Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
  1. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    read my posts above!!! I'll buy your pre for you if it doesn't work....
    LOL...okay I may hold you to it! ;-)

    Email -- no problem since I can setup IMAP -- I just hope the calendar and contacts work as expected! :-)

    I guess I will find out Saturday (fingers crossed)!
  2. #22  
    I think it will work with Google Apps. Just be sure to set it up as an Exchange account and not a Google Account.

    That really kind of bothers me because I would personally prefert to be Microsoft free.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    LOL...okay I may hold you to it! ;-)

    Email -- no problem since I can setup IMAP -- I just hope the calendar and contacts work as expected! :-)

    I guess I will find out Saturday (fingers crossed)!
    I don't know how else I can phrase it... let's try this....

    It works... a *friend* I know has tried it with his Google Apps account.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  4. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I think it will work with Google Apps. Just be sure to set it up as an Exchange account and not a Google Account.

    That really kind of bothers me because I would personally prefert to be Microsoft free.
    No. DO NOT SET IT UP AS AN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT. Set it up as a Google Account. It will work.

    Enough with the guessing... I'm 100% positive on this. I can't obviously say why... but you can guess.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  5. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    It works... a *friend* I know has tried it with his Google Apps account.
    Was it set up as an exchange account, as noted by rc46? I want to make sure I set it up right on Saturday.
  6. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Enough with the guessing... I'm 100% positive on this. I can't obviously say why... but you can guess.

  7. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    Was it set up as an exchange account, as noted by rc46? I want to make sure I set it up right on Saturday.
    NOT AN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT!!

    Regular Google account... here's why...

    When you add a new email account on the Pre and select "Google" it already looks to specific servers to connect. (imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com) using the correct ports. Your Google Apps account uses these same servers for IMAP.

    When you add an email account, it automagically adds the Contacts and Calendar accounts as well. (You can delete these independently if you so desire.)

    Google Apps works.... flawlessly.... I'm very happy... I mean my *friend* is very happy with how it works.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    No. DO NOT SET IT UP AS AN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT. Set it up as a Google Account. It will work.

    Enough with the guessing... I'm 100% positive on this. I can't obviously say why... but you can guess.

    Well I'm 100% positive it wont work *for me*. I have a regular google account with the exact same user name and password as my google apps account. I use that sign in for things like google toolbar and google news that do not work under my Google apps sign in. Guess what, there is not any Calendar or contact data (or email for that matter) in that account but there is in my Google Apps account with the same sign in and password.

    If what you are saying is correct then I guess I will have to somehow delete my regular Google account or maybe just put a different password on it
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9. #29  
    When you log into your Google apps account you can add the other apps i.e. email, calendar, etc.. Your email will be signinname(at)gmail.com (I do not have enough posts to post email addresses so gear down big shifter before you start yellin about my syntax.... Just go to the top of the screen in apps or whatever you are in and add the email and calendar. It is really simple, you do not have to delete anything..
  10. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Google Apps works.... flawlessly.... I'm very happy... I mean my *friend* is very happy with how it works.
    Well very cool! That was one of only two things holding me back! Knowing that it will work like I need it to relieves me on that first count.

    I don't suppose your *friend* is familiar with Slingbox and whether he knows if their Palm player will work using MotionApps Palm Pre Classic emulator? I know, I know...too much to ask...LOL!

    Oh well, even if not, I will probably still jump on board and hope Sling comes out with something soon...sigh.
  11. chad783's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #31  
    My question is will some of my events on my Gmail calendar sync to my Exchange calendar or will it only go to the Pre? I have things on my Gmail calendar that I don't want on my work Exchange. Also, I have layered calendars on both Exchange and Gmail, will all those layered calendars go to my Pre? Example, I have a separate calendar on my calendar on Exchange that has my meetings on it. With Windows Mobile, just my main calendar on Exchange would only sync and not my Meetings calendar. Same thing for Gmail. I have multiple calendars on my Gmail account including weather, holidays and sports calendars but my Windows Mobile device would only sync with the main calendar. Will the Pre bring all these speparate calendars together and not cross over to each other's format?

