Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #1  
    For those of you old enough to remember, Chapura makes a desktop syncing solution called PocketMirror for the PalmOS Treos and PDA's. They were listed as a partner as CES but we haven't heard anything from them yet....

    For those of you concerned about being forced to the "cloud", I would rest easy knowing that you will have a third-party solution for desktop syncing at launch... AND THAT IS MY EDUCATED OPINION (it in no way implies a fact).

    Now, Chapura may have been the ones who helped implement Palm Synergy but I think we're going to see a desktop sync as well. Personally, I think the cloud is a much better method but it might not work for some. Especially doctors who have to worry about patient confidentiality and compliance issues.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  2. #2  
    I have chapura pro which worked well at the time for my Treo. I wouldn't mind seeing their version for the Pre.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    For those of you old enough to remember, Chapura makes a desktop syncing solution called PocketMirror for the PalmOS Treos and PDA's. They were listed as a partner as CES but we haven't heard anything from them yet....

    For those of you concerned about being forced to the "cloud", I would rest easy knowing that you will have a third-party solution for desktop syncing at launch... AND THAT IS MY EDUCATED OPINION (it in no way implies a fact).

    Now, Chapura may have been the ones who helped implement Palm Synergy but I think we're going to see a desktop sync as well. Personally, I think the cloud is a much better method but it might not work for some. Especially doctors who have to worry about patient confidentiality and compliance issues.
    Oh, come on, I'm not that old, am I? I remember when PocketMirror came with my Palm.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Oh, come on, I'm not that old, am I? I remember when PocketMirror came with my Palm.
    Ten years ago my friend... ten years... At least that's when I bought my Palm III.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  5. #5  
    I use Chapura Keysuite as my PIM software on my Centro. It duplicates the fields in Outlook on you PalmOS device and can keep multiple Outlook instances perfectly in Sync, no exchange required. This is not possible with the built in PalmOS PIM software.
  6. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I use Chapura Keysuite as my PIM software on my Centro. It duplicates the fields in Outlook on you PalmOS device and can keep multiple Outlook instances perfectly in Sync, no exchange required. This is not possible with the built in PalmOS PIM software.
    I couldn’t of gotten by without Keysuite! The conflict resolution alone was worth the price of admission.

    I was hurtin when I switched over to Winmo at first until I purchased Nokia’s Intellsync. It had better sync and conflict resolution than Keysuite I think. Intellesyn is the same stuff that my current BB Bold uses. I was surprised to see that RIM used the Nokia software. I guess RIM might have purchased it from Nokia because Nokia doesn’t sell it anymore.

    Joe
  7. #7  
    Oh dear, Chapura... an IT admin's worst nightmare. I had more problems in my domain with PocketMirror than you can shake a stick at. What a PITA. Palm Desktop was a blessing compared to PocketMirror .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  8. Miner's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #8  
    My office still has a few versions of Pocket Mirror Pro floating around, and I still use it to sync an old M515 with Outlook. It's the only way to get your Outlook contacts, stored in different Outlook folders, into like-named categories on the device.

    In fact, I still use DateBk4 (or it it 5 of whatever?) on that M515.
  9. #9  
    Using it now on my laptop to sync Outlook & my Centro.
    But not one thing from them about direct sync between Outlook/laptop & the Pre.
    This leads me to believe it won't be there on June 6th but I hope later.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 05/21/2009 at 10:34 PM.
  10. #10  
    I decided to just get it straight from the horse's mouth:

    From: Herb Parsons
    Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:12 PM
    To: Chapura Support
    Subject: Palm Pre Desktop Sync

    Do you folks have any plans to provide a desktop sync solution between a Palm Pre and a Desktop PIM? If so, what desktop PIMs, and what OSs?


    Hi Herb,

    We very excited about the new Palm Pre and the webOS and are thrilled to be release partners with Palm for this device. At this time, I am not able to comment further.

    Thank you for taking the time to contact us and I will respond to your email when I am able to say more.

    Thank you,

    Michelle

    Chapura Support


    I'm not much of a gambler, but I think I'd put money down on that one...
  11. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I decided to just get it straight from the horse's mouth:

    From: Herb Parsons
    Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:12 PM
    To: Chapura Support
    Subject: Palm Pre Desktop Sync

    Do you folks have any plans to provide a desktop sync solution between a Palm Pre and a Desktop PIM? If so, what desktop PIMs, and what OSs?


    Hi Herb,

    We very excited about the new Palm Pre and the webOS and are thrilled to be release partners with Palm for this device. At this time, I am not able to comment further.

    Thank you for taking the time to contact us and I will respond to your email when I am able to say more.

    Thank you,

    Michelle

    Chapura Support


    I'm not much of a gambler, but I think I'd put money down on that one...
    Just what I thought! Thanks for the confirmation!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  12. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #12  
    I submitted this as a News Tip. I think hparsons just confirmed (rumor ;o)) a desktop solution is on it's way for launch!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  13. #13  
    I hope you guys are right on this. That would be great.

    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  14. #14  
    Great news, yet again it is a mystery why Palm is mute on this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Great news, yet again it is a mystery why Palm is mute on this.

    I could not agree more. This is the ONE last bit of info I need to know. If I can sync, I buy the Pre. If I can't, I don't.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Great news, yet again it is a mystery why Palm is mute on this.
    There actually may be a number of reasons for this.

    There should be little doubt that Palm is pushing "the cloud" concept. Obviously, it's not going to be optimal for everyone, but that is what they are pushing.

    To be successful with that "push", they have to get "cloud providers" on board, possibly even third part developers to work on the pieces between the Pre and cloud based systems.

    So, imagine this totally theoretical, imaginary, discussion:

    • Joe Blow, NewSoftCloud CEO: Hey Dan, Joe Blow here over at NewSoftCloud
    • Dan with Palm: Hey Joe, wazzup?
    • Joe: Well, not much, except my blood pressure
    • Dan: I don't follow Joe
    • Joe: Well, you told me that "The Cloud" was going to be the new hot paradigm, and was what you guys were concentrating on with your new toy.
    • Dan: Yep, and we're very excited about it.
    • Joe: Really ... then what was all this talk about providing a desktop sync program - one that syncs with a desktop PIM that you indicated was going away
    • Dan: Well we're not the ones releasing those, it's another company. We're done with that - we're flying in the cloud now.
    • Joe: Uhhuh.... but you're the one that announced it for crying out loud
    • Dan: Well yeah, we had to. There were these guys on the blogs and forums that were getting upset, we had to do something. I mean, gads there 5, maybe even 6 of them, and they were upset.
    • Joe: Dan ... you didn't announce my product
    • Dan: Oh ... um ... well, that was an oversight. But hey, "the lcoud" is going to be big, you watch, just two more weeks...
    • Joe: Dan ... we're not going to make it two weeks. My financiers saw your announcement, and pulled my funding ...
    • Dan: Really? Wow, sorry about that. But really, this cloud thing is going to catch on ... soon ... I think. Eventually, folks will begin to see the light and give up the PIM and their sync cables. Most of 'em gave up their modems, we're sure they'll give this up too.
    • Joe: Dan ... it's too late. We're outta bidness. As a matter of fact, I was calling about programming jobs, you got any openings for cloud programmers
    • Dan: Dang, sorry Joe, not really. As a matter of fact, it's beginning to look like we may be cutting back ...


    My point is that Palm can't go a new direction by keeping their feet on the old platform. It just doesn't work that way.

    Here's my guess though. It's just a guess, but not totally uneducated - I've seen Palm software developments for a long time now.

    I suspect that "someone else" is going to own the old Palm PIM. They are going to continue to develop it, and either offer it for sale or offer licensing for connectors for it to other software developers.

    This would leave Palm free to develop in the cloud paradigm.

    And, I also suspect, that the "someone else" wasn't allowed to talk about that, until the device is actually out.

Posting Permissions