Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 109
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Have you by chance told your IT Dept that you're syncing your phone to outlook? As a IT Administrator at my business, I'd imagine that if they're limiting access it's because they do not believe handheld devices have sufficient security and do not want cooperate data to be stored on them. If your IT Department doesn't want your phone connecting to exchange, it's likely they wouldn't be too thrilled to discover that you're bypassing their security by using outlook as a conduit.
    I can see that might be a concern in some companies. Others are more concerned about the security of the exchange server itself.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    no, that'd be the executives and the salespeople. we can compare W-2s anytime you want.

    now don't you have to go change the printer paper or go look for free food or something???
    You did catch the word "some", didn't you?

    And, I don't do printers. Servers.

    Sometimes it's pretty boring stuff though, and might would even enjoy changing paper more than trying to figure out why a drive keeps dismounting, but hey, it's a living.

    And ironically, I'm satisfied enough with it that I don't have to boost my own ego by attacking others.

    Go figger...
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/22/2009 at 01:20 AM.
  3. #83  
    Personally....

    1. there's too much I don't like about google contacts & calendar that I don't like and have mentioned in other threads. How it handles names and adrs (limited fields) stinks. Sorry, it's just not the greatest PIM. PD is still better. Does google handle memos? Umm...don't think so. Sorry google. Can I completely work with google when I'm offline? Don't think so. Sorry again google.
    2. don't care for outlook. will use it if my arm is twisted and if work ever goes that route. Don't need it's bloated software on my computer.
    3. I have info dating back 13yrs that I actually use on my calendar. What caches and what doesn't if I need to restore from scratch? How far ahead does it cache? I find out about cases sometimes 2-3 months in advance. I know PD always has everything and will sync everything. this also brings me back to backing up on the Pre and the card slot and all that fun stuff I've tried to forget.
    4. What platforms does it sync to? Windows & Mac. Let the open people of linux figure their own solution out. Hell, they have more distros than windows and mac have had versions of their OS.
    5. How are third parties supposed to sync up their info to their respective desktop software if there is no desktop conduit? I guess that mainly affects financial programs, but I'm sure there's others.
    6. Why do I need an exchange server or a web based PIM if I have my own NAS and can let Palm Desktop info reside on it and give the Pre access to it? That would be an acceptable solution for me. Gives me my desktop based access as well as giving the Pre it's web based sync, and my computer doesn't need to be on 24/7.
    7. Everyone is all loving access via the web from anywhere. What do you do when you don't have access?

    I'm not against the cloud. I just don't care for the options on it at the moment(not as good as their desktop counterparts) and how dead in the water you are when you don't have cloud access. I was at a hospital without wifi today, and I forgot my wifi card. I was fine updating some things on PD, but would've been SOL if Google was my answer. Well actually I wouldn't have been SOL because Google wouldn't let me edit and update some memos anyway. I just don't see all the bases being covered in the cloud so why should I give in to it hook line and sinker, and why should Palm expect me to when they haven't even addressed everything yet?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Personally....

    Can I completely work with google when I'm offline? Don't think so. Sorry again google.
    Yes you can... Google Gears.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My apologies. I'm not a Mac user, so did not realize this. I thought I had read several times in the past that Mac users purchased sync software.
    Actually if you are running the latest OS, palm sync is kinda flakey. And if you have a WM device you absolutely have no choice but third party.

    There is no reason that anyone should have to provide individual solutions for the whole market. If Palm chose just to support Windows, that would be their right.

    Personally if I were Palm i would make it as easy as possible for iPhoners to switch. Much of the initial advertising about iPhone/mobile.me was misleading. It never was and still isn't exchange for the rest of us.

    Lots of iPhoners use work arounds / jailbrakes to get their device to do what they want it to do. And its a hassle!! You still can't wirelessly share calendars on mobile.me. And forget about shared multiple cals syncing wirelessly.

    It's too funny talking to Apple corporate staff and asking them what they do with their family cal, and their work cal.

