Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1.    #1  
    Yet, another synching thread.

    After switching to the Treo Pro from the 700p, I now have all of my Notes, Calendars, and Tasks in Outlook instead of Palm Desktop. So, I am not concerned about synching with Palm Desktop only with Outlook, 2007 to be specific. Is anyone aware of any announced tools to synch the Pre with Outlook on an ongoing basis? I am not interested in synching to Google first, as I don't have a Gmail account and don't need one, since, I have my own e-mail domain with IMAP.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Local MS Outlook, you say? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    well i'm sorry but according to a few apologists here you have no choice but to move everything to the cloud and you should be ridiculed for even thinking of wanting a local Outlook sync option. and no more MS Office either - immediately move all of your Office Docs to the Cloud too.

    good luck.
  3.    #3  
    That's pretty funny! Thanks for the chuckle!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    That's pretty funny! Thanks for the chuckle!
    I believe I read that Companionlink is look to provide a desktop sync app.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Local MS Outlook, you say? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    well i'm sorry but according to a few apologists here you have no choice but to move everything to the cloud and you should be ridiculed for even thinking of wanting a local Outlook sync option. and no more MS Office either - immediately move all of your Office Docs to the Cloud too.

    good luck.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Local MS Outlook, you say? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    well i'm sorry but according to a few apologists here you have no choice but to move everything to the cloud and you should be ridiculed for even thinking of wanting a local Outlook sync option. and no more MS Office either - immediately move all of your Office Docs to the Cloud too.

    good luck.
    Wow! Who are these "apologists" that you're talking about that said, or implied through actions, that one "should be ridiculed for even thinking of wanting a local Outlook sync option".

    I think you're extraploating some, and confusing fantasy with reality. You know, like the Ricky Bobby thing...
  7. #7  
    I'll let Gekko answer you directly, buy are you serious? Gekko was right: Expressing a need or desire for a local sync option is a surefire "invitation" from at least a few in this forum to scorn.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wow! Who are these "apologists" that you're talking about that said, or implied through actions, that one "should be ridiculed for even thinking of wanting a local Outlook sync option".

    I think you're extraploating some, and confusing fantasy with reality. You know, like the Ricky Bobby thing...
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    I'll let Gekko answer you directly, buy are you serious? Gekko was right: Expressing a need or desire for a local sync option is a surefire "invitation" from at least a few in this forum to scorn.
    I disagree completely. I've seen several (including myself) that have said that there will likely be such an option.

    However, the "scorn" comes when folks deride Palm for not providing such a synchronization out of the box.

    I don't have Outlook, and don't use it. It's an add-on piece that is for sale by Microsoft. Why should Palm be expected to provide a free tool to synchronize with a for purchase program from another company?

    I think their current plan is the better one. Provide something that will access the most popular server based options (including Exchange, for the Outlook fans), and let third party developers fill in the gap.
  9. #9  
    Evidently Documents to Go was a complete waste of time then too?

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I disagree completely. I've seen several (including myself) that have said that there will likely be such an option.

    However, the "scorn" comes when folks deride Palm for not providing such a synchronization out of the box.

    I don't have Outlook, and don't use it. It's an add-on piece that is for sale by Microsoft. Why should Palm be expected to provide a free tool to synchronize with a for purchase program from another company?

    I think their current plan is the better one. Provide something that will access the most popular server based options (including Exchange, for the Outlook fans), and let third party developers fill in the gap.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Evidently Documents to Go was a complete waste of time then too?
    Hmmmm, you saw somewhere in my post where I said "complete waste of time"?

    I don't think so.

    Actually, I think (and this is personal opinion, of course), Documents to Go was a marketing tool from DataViz. I had a LOT of different Palm devices that came with the "free" Documents to Go. And each time I got a ton of emails advising me of the advantages of paying an upgrade price for a different version.

    However, the analogy is a good one. The part of it that you are missing is that D2G did not come with the initial release of the Palm OS. Nor did it come with several of the subsequent releases. I think it first came for free with my Treo 650, but I don't remember for sure.

    I don't know if Palm paid DataViz for the included package, or if it was freely given by DatViz in exchange for the chance to sell upgraded packages, but the point is moot.

    What happened was Palm released the OS, a third party app was added down the road, and Palm took advantage of that.

    I expect we will see similar arrangements with the Pre and WebOS.

