Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    When I bring my Pre home....just update Outlook once more.....which will update Gmail....get it?.... My life is not that active where everyday my contact list and other info changes...

IGO
    i see - i have 2,600+ contacts changing all the time so im paranoid about syncing. are you using CompanionLink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i see - i have 2,600+ contacts changing all the time so im paranoid about syncing. are you using CompanionLink?
    Nope.......I mite add a contact maybe once or twice in a 3 month period. So again...just update outlook from my 800w.....etc....when I get my Pre ...just update and whammo.....all list are current!!

To answr your question....I convert my outlook info to a csv (?) type file...upload that file to Gmail which converts it back to a contacts list...
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    Nope.......I mite add a contact maybe once or twice in a 3 month period. So again...just update outlook from my 800w.....etc....when I get my Pre ...just update and whammo.....all list are current!!

To answr your question....I convert my outlook info to a csv (?) type file...upload that file to Gmail which converts it back to a contacts list...
    hmmn i tested the PD---->CSV--------->Gmail and it effed up all of my Contacts in Gmail. the fields were all fkd. companionlink for Google worked fine.

i didnt like the gmail contacts though. i like PD.
    I had a hell of a time getting the contacts off my Treo in a format usable by Outlook when I switched to WM. Hopefully since Pre pulls the contacts off the server it will work out a little better going back.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I have a feeling that some sort of activesync type software will be included. If I pay $200 for a smartphone, I should sure hope that I can sync directly to my Outlook for tasks/memo's/contacts/calander etc.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    What about Windows Mobile? I sync with Exchange directly with no intermediary server and it kicks ***. Exchange is a great example of how the Pre is designed to work. The "cloud" services everyone seems so afraid of are just servers accessible by all of your machines, mobile or laptop or desktop. .
    Neodorian... hello. Yes, Windows Mobile would be great, and so would PALM, however, the corp i work for actually has 2 rules. No sync except blackberry was a long time rule, now relaxed to include WM in 2009, however, the other rule is pretty much only executives can sync via bb or wm, leaving the thousands of other individuals without direct access to the exchange server by anything other than a vpn or lan connected laptop/pc.

For the many users out there, who don't have direct access to their exchange servers because of "rules" or the fact that their exchange servers are on the intranet, the local sync is all you have. Rolling important data that changes every day (especially mtg notices, etc) to google, not an option, so i'm very hopeful for a 3rd party app or palm app, that allows local sync via bluetooth similar to my Treo 700p. I dont mind the cloud, i fear no cloud! however, not everything is IN the cloud, so thats why many people are complaining about usability. There data is not in the cloud, and wont be, so another option is really desired & needed.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Some people don't have access to an exchange server and some don't like the cloud based PIM options. If there is already a tool in place to migrate one's info from PD to the Pre initially, I don't understand why it can't continue it in both directions. The real work is already done.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Some people don't have access to an exchange server and some don't like the cloud based PIM options. If there is already a tool in place to migrate one's info from PD to the Pre initially, I don't understand why it can't continue it in both directions. The real work is already done.
    There's not much in the way of details on how that initial conversion is going to be done, but I believe I saw mention of having a link emailed to you. This would indicate that even that is over the air.

Keep in mind, synchronizing is much more difficult than handling an import/export. However, I have little doubt that you'll see an option shortly after release.
    Hopefully Markspace will come to the rescue of the Mac community ... again.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123