1.    #1  
    I have not seen anyone mention this yet but I think it would be real cool if the Web OS version of Dataviz Documents To Go could sync OTA with Google Documents if the user so desired. That would be true cloud based computing!

What say you?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    i'd like NATIVE Word and Excel SYNC, thank you. Google Docs is for the birds.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'd like NATIVE Word and Excel SYNC, thank you. Google Docs is for the birds.
    Not sure what you mean because I have several "native" World and Excel files stored online in Google documents?

Have you ever used Google Documents?
    Last edited by rc46; 05/15/2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    It would be nice to have the option, but I'd prefer to sync it down to my computer so I can edit with Word.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not sure what you mean because I have several "native" World and Excel files stored online in Google documents?

I have you ever used Google Documents?
    yes.

1. word files limited to 500k.
    2. password protection on word files not supported.
    3. no refresh data option as in excel.

all dealbreakers.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I'm not really a fan of Google in general. For anything other than searching, I think their products aren't really designed for a business user. More for the masses. Obviously, people that rely on Word, Excel, Outlook will never choose Google for their business needs.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    The support would be nice....but if it isn't not a big deal as i'll access files just like any other phone i've owned.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'd like NATIVE Word and Excel SYNC.
    There's already a sync, it's called you hook up the Pre via USB and drag n' drop your documents on the Media partition.

Why does everyone want to bring syncing and conduits into this? The one problem I had with Hotsync'ing was the idiocy of the Install App Tool, and I finally said "enough". I went out, got a 128MB miniSD card, and now I just use a card reader on my system to drop PRCs in the proper folder and VOILA - apps on my 755p. The last thing I'd want would be some sort of sync utility to get Word docs on the Pre - just let me drag n' drop them, thank you very much.
    ...hey these are some of the same people who find charging door covers a deal breaker....

I kid I kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    There's already a sync, it's called you hook up the Pre via USB and drag n' drop your documents on the Media partition.

Why does everyone want to bring syncing and conduits into this? The one problem I had with Hotsync'ing was the idiocy of the Install App Tool, and I finally said "enough". I went out, got a 128MB miniSD card, and now I just use a card reader on my system to drop PRCs in the proper folder and VOILA - apps on my 755p. The last thing I'd want would be some sort of sync utility to get Word docs on the Pre - just let me drag n' drop them, thank you very much.
    i was referring to OTA cloud docs sync, silly, per the OP.
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/15/2009 at 06:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I'm not really a fan of Google in general. For anything other than searching, I think their products aren't really designed for a business user. More for the masses. Obviously, people that rely on Word, Excel, Outlook will never choose Google for their business needs.
    Genentech uses Google apps (the business version) and it is very slick. There are a lot of things you can do within a business with Google apps that isn't possible with Microsoft Office. I'm an IT engineer for a 100,000+ seat worldwide company and we're looking at Google as an option for office apps, they're that good. Obviously any file limitations mentioned above of the consumer apps are not a problem with the business apps.
    I'm astounded to find myself publicly defending MS Office, but GoogleDocs is a very, very pale imitation. I recently tried uploading my (relatively simple format) resume to Google Docs and it just looked pitiful; there were just so many formatting options from Word that weren't available so I gave up. I ended up mailing a copy of the Word document to myself on Gmail, so I'd have an archived copy that I could get at from anywhere.

The spreadsheet module is similar. It's ok for simple spreadsheets, but it's missing so much from Excel that anything but a very simple sheet gets broken if you upload it. (Of course, that's also true of the Excel module of Docs to Go on PalmOS...)
    I use google docs for simple work. For things heavily reliant on formatting I do in OpenOffice and export to PDF for whoever the intended recipient is. I need MS Office file support because people email me a lot of MS Office attachments, and viewing these on the pre would be extremely useful. I think the pre really needs support for reading MS Office, ODF, and caching/syncing with Google Docs. All have their different uses and all are important IMO.