    I'm sort of not sold on the cloud, but have a niggling feeling Palm are just ahead of the curve on this one. Here is hoping anyway.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I'm sort of not sold on the cloud, but have a niggling feeling Palm are just ahead of the curve on this one. Here is hoping anyway.
    The problem is you can be too far ahead of the curve, psrticularly if you are a one product company.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The problem is you can be too far ahead of the curve, psrticularly if you are a one product company.
    One product??

    Their website currently list four products.

    Pre (WebOS, will be available June 6, 2009)
    Treo Pro (WinMo, became available March 15, 2009)
    Centro (Palm OS, became available September, 2007)
    Treo 800w (WinMo, became available July 2008)

    (dates may be slightly off, I'm working from memory here)

    Three of those four have desktop sync capabilities. Though not nearly as broad a range of devices as I'd prefer to see, it's definitely not "one product", nor have excluded desktop sync from the other products.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One product??

    Their website currently list four products.

    Pre (WebOS, will be available June 6, 2009)
    Treo Pro (WinMo, became available March 15, 2009)
    Centro (Palm OS, became available September, 2007)
    Treo 800w (WinMo, became available July 2008)

    (dates may be slightly off, I'm working from memory here)

    Three of those four have desktop sync capabilities. Though not nearly as broad a range of devices as I'd prefer to see, it's definitely not "one product", nor have excluded desktop sync from the other products.
    The 800w & Centro are close to being EOL. I would be surprised to see either device on any carrier next year. The TreoPro is really an HTC device. Palm has ceased all PalmOS related development and outsourced WM development to HTC. It really is just the WebOS company now.

    Interestingly, the only Palm Smartphone available from any Carrier other than Sprint is the Centro. Yes, there is an unlocked Treo Pro available but the market for unlocked phones is fairly small.
  9. #89  
    I know about gears, and from the few blogs I read, it let's you view only, not edit. I haven't seen anything on the contacts side either.

    In addition to offline access to Gmail while you're traveling or without a strong internet connection, you can now see your Google Calendar events when you're disconnected. Offline Calendar lets you view your existing schedule and events, but not edit them, so you don't have to print out calendars the night before a trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Yes you can... Google Gears.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The 800w & Centro are close to being EOL. I would be surprised to see either device on any carrier next year. The TreoPro is really an HTC device. Palm has ceased all PalmOS related development and outsourced WM development to HTC. It really is just the WebOS company now.

    Interestingly, the only Palm Smartphone available from any Carrier other than Sprint is the Centro. Yes, there is an unlocked Treo Pro available but the market for unlocked phones is fairly small.
    None of that I really disagree with; it's only your final interpretation.
    2 "near EOL" products, + 2 product outsourced by another company + 1 product selling in 2 weeks + 1 product "leaked" does not = "only one product" by any stretch of the imagination.

    Unless someone happens to be miffed that the new product coming out in two weeks doesn't do exactly what they want it to do.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    None of that I really disagree with; it's only your final interpretation.
    2 "near EOL" products, + 2 product outsourced by another company + 1 product selling in 2 weeks + 1 product "leaked" does not = "only one product" by any stretch of the imagination.

    Unless someone happens to be miffed that the new product coming out in two weeks doesn't do exactly what they want it to do.
    Its actually 2 "near EOL" products, 1 outsourced product & 1 new product that Palm are betting the company on. Out of those four products, only one is actually under active development at Palm, the other non EOL device is mostly an exercise in badge engineering.

    The 800W is probably still on the site because Palm still has a warehouse or two full of them. Now the Pro is available on Sprint, I am not sure what other reason they would have to keep it around. EOL for the Centro is a little less clear but Chattermail will no longer be on sale after 5/29 and tech support will cease this summer.

    If the Pre did not succeed, Palm would just be a reseller of HTC devices (if it survived). That;s my definitiion of a one product company.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its actually 2 "near EOL" products, 1 outsourced product & 1 new product that Palm are betting the company on. Out of those four products, only one is actually under active development at Palm, the other non EOL device is mostly an exercise in badge engineering.

    The 800W is probably still on the site because Palm still has a warehouse or two full of them. Now the Pro is available on Sprint, I am not sure what other reason they would have to keep it around. EOL for the Centro is a little less clear but Chattermail will no longer be on sale after 5/29 and tech support will cease this summer.