    Oh...one last question, I have seen that there are different colors for events, which service will control the colors for those events?
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by springsyeti View Post
    When you log into your Google apps account you can add the other apps i.e. email, calendar, etc.. Your email will be signinname(at)gmail.com (I do not have enough posts to post email addresses so gear down big shifter before you start yellin about my syntax.... Just go to the top of the screen in apps or whatever you are in and add the email and calendar. It is really simple, you do not have to delete anything..
    You miss read my post. Let me try again I have 2 accounts

    Account#1 Google Apps - Email, Calendar, Contacts
    Account#2 Regular Google - Tool Bar, YouTube, iGoogle, Google News and a few other things that dont work with the Google Apps account.

    Both accounts have the exact same user name and password. I think I solved my own problem when I said all I have to do is change the password on one of the accounts.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  13. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    My question is will some of my events on my Gmail calendar sync to my Exchange calendar or will it only go to the Pre? I have things on my Gmail calendar that I don't want on my work Exchange. Also, I have layered calendars on both Exchange and Gmail, will all those layered calendars go to my Pre? Example, I have a separate calendar on my calendar on Exchange that has my meetings on it. With Windows Mobile, just my main calendar on Exchange would only sync and not my Meetings calendar. Same thing for Gmail. I have multiple calendars on my Gmail account including weather, holidays and sports calendars but my Windows Mobile device would only sync with the main calendar. Will the Pre bring all these speparate calendars together and not cross over to each other's format?

    Oh...one last question, I have seen that there are different colors for events, which service will control the colors for those events?
    Your post confused me a little bit but I'll try to answer your questions.
    1. You have a misconception about how the Pre's synergy works. There is a barrier between calendars. You Exchange calendar is SEPARATE from your Google Calendars. It only Displays them together. Forget the sync solutions of old where you had a jumble of items and it was impossible to keep them separate. When you create a new calendar entry, you PICK which calendar to put it on and it's ONLY on that calendar. (If you pick your Personal Google calendar, you won't find it when you login at work).

    2. Google Calendars: If you have say five calendars : Personal, Family, Financial and subscribe to your Wife's calendar, and your favorite sports team (Buffalo Sabres for me). EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE CALENDARS show up on your Pre. Now, if your wife has granted you access to edit items, you can also edit delegated calendar entries. Pretty cool!

    3. Colors: User definable for each calendar, but a amount of colors to choose from. Each calendar is definable.

    4. Exchange calendars: Unfortunately it's only the main calendar that shows up. It's a limitation of the Exchange Implementation as of right now.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  14. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You miss read my post. Let me try again I have 2 accounts

    Account#1 Google Apps - Email, Calendar, Contacts
    Account#2 Regular Google - Tool Bar, YouTube, iGoogle, Google News and a few other things that dont work with the Google Apps account.

    Both accounts have the exact same user name and password. I think I solved my own problem when I said all I have to do is change the password on one of the accounts.
    You're FURTHER confused...
    Three types of accounts:
    1. Gmail account. ONLY email.
    2. A Google Account. Includes all other items Toolbar, YouTube, iGoogle, etc.
    3. Google Apps Account. Combination of email, calendar, sites, docs, and contacts. Can be set up for your own domain (as mine is.) Allows you to define multiple users, mailing lists, etc.

    Three separate accounts. Many people confuse the Google Account with Google Apps. VERY DIFFERENT!!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  15. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    Well very cool! That was one of only two things holding me back! Knowing that it will work like I need it to relieves me on that first count.

    I don't suppose your *friend* is familiar with Slingbox and whether he knows if their Palm player will work using MotionApps Palm Pre Classic emulator? I know, I know...too much to ask...LOL!

