1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Im not sure if this has been discussed or not, atleast this specific aspect of it..

I was sending out some emails out on my blackberry and at this time I received a "pushed" email from my newly created gmail account made specifically for my new pre.

I know it works just fine because it works on my blackberry...

I started to think about the open cards and then closing them. I was thinking, my BB gets emails pushed to it and the email program is closed... but then I realized that the BB always has its "core" applications (including email) running in the background...

Lets say I'm running my new pre, and just like I like my desktop most of the time, its clutter free and nothings running...

If I get a "pushed" email, will I get a notification... Or does the email application have to be "running" even as a card...

it would be great if I could still get a notification even if the mail app wasn't necessarily running... maybe like a hidden process or something.

Anybody know if this is confirmed, any news on this at all..
    Not sure if we've discussed this before or not?

Thanks for the input.
    All I want to know for sure is if Gmail's IMAP Idle will be supported out of the box as "push email"
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I think, note that I'm not sure, that you would get a notification even if the app was closed. Thats the whole idea of the notification bar or whatever its called.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    All I want to know for sure is if Gmail's IMAP Idle will be supported out of the box as "push email"
    I've done some looking, but maybe you could explain what the IMAP idle is. I know pre supports it but could you explain it...

Sorry for the stupidity!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    IMAP IDLE is supported.....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    IMAP IDLE is supported.....
    but what is it....... I need a stupid-mans explanation... is it just like push... like RIM has... or what?
    imap idle is supported for gmail, and if you watch demos, they get emails even when the email card isn't open. hth
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    but what is it....... I need a stupid-mans explanation... is it just like push... like RIM has... or what?
    imap idle=push
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    imap idle=push
    To an extent. It's still very different from the Blackberry "Push" though. Same general concept though. You'll get messages immediately, but it's not as power hungry as constantly polling the server, but it won't be NEARLY as battery efficient as a Blackberry.

Palm has said they are developing their own PUSH type notification servers, so we'll see how that goes...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    To an extent. It's still very different from the Blackberry "Push" though. Same general concept though. You'll get messages immediately, but it's not as power hungry as constantly polling the server, but it won't be NEARLY as battery efficient as a Blackberry.

Palm has said they are developing their own PUSH type notification servers, so we'll see how that goes...
    he wanted it put simplely...its basically like that...minus the blackberry servers. and its at least pretty close as efficient. it doesn't requiring reaching out to gmail...gmail notifies the phone only when it has a message
    the difference between this i would say is the individual servers need to support imap idle (as opposed to just imap) to have a push like experience...gmail will. where as blackberry can push anything because it runs through their servers
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Not like RIM has. RIM uses it's own tech to do push e-mail.

IMAP idle allows an IMAP server to notify an IMAP idle client that there is new mail. Instead of the client polling the server every X amount of time, the server tells the client when to pull new mail down.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13.    #13  
    I guess either way, I wont have to poll a damn server... I get my mail when it arrives I guess...

Thats what I want...

Thanks guys!

PRE FTW!