    But not on day one.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    no, i will not settle down!!! i want some answers!!! i want the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!




    haha it'll be funny when we know everything....the Forum will be much different.
  12. #12  
    you'll miss me when i'm gone.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    no, some people are trying to jam the cloud down our throats.
    Nah, I haven't seen that. I've seen folks defending Palm's decision to base their new device on cloud computing.

    Those that don't like it have other options. The Pro is still available.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nah, I haven't seen that. I've seen folks defending Palm's decision to base their new device on cloud computing.

    Those that don't like it have other options. The Pro is still available.
    we are just tired of a few here -

    1. authoritatively ASSuming that there will be no local sync.
    2. telling us that we should like it or lump it.

    it's quite annoying after the 20th time.
  15. #15  
    +1 eek
    Quote Originally Posted by gekko View Post
    we are just tired of a few here -

    1. Authoritatively assuming that there will be no local sync.
    2. Telling us that we should like it or lump it.

    It's quite annoying after the 20th time.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    we are just tired of a few here -

    1. authoritatively ASSuming that there will be no local sync.
    2. telling us that we should like it or lump it.

    it's quite annoying after the 20th time.
    I'll give you #1, but it's a reasonable assumption, since several things Palm has said support it.

    I've not seen anything that said you should "like it or lump it." Maybe you have a link pointing to such? With "20" of them, it should be pretty easy.

    I'm thinking it's probably a little hyperbole on your part...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'll give you #1, but it's a reasonable assumption, since several things Palm has said support it.

    I've not seen anything that said you should "like it or lump it." Maybe you have a link pointing to such? With "20" of them, it should be pretty easy.

    I'm thinking it's probably a little hyperbole on your part...
    >Those that don't like it have other options. The Pro is still available.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    >Those that don't like it have other options. The Pro is still available.
    Ahhhh, so it was hyperbole on your part.

    You took one part of a post of mine, completely out of context, to attempt to make your point.

    What I really said was:

    Nah, I haven't seen that. I've seen folks defending Palm's decision to base their new device on cloud computing.

    Those that don't like it have other options. The Pro is still available.


    In other words, those that don't like cloud computing have other options.

    I didn't say those that still want the ability to sync in addition to cloud computing.

    Seriously, why would you buy the Pre if you don't want a device that is based on cloud computing.

    I can buy a Mac, and format the hard drive and put Windows XP on it, but why would I? If I wanted a Windows XP, there are better machines for it.

    Using that analogy, if I complained that the Mac came with OS X instead of what I wanted, it would be perfectly legitimate for someone to tell me there are other options.
  19.    #19  
    One would buy a Pre because it will (potentially) more elegantly do all of the things that other smartphones do while freeing itself of the shortcomings of those phones. If the Pre didn't have Synergy and use the Cloud, it would still be a great phone, right?!?

    To be clear, a lot of people have expressed the opnion, "why would you want to run PalmOS applications on a phone built for the future?" The simple answer is "because there are thousands and thousands of applications that people would like to use." That answer was poo-poo'd by some. Well, Palm and Motion thought that accessing PalmOS apps was still a good idea and provide a solution for that task. Just because a few might think that Outlook synchronizaiton is a waste of time, that doesn't mean that Palm feels the same way. Of course, the opposite could be true.

    If Palm or some other company were to offer Pre to Outlook synching, would that be a reason to not use the Pre? Of course not! Would those that feel that Outlook synchronization is passe, think that the effort was a waste of time? Probably. But as long as the company offering that solution breaks even on the endeavor, then it is hard to say that it is a waste of time.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    One would buy a Pre because it will (potentially) more elegantly do all of the things that other smartphones do while freeing itself of the shortcomings of those phones. If the Pre didn't have Synergy and use the Cloud, it would still be a great phone, right?!?

    To be clear, a lot of people have expressed the opnion, "why would you want to run PalmOS applications on a phone built for the future?" The simple answer is "because there are thousands and thousands of applications that people would like to use." That answer was poo-poo'd by some. Well, Palm and Motion thought that accessing PalmOS apps was still a good idea and provide a solution for that task. Just because a few might think that Outlook synchronizaiton is a waste of time, that doesn't mean that Palm feels the same way. Of course, the opposite could be true.

    If Palm or some other company were to offer Pre to Outlook synching, would that be a reason to not use the Pre? Of course not! Would those that feel that Outlook synchronization is passe, think that the effort was a waste of time? Probably. But as long as the company offering that solution breaks even on the endeavor, then it is hard to say that it is a waste of time.
    Well said pureinstinct93
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions