Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Here is an argument i may have missed somewhere along the line?

Many major large corporations do NOT allow their employees to sync to their exchange servers by anything other than a blackberry. That being said, individuals who choose to have a more robust device, utilize synch'g locally to their Outlook Contacts/Cal etc in order that they can atleast have their contacts & Cal data on their device.

Pre says "Sync with Exchange". Well, for many companies u cant do that.
    Pre says "Sync via Google & Exchange". Well, having all of your work meetings, access #s, etc from meeting notices, & proprietary info, out on google web isn't an option, from a security standpoint.

The Pre is supposed to be the "work & play" phone, combining both worlds.

I'm trying to determine, where is the logic in not allowing a bluetooth sync capability from PRE to Local PC for Outlook data? Does it hurt anyone to have it? No I dont think so.

So... for us individuals who cannot sync to corporate exchange servers, and cannot place corporate data on google, i can't see why we can't be offered another choice that seemingly wouldn't negatively affect the device in any way.

If not at launch, then post launch: "Bluetooth sync to PRE from local Outlook is COMING SOON." Either by some 3rd party vendor or Palm. Would it hurt to gain more users by having this option? They certainly wouldn't lose any by having it.

my 2cents wishing for a solution.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    When did you first use a Palm device? Basic syncing between the device and PD & Outlook has been standard for many years. That is why it should be standard out of the box with the Pre, leaving the cloud part as an option. Forcing customers to use Google or some other web based PIM or pay for Exchange is a bit of a crock. That or pay a third party to locally sync to Palm's own product. The basis of Palm was it's ability to desktop sync for FREE and out of the box. To completely abandon it, relying on paid 3rd party solutions to fill the gap just isn't right.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I disagree completely. I've seen several (including myself) that have said that there will likely be such an option.

However, the "scorn" comes when folks deride Palm for not providing such a synchronization out of the box.

I don't have Outlook, and don't use it. It's an add-on piece that is for sale by Microsoft. Why should Palm be expected to provide a free tool to synchronize with a for purchase program from another company?

I think their current plan is the better one. Provide something that will access the most popular server based options (including Exchange, for the Outlook fans), and let third party developers fill in the gap.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    [QUOTE=jmeray;1607814]Many major large corporations do NOT allow their employees to sync to their exchange servers by anything other than a blackberry. [QUOTE]

Well said.. I work for a "technology" company but we use Exchange 1992 (just kidding, but old). No active sync and was told "even when we upgrade the dinosaur we wouldn't allow active sync because of 'security' issues -- get an expensive blackberry service contract instead." (or something like that)

so - ability to sync contacts, calendar, and tasks locally would be huge for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    When did you first use a Palm device?
    11 years ago, next month. My Father's day present in 1998.

Basic syncing between the device and PD & Outlook has been standard for many years. That is why it should be standard out of the box with the Pre, leaving the cloud part as an option.
    Sorry, your logic doesn't follow. Palm is the company, and the Pre is a new device that uses a new operating system that is designed around the cloud. That OS has never had direct Outlook synchronization

What you are demanding they should have done is develop the new OS synchronization model, and continue the old, to satisfy folks that are used to the old and haven't even seen the new yet.

I suspect that we will soon see something that will do the synchronization you're talking about. It will likely be a third-party option. The first time Palm device I got, I had to purchase Intellisync, because I (as I stated before) didn't use Outlook, and never have, other than to use it enough to learn to help folks that are having problems.

Eventually, Novell (publishers of GroupWise) purchased Intellisync's product to provide that functionality.

Forcing customers to use Google or some other web based PIM or pay for Exchange is a bit of a crock. That or pay a third party to locally sync to Palm's own product. The basis of Palm was it's ability to desktop sync for FREE and out of the box. To completely abandon it, relying on paid 3rd party solutions to fill the gap just isn't right.
    Why is it a crock? Because you (and some others) are used to it? That doesn't make it so. Mac users have been paying for third party apps to sync with the Palm for quite some time. As I mentioned, I had to pay for a third party app for quite some time.

The world is changing. There are likely more users using "the cloud" now, than there are users using Outlook.
    That's the problem. It's a bad analogy. Just because webOS is based off of web based programming doesn't mean everything has to go through the cloud. Programs reside on the device. Your info resides on the device. Your media resides on the device. The point of the cloud is to provide seamless interaction with the net, not migrate your life to it in one fell swoop. Besides, syncing of your private data is just one aspect of the entire phone. You're already going to have to locally move your media and files. There's still no solution for memos. Just doesn't seem like a well though out plan to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I can buy a Mac, and format the hard drive and put Windows XP on it, but why would I? If I wanted a Windows XP, there are better machines for it.

Using that analogy, if I complained that the Mac came with OS X instead of what I wanted, it would be perfectly legitimate for someone to tell me there are other options.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The general level of douchebaggery on this forum is reaching epic proportions at times.

I vow to use this term at least once a day
    cool on 11yrs. I got my Palm Pilot as a circuit city rep in a sales contest and haven't used anything else since.

Yes, continue with the old because why should current users be forced to use an inferior PIM? Google has many flaws which are constantly pointed out. Heck, name and adr fields still aren't separated out and there still isn't any info about memos. They just got tasks added. And what if you don't use gmail? Your Google Contacts isn't very useful then when you're at your pc and emailing from another program. There's just flaws to this forced migration plain and simple.

It just isn't very synergistic to be forced into using one thing or having to pay for something that was free for their products from their inception. It's actually very Apple like.
    at first I was like, the dude doesn't know how to spell debauchery.
    Quote Originally Posted by superflyrbi View Post

I vow to use this term at least once a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    we are just tired of a few here -

1. authoritatively ASSuming that there will be no local sync.
    2. telling us that we should like it or lump it.

it's quite annoying after the 20th time.
    Amen! Ya know, you guys are obvioulsy much smarter than me about sync options. Tell me your ideas, if you don't mind, for my situation:

1. I sync EMAIL ONLY with my Outlook Exchange Server at work so that I can check email from my Centro

2. I sync my personal memos (tons of them) and all calendar items to the Palm Desktop.

My preference would be to do the same thing with the Pre. What choice do I have if there is no desktop synchronization - will that force me to sync all my personal memos and calendar to Outlook Exchange at work, or should I open a Gmail account for the personal stuff?

I would LOVE some (kind) suggestions on this...it's been bugging me.
    I hear ya. It's the one frustrating thing for me. And I have about 200 or so memos to deal with, only use Palm Desktop, and the idea of my work using Exchange is just scary. They keep talking about it, but most of them (actually all of them) are techno challenged. I'll be surprised if it ever flies.
    Local MS Outlook, you say? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i'm sorry but according to a few apologists here you have no choice but to move everything to the cloud and you should be ridiculed for even thinking of wanting a local Outlook sync option. and no more MS Office either - immediately move all of your Office Docs to the Cloud too.

good luck.

When writing letter at desktop, I prefer to pull an address out of outlook or Palm Desktop. There should be an easier way
    I hear ya. It's the one frustrating thing for me. And I have about 200 or so memos to deal with, only use Palm Desktop, and the idea of my work using Exchange is just scary. They keep talking about it, but most of them (actually all of them) are techno challenged. I'll be surprised if it ever flies.
    So what are you thinking of doing? You are getting the Pre, right? I know I am, I'm just not sure how I'll handle my memos and calendar items.
    My solution.....

I have Outlook.....created a GMail account.....copied all contacts (memos/notes/calenders..etc.) from Outlook and Yahoo to Gmail just incase....now I have a local and cloud copy.

No need to worry when I get my Pre. Just do a local or a cloud synch!!!!

Priceless!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    My solution.....

I have Outlook.....created a GMail account.....copied all contacts (memos/notes/calenders..etc.) from Outlook and Yahoo to Gmail just incase....now I have a local and cloud copy.

Priceless!!!

IGO
    OK, you got me thinking. Probably a dumb question, but my memos and calendar items are all on Palm Desktop - what's the best way to get them to Gmail???
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    OK, you got me thinking. Probably a dumb question, but my memos and calendar items are all on Palm Desktop - what's the best way to get them to Gmail???
    Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google

this is only for contacts and calendar. and you can continue to use PD if you'd like. this program MAY come with the Pre - but we are not sure.

for your memos, i suggest moving them to MS Word.

BEWARE of CSV import. it fked up my Contacts.

i think the best idea is just to wait 2.5 weeks and see what Pre offers before you go experimenting too much and hurt yourself. good luck.
    Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google

this is only for contacts and calendar. and you can continue to use PD if you'd like. this program MAY come with the Pre - but we are not sure.

for your memos, i suggest moving them to MS Word.

BEWARE of CSV import. it fked up my Contacts.

i think the best idea is just to wait 2.5 weeks and see what Pre offers before you go experimenting too much and hurt yourself. good luck.
    Yeah, just waiting is what I plan on doing. Regarding your comment on moving memo's to Word - not sure why you suggested that. Please explain. Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    My solution.....

Priceless!!!

IGO

how are you syncing the two now? which is updated? how? afraid of dupes or wrong data copy?
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    Yeah, just waiting is what I plan on doing. Regarding your comment on moving memo's to Word - not sure why you suggested that. Please explain. Thanks!!
    it LOOKS like Memo sync is toast -

1. MSFT EAS = No Memo Sync
    2. Google Gmail = No Memos (or Memo Sync)
    3. Palm Pre Device = Memo App but Sync to what? nobody knows if any.

so i resigned myself to this fact and went through my hundreds of Memos i had on PD and whittled them down to about 40 and moved those 40 to either related contact "note" fields OR MS Word docs. the "Spring Cleaning" actually felt good to de-clutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    Here is an argument i may have missed somewhere along the line?

Many major large corporations do NOT allow their employees to sync to their exchange servers by anything other than a blackberry.
    What about Windows Mobile? I sync with Exchange directly with no intermediary server and it kicks ***. Exchange is a great example of how the Pre is designed to work. The "cloud" services everyone seems so afraid of are just servers accessible by all of your machines, mobile or laptop or desktop. They act as the intermediary and keep everything in sync. Any online "cloud" service that allows you to sync to your desktop as well as your mobile will allow you to back up info locally. When I add an appointment to my Touch Pro, it is instantly pushed to the Exchange server so that the next time I fire up Outlook, the appointment is there on the calendar. WebOS is designed to do this kind of thing, only with Gmail and Facebook as well.

There have not been any other announcements yet as to what other services they will let you sync with. Many others may follow but I would imagine they will come with time and demand.

If people want to sync to their computer with a cable instead of over the air, it may very well be possible. They just have not announced any app that will do that yet. If the data is accessible in USB storage mode then I'd imagine it would be an elementary task to write a sync app. If it's not accessible directly then there may be some more work to do with it.

As someone else said, this device is geared directly to these kinds of services. Once I got Exchange at work, I have not once synced up with a cable unless I am flashing a new ROM. It's a great way to do things and, quite frankly, the way of the future (to be cliche).

Anyway, with as little info as has been released, it seems premature to get bent out of shape about features that it may or may not have. Give them time to put it out and give devs time to write 3rd party apps to fill in the gaps.
    how are you syncing the two now? which is updated? how? afraid of dupes or wrong data copy?
    When I bring my Pre home....just update Outlook once more.....which will update Gmail....get it?.... My life is not that active where everyday my contact list and other info changes...

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast