Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 109 of 109
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Most people still don't know what Bluetooth is.

    Just a random response.
    Sure they do, it's an earpiece that makes them look cool.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. Windows. 95% of the free world. F the other 5%. let MarkSpace or third party deal with the other 5%.
    2. Outlook. 95% of the free world. F the other 5%. third party can fill in the gap.
    3. Minimal. but the question is - what is the cost NOT to support it? can they afford NOT to offer local sync?
    4. Cloud is great in theory but the world is not there yet. the Cloud is still in Beta.
    1. Windows OS market share is 88% and in steady decline. OS market share

    2. Outlook market share is 36%. Email Client Statistics - Fingerprint

    So I guess you meant to say F the other 12%, and F the other 64%, respectively.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by hamkins View Post
    1. Windows OS market share is 88% and in steady decline. OS market share

    2. Outlook market share is 36%. Email Client Statistics - Fingerprint

    So I guess you meant to say F the other 12%, and F the other 64%, respectively.
    I have to say, I didn't realize those were the numbers. The Windows number I knew roughly (and that was what I was talking about when I said his numbers were "off considerably"); however, I really didn't realize that Outook was at that low a percentage. It definitely puts Palm's move in a different light.

    However, even that doesn't tell the whole story. That 36% is of business users. You can bet that a good number of them are on Exchange servers that can be accessed by the Pre. The Consumer survey showed 29%, but the real story behind that survey is that in both cases, more than 50% used "cloud based" email clients.

    I believe Palm is moving the right direction on this.
  4. #104  
    the solution will be this - a third party like Dataviz, Companionlink, Chapura, etc. will offer local synchronization software to MS Outlook and maybe Palm Desktop. so those that want to local sync their Pre to their local desktop PIM application can do so by paying for it. Palm has no costs because they are not officially supporting it, Palm customers that don't want it don't pay for it, and those that want it can just buy it. this way everyone is happy. i say Outlook and MAYBE Palm Desktop because i believe that Palm Desktop will not continue to be developed beyond its current iteration and thus may not be supported by third party local sync software for very long. hence, local sync fans should get comfortable with Outlook.
  5.    #105  
    I wouldn't be surprised to see someon (Chapura maybe?) pick up the Palm desktop PIM. They've already written conduits for it, and that will give something for the diehards to use if they don't like Outlook and have nothing else.
  6. #106  
    ok herbie, you SOB, you win. i just got done.

    1. did a final "frozen in time" backup of all PIM data pdb and prc files and misc files onto flash drive.
    2. set up continuous PIM (Contacts and Calendar) and Email EAS sync between Centro and work Outlook EAS - moved all PIM data to EAS work server.
    3. deleted all PIM data AND Palm Desktop App and shortcuts from Laptop.
    4. folded up USB hotsync cord and put it back in Centro box.
    5. still doing an auto 2am daily backup to microSD card via BBVFS - two rotated cards.
    6. i'm all ready for my new PRE - it will be an easy PIM transfer via EAS. i'll drag and drop my entire Laptop's "Local Folder" to Pre's 8GB storage via USB via Briefcase sync for all of my misc docs and files.
    7. will give sister my old Centro and all accessories.

    i'm officially "on the cloud".
  7.    #107  
    See, that wasn't so hard now, was it?

    If it's any consolation, I just got through porting all of my contact information from GroupWise to the Exchange server.
  8.    #108  
    See, that wasn't so hard now, was it?

    If it's any consolation, I just got through porting all of my contact information from GroupWise to the Exchange server.
  9. #109  
    now watch, tomorrow morning Ruby will announce Palm Desktop local sync support.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions