1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I searched but I can't believe nobody has asked this before.

There are a million things I love about Gmail, which I've been using for something like 4 years now. Stars, labels, filters, labs, many of which are especially helpful when you're using a computer with full keyboard and all that jazz.

But what really sets Gmail apart for me is the conversations. Never EVER again will I tolerate a list of separate messages that belong in one place. Treo got it right with their texting application and it looks like the Pre will have this and take it one step further-ish.

The treo's mail client, Versamail I think it's called, seems completely useless to me. I just opened it up (for maybe the 5th time ever) and it tried to download 406 messages and then said my settings were for only the past 1 day so I can't even test it. But from what I remember, using Versamail for my gmail account removes everything I like about working with Gmail, including conversations, so messages come in separately like I was in dumb old hotmail (unless they've since adapted conversations). So I just use Blazer to access my email through m.gmail.com (or whichever URL decides it actually wants to work on any given day).

Does anyone know if the Pre's email client will make me feel like I'm actually using gmail, or will I just let that app go by the wayside and get my email through the internet?
    I haven't heard whether you will be able to group by conversations or not, but certainly it can be threaded by contact.

Not sure to what extent other gmail features will be supported, but a gmail app for the Pre is a no-brainer. I would think that you'll see such a thing if there are features that are not supported (some of which will be missing due to IMAP, I think).
    I'm not sure all those functions would work in the native app, but I do know the Pre will let you see html email as well as have folders for labels and probably favorites (I dont' use favorites as much). Threaded emails probably won't be there at the beginning but you can use the web app that works really well.

Check out this video:
    In one of the videos, someone had asked a question whether Pre mail program will support threaded email. The response (if I recall correctly) was "not yet". I would hope that they support it in the future. Though I wonder how it can be implemented (how would it look)?
  5. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    A no brainer indeed except for that time a year or two ago when the mildly useful (sort of slow and bulky) gmail treo program stopped being supported by whatever platform it was programmed in.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    But what really sets Gmail apart for me is the conversations. Never EVER again will I tolerate a list of separate messages that belong in one place. Treo got it right with their texting application and it looks like the Pre will have this and take it one step further-ish.

Does anyone know if the Pre's email client will make me feel like I'm actually using gmail, or will I just let that app go by the wayside and get my email through the internet?
    I haven't used the stars & tabs, etc. of gmail, but my conversations of e-mail come threaded just like normal on my Palm 700P. I have never used the VersaMail. I just go right to the gmail website. Once every 2 weeks or so it asks my username & password & it is just like gmail on my computer. Any conversation I am having, regardless of the number of e-mails, is just like on the computer.

If the Pre's mail feature doesn't do it, I find it hard to believe it won't, you should be able to go direct to the website as I do now.

Cheers
    Google will most certainly have a Gmail client.....i doubt the Pre's built in email support will do conversations however.
    Assuming the Pre will have J2ME, I would suppose the current Java version will work.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Assuming the Pre will have J2ME, I would suppose the current Java version will work.
    Except for the fact that it won't (have J2ME.)
    That iPhone app is pretty slick
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Except for the fact that it won't (have J2ME.)
    It's Linux at the backend, I'm sure at some point someone will port it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I'm also sure Google is fully capable of making an HTML5 version.
    and they are probably already working on it. They seem to be a big partner in this whole Pre thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    and they are probably already working on it. They seem to be a big partner in this whole Pre thing.

Huh? How did you reach that conclusion? They seem to be a big partner in the whole Android thing, certainly, but I've not read anywhere that Google services will extend to the Pre.

Sure, google has a vested interest in reaching everybody everywhere, regardless of the pipe or the device, but this claim is a bit of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Huh? How did you reach that conclusion? They seem to be a big partner in the whole Android thing, certainly, but I've not read anywhere that Google services will extend to the Pre.

Sure, google has a vested interest in reaching everybody everywhere, regardless of the pipe or the device, but this claim is a bit of a stretch.
    I think the better claim is that they are going to be working on a WebOS version of most of their applications.

However, they were listed as a Palm Pre partner at the CES presentation:

16. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    an AOL app? Is that for email support or some entire AOL portal on the Pre?! Who the hell uses AOL anymore! haha
    Pretty sure its just email/AIM support.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post

When they demonstrated Google maps the Google guy doing it said the Pre was one of his favorite devices. There's no reason for them not to develop for it, especially when it's so easy. Your doubt is more of a stretch in my opinion. It's pretty obvious they will.