, so you don't need a ton of storage on the device itself. I've watched a couple feature length movies streamed to my 700p through orb, and it worked very well. It's password protected, and you specify which folders orb is allowed to access. It also lets you download files from your home computer, so for occasional need documents, I'll leave them on my PC and access them from orb.

2. Chatteremail works differently than versamail (crappy) and Snapper (not bad, but didn't real-time sync like Chatteremail. If you dig through the old Palm forums about e-mail programs, most people agreed Chatter was the best, because of the All inbox view (just like the Pre) and the Imap/IDLE realtime sync. When I first saw the Pre email app at CES, I thought (and I think I twittered it) This looks EXACTLY like Chatter, which would make sense, given they hired the guy.

1. i use a company laptop and i have no desire to leave it on 24/7 so that rules out ORB. i would love to have some kind of cloud solution for Excel/Word Docs - maybe DTG or MSFT (Mesh?) or Palm themselves will come up with a solution?

2. i know lots of people loved it, but i DESPISED Chatteremail. i felt it was buggy and unintuitive. the way it handled the trash drove me crazy. i hope Palm's email app is much more elegant in its implementation.

QUESTION - so we will have TRUE PUSH with the PRE via GMAIL IMAP4 IDLE?????????????????
  18.    #18  
    i'm relatively tech savvy, but i'm no IT guy. BUT is it just me or is IMAP on the desktop (ex Outlook Express) confusing as hell? i don't understand the schema of all of the folders and what seems to be the lack of the ability to truly delete email. when i delete, it simply strikes a line through the email? WTF? why can't it just go right into the trash. and why do i need to see all the folders - ie spam folders etc. it just does not seem as straightforward as POP email.

what am i missing?

for those using Gmail with an email App - are you using POP or IMAP?