    If the Pre did not succeed, Palm would just be a reseller of HTC devices (if it survived). That;s my definitiion of a one product company.
    The "2 outsourced" was a typo. Sorry, but the intent of the post is clear.

    They are not a "one product company". Now, if someone redefines the definition of "one product" and "company" to your specification, that would be a different story; however, by any accepted use of the phrase, they have more than one product, plain and simple.

    There's little doubt that the GSM version is in the works, though I don't think I'd call that another product. But the EOS most definitely is. That one sprung up almost fully grown. I strongly suspect we will see others.

    I also strongly suspect that if the Pre is not as successful as Palm would like, and they can attribute it to not including a desktop PIM and appropriate software, then we'll probably see a change (assuiming they survive long enogh).

    However, we both know that's not very likely. The likely story is that the Pre will be at least successful enough to keep them afloat. In which case, the argument about whether or not the desktop PIM/sync option was bad or good will just as likely become moot.

    I really think you guys that are demanding this, and want a Pre are going to have to resign yourselves to something that millions of Palm users resigned themselves to a long time ago.

    You're likely going to have to look at third party options.
  13. #93  
    so what if we do? Doesn't mean we still can't complain. Better than complaining about the lack of a card slot or camcorder or whatever. How one's personal information is dealt with is a bit more important than the above or most trivial things that have been complained about. It's one of the main reasons why we use a smartphone over a dumbphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really think you guys that are demanding this, and want a Pre are going to have to resign yourselves to something that millions of Palm users resigned themselves to a long time ago.

    You're likely going to have to look at third party options.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    so what if we do? Doesn't mean we still can't complain. Better than complaining about the lack of a card slot or camcorder or whatever. How one's personal information is dealt with is a bit more important than the above or most trivial things that have been complained about. It's one of the main reasons why we use a smartphone over a dumbphone.
    Nothing at all wrong with complaining (as long as the "back and forth" stays reasonable - I submit that in many cases on here, it hasn't). Keep in mind though, that when you complain, you're likely to get responses that say "It's the new program, get used to it".

    As has been pointed out, IR's been dropped on Pams (and most laptops), phone modems are extra on most laptops (and IR's almost non-existant). Things change.
  15. #95  
    yes, but those aren't features that are fundamental to a smartphone. And no offense, while you're not the lone voice against, you're the only really making that big of an issue against it. So I really don't put much stock in your opinion of "It's the new program, get used to it." If we had a mad rush of people in agreement, that would be another thing altogether.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    yes, but those aren't features that are fundamental to a smartphone. And no offense, while you're not the lone voice against, you're the only really making that big of an issue against it. So I really don't put much stock in your opinion of "It's the new program, get used to it." If we had a mad rush of people in agreement, that would be another thing altogether.
    I disagree completely, there have been several that have been very vocal about "get used to it on here". Also, I don't agree that the features you are talking about are fundamental to this smartphone.

    It doesn't come with a sync program (apparently) to a PC PIM, because it doesn't come with a PIM. I strongly expect that they (Palm) are going to let others proved the PIMs, and the method to sync them.

    Unless that causes the device to not sell well. Then (I'm sure), they will reassess.
  17. #97  
    All of this IR talk makes me think of Bluetooth, which leaves me amazed that my old 650 actually had built-in Bluetooth. That was quite a while back.

    Most people didn't know what Bluetooth was.


    Just a random thought.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18. #98  
    Everybody remember that "fat middle" palm talked about? Those people use web services and don't have thousands of contacts in desktop PIM software. Most of them don't even have smartphones. Those are the people palm want's to sell to. Just selling to old palm users who want things to work like they have for the past 10 years is what palm has been doing for 10 years, and it's why palm is circling the drain now.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Everybody remember that "fat middle" palm talked about? Those people use web services and don't have thousands of contacts in desktop PIM software. Most of them don't even have smartphones. Those are the people palm want's to sell to. Just selling to old palm users who want things to work like they have for the past 10 years is what palm has been doing for 10 years, and it's why palm is circling the drain now.
    alienate your existing customers at your own peril.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Most people didn't know what Bluetooth was.


    Just a random thought.
    Most people still don't know what Bluetooth is.

    Just a random response.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions