1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about Exchange and the Pre. Currently I have an iPhone and it is the first time I've used exchange on a phone. I love its capabilities but find it to be incredibly limited. For example, I can not invite attendees or reserve rooms, and the only folder which stays updated is the inbox folder, all others (sent, trash, etc.) only update when I open them.

My question is, is this because it's how Apple implemented it, or is it the extent of Exchange on a non Windows Mobile phone. Do any of you have experience with other phones running exchange where these limitations don't exist? Is it possible they will work on the Pre?
    I'm not familiar with the interface on the iPhone, but many of the peripheral services you mention are driven by your IT department.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about Exchange and the Pre. Currently I have an iPhone and it is the first time I've used exchange on a phone. I love its capabilities but find it to be incredibly limited. For example, I can not invite attendees or reserve rooms, and the only folder which stays updated is the inbox folder, all others (sent, trash, etc.) only update when I open them.

My question is, is this because it's how Apple implemented it, or is it the extent of Exchange on a non Windows Mobile phone. Do any of you have experience with other phones running exchange where these limitations don't exist? Is it possible they will work on the Pre?
    I think invites will be allowed with the 3.0 OS.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Exchange does allow invites on mobile phones using ActiveSync. I do it on my iphone all the time.

Believe it or not I am an iphone user looking to get the Pre. Bored, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Exchange does allow invites on mobile phones using ActiveSync. I do it on my iphone all the time.

on iphone, can you CHOOSE what you want to sync with EAS? ie -

EAS
    MAIL - YES OR NO
    CONTACTS - YES OR NO
    CALENDAR YES OR NO

LOCAL SYNC
    MAIL - YES OR NO
    CONTACTS - YES OR NO
    CALENDAR YES OR NO

PalmOS Versamail EAS is currently an "ALL OR NOTHING" solution.
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/15/2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Yes you can choose which ones to sync
    Yes you can choose which ones to sync
    great thanks. im hoping and pretty sure the Pre will offer the same choice. not sure why PalmOS Versamail EAS is an "All or nothing" deal but it's annoying. probably has to do with HotSync constraints.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    ActiveSync works really well. Don't know how I ever lived without it.
  9.    #9  

Interesting. How do you invite people?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Interesting. How do you invite people?
    I think hbg is mistaken. Currently, you can't initiate an invite from the iPhone. It's in plan for with the release of 3.0.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    If Active Sync doesn't float your boat is sounds like Good Messaging will be releasing a webOS version sometime in the future.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I think hbg is mistaken. Currently, you can't initiate an invite from the iPhone. It's in plan for with the release of 3.0.
    I have 3.0 beta 5. Guess that's why it works!
  13.    #13  
    Lucky! In one sense I'm glad I don't have 3.0 because it might convince me to come to my senses and not pay an ETF and buy a new phone, but once you get the itch it's hard to stop...
    I know that invites are going to work with 3.0. How's the email search?

Thanks,
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Yes, that would definately be why it works. Beta 5 is awesome so far. Worlds apart from Beta 1. Unfortunately, MMS was taken out of the Beta; then again, it never worked due to AT&T blocking it for iPhone provisioned accounts.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFish View Post
    Yes, that would definately be why it works. Beta 5 is awesome so far. Worlds apart from Beta 1. Unfortunately, MMS was taken out of the Beta; then again, it never worked due to AT&T blocking it for iPhone provisioned accounts.
    Just curious, has your desire to get a Pre changed since using 3.0?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    To answer the initial question, it was a limitation on apples implementation in the 2.0 OS. Each OS uses its own derivative on ActiveSync and although the functionality exists it was not put into 2.0
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com