    Oh well, even if not, I will probably still jump on board and hope Sling comes out with something soon...sigh.
    My friend can't get MotionApps yet...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    You're FURTHER confused...
    Three types of accounts:
    1. Gmail account. ONLY email.
    2. A Google Account. Includes all other items Toolbar, YouTube, iGoogle, etc.
    3. Google Apps Account. Combination of email, calendar, sites, docs, and contacts. Can be set up for your own domain (as mine is.) Allows you to define multiple users, mailing lists, etc.

    Three separate accounts. Many people confuse the Google Account with Google Apps. VERY DIFFERENT!!!
    I'm not confused at all but obviously my terminology is confusing you.
    My accounts
    1- Google Apps Account that uses my domain
    2- Google Account

    I do not have a Gmail account.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  17. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I'm not confused at all but obviously my terminology is confusing you.
    My accounts
    1- Google Apps Account that uses my domain
    2- Google Account

    I do not have a Gmail account.
    Bonus. You're good to go. Enjoy your Pre...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  18. #38  
    people are frickin' thick.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    No. DO NOT SET IT UP AS AN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT. Set it up as a Google Account. It will work.

    Enough with the guessing... I'm 100% positive on this. I can't obviously say why... but you can guess.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  19. chad783's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Your post confused me a little bit but I'll try to answer your questions.
    1. You have a misconception about how the Pre's synergy works. There is a barrier between calendars. You Exchange calendar is SEPARATE from your Google Calendars. It only Displays them together. Forget the sync solutions of old where you had a jumble of items and it was impossible to keep them separate. When you create a new calendar entry, you PICK which calendar to put it on and it's ONLY on that calendar. (If you pick your Personal Google calendar, you won't find it when you login at work).

    2. Google Calendars: If you have say five calendars : Personal, Family, Financial and subscribe to your Wife's calendar, and your favorite sports team (Buffalo Sabres for me). EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE CALENDARS show up on your Pre. Now, if your wife has granted you access to edit items, you can also edit delegated calendar entries. Pretty cool!

    3. Colors: User definable for each calendar, but a amount of colors to choose from. Each calendar is definable.

    4. Exchange calendars: Unfortunately it's only the main calendar that shows up. It's a limitation of the Exchange Implementation as of right now.


    1. Ok...maybe I am just old-school with Windows Mobile and Palm OS that when you have two services like Exchange and Gmail both syncing, whatever shows up one will show up on the other. I love that there is a barrier and they don't crossover. I just fell in love with the Pre even more.

    2. Good. I know with the new Google Sync application that only the main calendar can sync with Outlook and not the others like sports teams and weather. It is in the beta version now so hopefully they can make that happen soon because that would be cool.

    3. So you have a choice as to what color the sports calendar, main calendar, etc.? It doesn't carry over from the color you choose in Gmail then? If so, that is fine.

    4. So my Meetings calendar I better keep in my main calendar if I want to see it on the Pre, right? If I do a separate calendar then it won't show up? If so, then that sucks the Exchange can't do what Gmail can do.

    Thanks for all the help.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
  20. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    1. Ok...maybe I am just old-school with Windows Mobile and Palm OS that when you have two services like Exchange and Gmail both syncing, whatever shows up one will show up on the other. I love that there is a barrier and they don't crossover. I just fell in love with the Pre even more.

    2. Good. I know with the new Google Sync application that only the main calendar can sync with Outlook and not the others like sports teams and weather. It is in the beta version now so hopefully they can make that happen soon because that would be cool.

    3. So you have a choice as to what color the sports calendar, main calendar, etc.? It doesn't carry over from the color you choose in Gmail then? If so, that is fine.

    4. So my Meetings calendar I better keep in my main calendar if I want to see it on the Pre, right? If I do a separate calendar then it won't show up? If so, then that sucks the Exchange can't do what Gmail can do.

    Thanks for all the help.
    1. No more duplicated appointments or clutter.

    2. Don't use Outlook. Sorry.

    3. Color doesn't carry over from Google. Google has like 25 colors. Pre uses pastels.

    4. Put everything in your main calender if you want it visible from your Pre. Talk to Microsloth, maybe they'll change it. Somehow.... I doubt it.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions